Home birth thread

The next Sheffield Homebirth Group Meeting will be at Christine Horner's House, on the 22 November, 1.30 - 3.30, Wadsley Park, Sheffield S6. For a full address and directions please email Christine at biff@iishin.com.

The meetings are very informal and everyone including partners and children are welcome.

I know this is a fairly old thread but I just wanted to add a positive home birth story to the mix.. hope it's not too late! I had my baby (my first) in October at home and it was planned.. I had a birthing pool set up and was determined to give birth to my baby without any drugs, just using breathing, massage, tens machine, water and relaxation... we had a wonderful experience, the midwives were amazing..they were on the end of the phone throughout the early stage to be updated and to give advice and then they arrived in the early hours (2 midwives) when things really got going.. they were so respectful and hands off really (which was what i wanted) and my son was delivered safely... a third midwife came and stitched me up and I was so happy that I didn't have to go to Jesspos... the benefits of being at home are that it is so much more relaxing (as long as you want to be there of course!) and I really appreciated getting into my own bath and bed afterwards.. we felt totally supported and trusted the midwives completely...and by the way there is no way anyone will expect you to make tea! they cleaned everything up and helped me with breastfeeding before they left and my midwife was back within a few hours to check everything was ok.. the GP attended too to check baby was all ok... it was just a really good service. My husband was totally supportive of what I wanted so I didn't have to persuade him but I really think what other people have said is so true.. you are so close to the hospital and complications very rarely happen suddenly that you and the baby are really safe...

hope this helps...good luck!

thanks for that I really appreciate it. We're going to have a combination of both (a Domino) will labour at home in the early stages and move the hosp for the birthing pool withmy own midwife and delvier the baby and come home after a few hours. My husband will just feel so much more comfortable and whilst I know it's not about what he wants that has to have some bearing on our decision, it's both our baby after all!

I'm so glad you had a good experience xx

Hello..... :)

My little boy is now 6 months old and I had a planned homebirth with him. My hubby supported my decision.

I had many reasons for wanting a homebirth like, I didn;t want any pain relief etc but one main reason was that my friend is a nurse at the hallamshire hosp, (works on gynae wards) and she said that if she was having a baby she would def have a homebirth as you get better midwife care and there's less risk of infection from c dif or mrsa.

My labour and birth was AMAZING! My labour was quick (prob because I was relaxed due to being at home) I had absolutely no pain relief whatsoever, and I can honestly say that I didn;t need it. Dont get me wrong, labour is painful, but its a kind of 'nice' pain. (well for me it was anyway) About an hour after i'd gone through labour and baby had arrived I was having a shower, the midwives had gone (I had 2 midwives plus a student midwife, so got much better care than I would have in hospital) and all 3 of of us were settling down on the sofa for a cuddle and a chance to be a family. The midwife came back that afternoon the check on us and then came round everyday for about a week.

I have nothing but positive things to say about my homebirth. I dont have anything to compare it to though, but I know that I would have hated a hospital birth because mentally i'd have associated being in hospital with being ill and ended up screaming for an epidural.

If you really want a hombirth, then go for it. Studies show that it is actually safer for mother with 'uncomplicated' pregnancies. Feel free to pm me for any advice etc on how to plan for labour and if you plan to breastfeed. etc.

On another note, I did have a natural 3rd stage and ate my placenta, so if you'd like more information on this feel free to pm me.

Jen x x x

I had a brilliant home birth, my husband didn't like the idea at first but I won him round after the whole "I'm the one giving birth" talk. I think he was just concerned that there wouldn't be as much help if something was to happen to the baby. We went through with it and it was excellent, you get constant attention from the midwifes, which some people may foind is too much for them as they never leave you but it worked great for me. You can have who you want there, I had my mum and my husband, you can get a drink when you like, you can move around alot which I found helped alot.

The whole experience was just amazing, complication free birth, nice and relaxed, he was out after three pushes, no stiches and I was in my own bed by midnight and left as our own little family. FANTASTIC!

If you can win him round I would say GO FOR IT

Nothing i could say convinced my DH that a homebirth would be fine...

He was scared, understandably in case anything goes wrong.. or i can't cope etc. etc.

After our first parentcraft class with our midwife he was so impressed with her attitude towards homebirth and getting the information from her personally, that by the end of the evening he was fully behind me and my choice to aim for homebirth :)

I can understand why many men can't bear the thought of seeing their partner go through so much pain in a non-medical environment, and I think for many of them there will be no way you'll convince them otherwise...

The option then is to either go ahead without them (not a good idea) or go for a compromise if you can find one (ours would have been the birthing centre at Darley Dale), the domino birth idea sounds good :)

I shall let you know in the new year whether or not i was successful in staying at home...

Thanks everyone for all your replys xx

I had two of my children in hospital, and my youngest was born at home here in Scotland. By far the best experience for me was home, my fella loved it too. My older two children were there as well. They dashed out afterwards to tell all their friends as it was school holidays. They came back with armfuls of cards and gifts from friends and neighbours.

It was bliss. I would only ever consider a hospital birth now, if there was major reasons not to give birth at home. I never wanted to give birth in hospital anyway, was just forced into it by outside sources.

pleased to hear you have come to a decision you are both happy with. How long have you got left to wait?

Hello,

I attended a homebirth meeting in S6 last week with Christine (biff@iishin.com) and Michelle (mmmbarnes@blueyonder.co.uk).

They run a group to help mum's understand about home birth choices and have real experience themselves (they were inspirational).

They have a yahoo group that I think is health.groups.yahoo.com/sheffield home birth

Michelle and Chris use the forum but they'd be really helpful if you contacted them.

LL

We're going to have a combination of both (a Domino) will labour at home in the early stages and move the hosp for the birthing pool withmy own midwife

That's great you've reached a compromise. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and hoping for a home birth. Like you, I'm really keen on the idea of a birthing pool and was tempted by the nice photos at Jessops. Apparently you can normally get in one (assuming all is going well),but of course if they're both already taken when you go in, then you miss out. But did you know that the midwives can book you a birthing pool to use at home? My midwife has been really positive and supportive about it, the pool is already booked (free of charge) and fingers crossed the remaining 12 weeks won't throw up any complications that stop me from stopping at home and using it. You get it when you reach 37 weeks so there's a chance to practice putting it up, filling it etc.

Anyway, hope all goes well with whatever you go for.

im now 23 week and had a birth plan for me to be at home for the birth ,but now been told i cant :cry:due to the blood group im in so for health reason i cant, so it as made me very sad ,wanted it at home really bad ,:mad::sad::sad::sad::sad: