Central Technical School

Mr Bunn took our English class and was my form teacher at Central Tech a good chap,I have just read Terrence Russell's book "Forty years on" a good book(even if he was a "Builder") which brought back a lot of memories, he was there 1954 to 1959. I did not go until 1963 and only had one year at the old school the new school at Gleadless without Herbert Wadge was totally different.

You mention Mr. Bunn at CTS , and I was caned by him , for no reason , which I was a bit miffed. The perpetrator of this blame eluded the punishment and I did not squeal !

Wadge was a formidable Headmaster and I can imagine the school would not be the same without his leadership at the new location.

Russells book brilliant even though bias was Building.

Met him about 5 years ago an OBA dinner.

You mention Mr. Bunn at CTS , and I was caned by him , for no reason , which I was a bit miffed. The perpetrator of this blame eluded the punishment and I did not squeal !

Wadge was a formidable Headmaster and I can imagine the school would not be the same without his leadership at the new location.

Russells book brilliant even though bias was Building.

Met him about 5 years ago an OBA dinner.[/Qas it waUOTE]

Yes you sometimes got punished for things you had not done.

You also liked some teachers more than others, one I could not stand was Ken Westnedge who kicked me up the backside during metalwork, I was not very good at it and needless to say did not improve as I was nervous around him.Terence speaks highly of him and in fact he was an ex pupil at the Junior Technical School as it was called when it opened in 1933.

If you weren't naturally good at a subject some teachers would deride you rather than help, and the pupils that were good were favoured, although this applied to some teachers more than others. One fault with the CTS.

Its amazing how pupils perceived their teachers. I found Ken Westnedge a fair teacher with common sense , sadly lacking in some teachers who were on the verge of sadistic.

The teachers who I experienced as fair and with common sense I met after leaving school and they confirmed my beliefs . They also were not very cordial towards some of their colleagues who were less than fair and hyper in their teaching habits, which confirmed my suspicions.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 11:49 ----------

Just to clarify my statement on how I perceived the CTS teachers, I do not classify Mr.Bunn as less than fair. A case with me of mistaken culprit to a misdemeanor.

I would not want to name the CTS masters who were bordering on sadistic behaviour. Am sure past pupils of the school would know who I was referring.

Its amazing how pupils perceived their teachers. I found Ken Westnedge a fair teacher with common sense , sadly lacking in some teachers who were on the verge of sadistic.

The teachers who I experienced as fair and with common sense I met after leaving school and they confirmed my beliefs . They also were not very cordial towards some of their colleagues who were less than fair and hyper in their teaching habits, which confirmed my suspicions.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 11:49 ----------

Just to clarify my statement on how I perceived the CTS teachers, I do not classify Mr.Bunn as less than fair. A case with me of mistaken culprit to a misdemeanor.

I would not want to name the CTS masters who were bordering on sadistic behaviour. Am sure past pupils of the school would know who I was referring.

---------- Post added 03-05-2016 at 18:59 ----------

I can name names....BAINES for one! This sadist, employed as a teacher, almost ripped my hair out from the roots, because I simply didn't understand a workshop procedure. Today, this kind of physical abuse, would result in a sacking or prosecution. For those that were oblivious to this "discipline" you most likely had the right face, name or social background. There were numerous, similar instances, that I know of and I hope that they, like myself, did well for themselves, after they had entered a level playing field. Mine was Australia!

Edited by helbo

During my time at the Tech. (46-49) I cannot recall any bad or cruel treatment whatsoever.

If I remember correctly, '3B' (Engineering), was my last class at the CTS (1965). Then on to the ESC as a 'Trainee Technician' ($2 9s 2d a week). Does anyone remember a 'very mature' lad of that year by the name 'Des Bulmer'? His dad had a pub down Darnall, and sometimes he'd bring in a bottle of Guiness to have instead of morning milk.

That sounds like me.

Derrick Bulmer, My father had the Kings Head in Darnall.

He never missed the bottles of Guiness as he had crate loads of them.

LOL

---------- Post added 28-05-2016 at 21:55 ----------

I knew a Szpigniew Subucki and a Michael Fletcher (62-65). I think they were in 'Building', I was with the 'other mob' Does anyone remember: Paul Bailey, Gordon Carlisle, Richard Stojak and 'tough guy', Desmond Bulmer?

Mines a Guiness LOL

CTS from September 66 to July 1970. I was in the same year as the first influx of girls from Hurlfield- Susan Benson, Rhona Baker, Renata Sorella, Susan White, Elaine Elsdon, Gwen Foster, Gillian Teanby, Stephanie Crawshaw. Apologies if I have forgotten any other ladies.

Can anybody help?

I'm an old boy of the CTS (1960-5) and would like to joint the Old Boy's Association if it still exists. I am also trying to locate old School pals - particularly Mike Flynn who I lost contact with many years ago.

Any help would be appreciated and news from any classmates most welcome. Best wishes. John Cosgrove