Central Technical School

Calling all CTS 'Old Boys'! I'm working on a photographic and written account of a personal odyssey from the Don's source up on Grains Moss, to where it ends (sort of) in the appallingly named 'Dutch River' at Goole. Coincidentally, and maybe fortuitously, a couple of weeks ago I received an email from my tutor at UEA (where I'm a mature undergraduate) informing me of the opportunity to take part in a competition being run by Penguin Books.

Entrants to the competition, called 'The Penguin Wayfarer', are required to submit a two minute film highlighting their favourite walks. I decided to enter, using my 'Don Project' as material, and lo and behold, I have made it onto the long-list of twenty 'best' films. These twenty are now subject to online voting, and the ten most popular will be shortlisted for selection by Robert Macfarlane, the author of last year's bestselling book on walking 'The Old Ways'.

The winner will receive the wonderful prize of being paid to walk around England, writing, filming, and blogging about the various journeys. The winner also receives several thousand pounds worth of camping equipment, cameras, etc., with which to complete the assignment.

My film (and the other long-listed films) can be viewed at http://www.ajourneyonfoot.com. I'm currently in sixth place, and would benefit from a little help to hopefully boost my personal ballot. THAT, my dear Old Boys, is what I'm asking, most respectfully, from you. Would you please take a couple of minutes to click on the link and give me your vote? Voting ends at midnight on 26th June.

I would be most grateful for any help (and votes), and if I win, I'll be happy to provide the main Sheffield Forum with a first hand account of my 'Wayfarer' exploits as I experience them.

Best wishes,

Steve Fothergill

gerry, was you in the building side, i was there the same time as you

Did anyone go to the Central Technical School between 1952-55.

Can you remember the teachers and your other schoolmates.

Love to hear from anybody.

Happy Days!!

Calling all CTS 'Old Boys'! I'm sorry to be a pain (as I'm sure I was at school!). But I'm struggling to hold my place in the voting competition, as follows:

I'm working on a photographic and written account of a personal odyssey from the Don's source up on Grains Moss, to where it ends (sort of) in the appallingly named 'Dutch River' at Goole. Coincidentally, and maybe fortuitously, a couple of weeks ago I received an email from my tutor at UEA (where I'm a mature undergraduate) informing me of the opportunity to take part in a competition being run by Penguin Books.

Entrants to the competition, called 'The Penguin Wayfarer', are required to submit a two minute film highlighting their favourite walks. I decided to enter, using my 'Don Project' as material, and lo and behold, I have made it onto the long-list of twenty 'best' films. These twenty are now subject to online voting, and the ten most popular will be shortlisted for selection by Robert Macfarlane, the author of last year's bestselling book on walking 'The Old Ways'.

The winner will receive the wonderful prize of being paid to walk around England, writing, filming, and blogging about the various journeys. The winner also receives several thousand pounds worth of camping equipment, cameras, etc., with which to complete the assignment.

My film (and the other long-listed films) can be viewed at http://www.ajourneyonfoot.com. I'm currently in sixth place, and would benefit from a little help to hopefully boost my personal ballot. THAT, my dear Old Boys, is what I'm asking, most respectfully, from you. Would you please take a couple of minutes to click on the link and give me your vote? Voting ends at midnight on 26th June.

I would be most grateful for any help (and votes), and if I win, I'll be happy to provide the main Sheffield Forum with a first hand account of my 'Wayfarer' exploits as I experience them.

Best wishes,

Steve Fothergill

Does anyone remember the Locusts in the glass cages at the back of the science labs at Central Tech? I was there 68 to 73

I do and remember when some lads from my form who shall remain nameless that had a master key took loads of animals and the locusts out of the lab and let them loose in Rogers' office.

Anyone remember being called into assembley by Wadge to be told King George V1 had died in 1952. Did we get sent home seem to think we did.

