Where can I find good food and service?

seem to find it virtually impossible to get a restaurant with good service (and good food). Anyone know of any? Call me a moanining old cow if you want but surely this should come as standard?

By the way anyone know what the Old Mustard Pot is like, near Stocksbridge? (with regard to food, service, beer and atmosphere).

I can't fault BB's on Devonshire green :) Lovely food, staff, service and prices!

Mustard Pot is ok-ish - food's average but pricey, service is fairly good and it's pretty quiet. I think it likes to think it's better than it actually is - if that makes sense!

It's a bit far out but I'd seriously consider giving Lovers Leap at Stoney Middleton a bash - great, friendly service, lovely bistro-style food and it's a very cosy little place to boot. Otherwise, can't go wrong with Thyme.

Try 'The Cricket Inn' Totley, Dore.

(- or The Lions Lair in town)

Both run by the same bloke.

A friend went to the cricket and said the food was fantastic and v. classy, but well-priced. Similar style at the lions except more lunchtime market. Service at both supposed to be v.good and the cricket is aiming for big things, so get there first.

I agree with Greenback's comments on the Mustard Pot.

I quite like the Foxhouse, good food, good prices, and good service. Altho' there is a downside, it is normally quite busy.

thanks for those. I have read some of the other posts, and wondered if there were more Japanese restaurants, or just the one (which didn't get particularly good reviews)? Oh, and where is Thyme and what is it like?

Thyme used to be fat jacks in broomhill, it;s expensive but dead good. only eaten once, service and food both excellent.

Originally posted by neeeeeeeeeek

Thyme used to be fat jacks in broomhill, it;s expensive but dead good. only eaten once, service and food both excellent.

That's the Thyme Cafe. The Thyme restaurant is in Crosspool.

Nomme

Originally posted by Skatiechik

I agree with Greenback's comments on the Mustard Pot.

I quite like the Foxhouse, good food, good prices, and good service. Altho' there is a downside, it is normally quite busy.

Went about a fortnight ago and it was just about empty :) Pretty nice but I've had better - went to The Sitwell Arms, Renishaw last night - steak was a right git to eat, full of grissle - took about a week to cut it up.

Go to lions lair on burgess street, also the wasabisabi is very good.

If your wanting something v.special, try fichers at baslow.

Also solas just refurbed and is pretty smart.

If your after Pasta head to the Pasta Place on Sharrowvale road, its owned by the guy who used to have santinos. V good.

Sorry, I was referring to Thyme restaurant at Crosspool. Good, modern food, and not too stuffy - though I read in some guide that some of the customers can look a little too pleased with themselves foreating there, and I can't really disagree with that comment. Still, shut your ears and you'll have a lovely time (or thyme) :)

http://www.thymeforfood.co.uk/