England v Portugal

What shearer said was (something like)

"I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't deck ronaldo when they get back..."

The "wouldn't be surprised" bit seems to be missing from my paper report also...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think I do recall Shearer saying something like 'I think Rooney ought to get Ronaldo in the changing rooms at Old Trafford and deck him'

I thought it was funny anyway!:;)

The World Cup is every 4 years so that should be 1/48 of that time frame.

what about the european championships?

either way, its 1/12 of a year regardless how often it comes around is it not?

At least Sven's finally gone. We have a chance now...

what about the european championships?

either way, its 1/12 of a year regardless how often it comes around is it not?

Are you seriously telling me that 4 weeks away from your family every 4 years (assuming we qualify) is a hardship. Give it a rest. They are there to play football without the distractions of new born babies (twins in Terrys case) and whatever possible domestic strife could affect them. For gods sake they are hopefully there to write their names in the history books alongside the 66 team.

To put it in perspective i'm sure the men in the armed forces serving in Iraq and Afghanistan would love just 4 weeks away every 4 years.

Are you seriously telling me that 4 weeks away from your family every 4 years (assuming we qualify) is a hardship. Give it a rest. They are there to play football without the distractions of new born babies (twins in Terrys case) and whatever possible domestic strife could affect them. For gods sake they are hopefully there to write their names in the history books alongside the 66 team.

as said, its 4 weeks every 2 years..... also there is the build up to it which is normally 3 weeks, so that makes 7 weeks in total. never said it was a hardship at all, but i believe in moderation it is beneficial to have your partners there.

in the case of terry, do you think he would play well knowing that he couldnt see his new born children until after he leaves the world cup?

so are you telling me the team off 66 would have been with out there partners?? i think not!!

To put it in perspective i'm sure the men in the armed forces serving in Iraq and Afghanistan would love just 4 weeks away every 4 years.

there choice to join the army, and they knew they would be with out them at this timescale. its not practical to have partners out there, where as it is practical to have ya partners there for the WC

as said, its 4 weeks every 2 years..... also there is the build up to it which is normally 3 weeks, so that makes 7 weeks in total. never said it was a hardship at all, but i believe in moderation it is beneficial to have your partners there.

So beneficial that we lost. :gag:

in the case of terry, do you think he would play well knowing that he couldnt see his new born children until after he leaves the world cup?.

I would have thought the prospect of his offspring having a World Cup winning father should have made him play well.

so are you telling me the team off 66 would have been with out there partners?? i think not!!.

In a word YES. Alf Ramsay would not have had the media farce of the WAGS to distract his players. Oh yes and they won.:thumbsup:

See this link to read what the old school did in their day:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz/s/217/217088_legends_rap_over_world_cup_wags.html

there choice to join the army, and they knew they would be with out them at this timescale. its not practical to have partners out there, where as it is practical to have ya partners there for the WC

I do not think I mentioned partners going to war zones. :loopy:

My point was that 4 weeks sacrifice out of the pampered lives of the multi-millionaire England team is hardly harsh when compared to the armed forces who earn a pittance. I was putting it in perspective.:rolleyes:

So beneficial that we lost. :gag:

we lost the 1970 world cup too, apparrently where no "WAGS" was allowed, whats your point?

I would have thought the prospect of his offspring having a World Cup winning father should have made him play well.

so being kept away from your new born children is beneficial? i really think not.

In a word YES. Alf Ramsay would not have had the media farce of the WAGS to distract his players. Oh yes and they won.:thumbsup:

See this link to read what the old school did in their day:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz/s/217/217088_legends_rap_over_world_cup_wags.html

while the WC was in england i find it highly hard to believe the partners was not there, regardless whether the management knew or not, no matter what any report states.

I do not think I mentioned partners going to war zones. :loopy:

My point was that 4 weeks sacrifice out of the pampered lives of the multi-millionaire England team is hardly harsh when compared to the armed forces who earn a pittance. I was putting it in perspective.:rolleyes:

i know you dint mention warzones, but you was comparing it to people out in war to players taking theres "WAGS" to "work"

as i stated before, whether you are in the army or a football player that person has CHOSEN that route in life. if you choose to go in the army you know you will be with out ya partner. if you choose to be a footballer you dont expect to be with out.so its not really a good comparison

You called?

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

On the brighter brighter side I've got fifty quid on Germany to win. Football might not be coming home, but a good night out is. :thumbsup:

Looks like you are down £50, Beans on toast again. Quick put it on France. :thumbsup:

Hi there! Besides being portuguese let me tell you that i'm extemely ashamed of Portugal's football this world cup! Our team has a lot of good players but some of them... I must confess that are really annoying, and I'm referring of course to C.Ronaldo! Since he started to play in Portugal's team he became very theatrical, and instead of using his habilities to try to reach the net he tries all the time cheating the referee! And for what is worse he dives really bad, even when no ones is touching him! I mean I don't want him to cheat better but he's a ****ing cheater which offers a bad image of Portugal! And when things went like he doesn't want to, he starts crying! And portuguese chicks love him for that! What a child! LOL He remembers me my 6 year old cousin whom starts to cry when is loosing. But there's also great players on our team, (Ricardo, Figo, Ricardo Carvalho, Maniche, Paulo Ferreira, Postiga - are my favourite ones). I just don't hope you all get a wrong image of portuguese just because of such stupid kids as C.Ronaldo. He deserves to live a hell in next season on England! AHAH ;)