Thanks for pm carosio, I am not able to pm you as I need to have made 5 posts before I can do that. I cannot remember Ian but then again my memory is not that good!

Anyone remember being called into assembley by Wadge to be told King George V1 had died in 1952. Did we get sent home seem to think we did.

I seem to remember we where told in morning assembly and incidentally I hated every minute at CTSS

---------- Post added 07-07-2013 at 13:26 ----------

I went to central tech from 52- 55 and I well remember the likes of Pop Gregory

the science teacher with his rubber gas tube with which he beat errant students

on a regular basis.(myself included)

I think the main thing I remember about the school was the way that discipline was enforced, I myself can remember being caned on at least a dozen occasions

by various teachers Herbert Wadge, Killer Shipley, Toffee Thornton and Bud Hollinrake to name a few, and I was not badly behaved. The one thing it did teach in my opinion was respect. You listened and didnt argue with the teachers.

No one in the other posts have mentioned the four houses. Telford, Stevenson, Bessemer and Faraday.

For myself I started in 1952 in 3x and finished up demoted to 6y in 1955.

Although I didnt have a brilliant academic record at the Tech the school certainly gave me a good grounding in skills needed as you go through life, I still use plumbing and building skills that I learned there now. I can remember a few of the names from my class. So Tony Upton, Sid Sides. Brian Tattershall

Dave Timms, Alan Cowan, Polly Potts, Keith Middleton are you out there.

Although I cant say I enjoyed my time at the tech I have to say it was a good school and it is a great pity there are no schools like it today.

By the way my name is Mick Scott if anyone remembers me.

Hi Mick,

Sorry do not remember you but remember most of the other names you mention.

Do wish I had have taken more notice of Monsieur Dove, may have helped with the Spanish I now speak.

The clue to my name is in my user name.

Hi

My dad was there in the 60's. His name is Kenneth (Ken) Widdowson. Does anyone remember him?

Hi Oldm,

I was there from 64 to 68 we moved from the town centre to Gleedless and I remember most of my time there. We used to go to the Punch Bowl pub to have a fag and of course we had Hurfield girls at the side my first love I met over the fence while we were playing rugby. Those were the days, but Pop Gregory caught ut at the punch Bowl smoking and I remember I had a pack of 10 Gold leaf, he made me smoke the rest in the school playing fields where I was sick. Then I got 3 strokes of his cane.

My name is Dave Theaker the ones I remember are Steve Nicholson, Brian Chapman and many more.

Very fond memories

Dave

Anyone at CTS between 1959 1963? on engineering side?

Hi Dave, remember me, Chris Pryor, we were in the same class, I seem to recall you lived in Woodhouse off Station Rd

Hi

My dad was there in the 60's. His name is Kenneth (Ken) Widdowson. Does anyone remember him?

Yes, I remember Ken. A "builder" as I recall, as I was. He must be about retirement age now. Am I on the right track? How's he keeping? In my mind's eye he's as easy-going (relaxed and tolerant) as ever he was and we're 16 or 17 in the Diploma class of '65.

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 22:59 ----------

Does anyone remember the Locusts in the glass cages at the back of the science labs at Central Tech? I was there 68 to 73

For the sake of accuracy in the public record, Martingaugha, can you confirm that the school ceased to operate as CTS at the end of summer term 1968 and re-opened at the beginning of autumn term that same year as Ashlea Comprehensive School?

My understanding is that the former CTS buildings then became the Upper School of Ashlea Comprehensive and that the former Hurlfield Girls School buildings became the Lower School of Ashlea Comprehensive. Is that right?

As you were a pupil in the critical year of 1968 it would be of interest if you could cast some light on the transitional arrangements. Of course there are some of us still remaining who think that the kind of education that the CTS provided should never have declined and would have a value to this day.

My Father,Don Bramall attended the Central Tec in the mid/late 40s.He is now 82,and would love to know if anyone remembers him or his best friend Man Yow Wang?