Central Technical School

Just found the site after a long time out of the area. Was at the CTS during its transistion phase to becoming Ashleigh School (1965 - 1970) would be interested to hear of anyone from this period and in particular from Derek Tingle who went on to become the headmaster.

Can someone give me details of the OBA as I didn't know there was one?

Chris1970

Try post 297 on page 15, for information on Central Tech Old Boys and when they meet.

Try post 297 on page 15, for information on Central Tech Old Boys and when they meet.

Thanks for the info Stuart - still finding my way around the forum and have read some interesting stuff about the old place.

Chris1970

I've been having a nostalgia rush. I went to CTS between 1963 and 1967. Most people used tp call me Willie. How can i help stir memories? Does anyone remember The Esqure Club, Leadmill Road? At weekends I used to do some DJing prior to Barrie Campbell coming on, and usually just before bands did their 1st slot.

I've completely lost touch with anyone mainly due to crossing the Pennines. Nowadays, I'm living just outside Preston, Lancs, in a village called Lostock Hall. What I wouldn't mind is finding out who's around, doing what and getting back in touch generally.

Names I remember? Hmmm? Good one. Dennis Hawksworth, Sparra Gilmartin, Both John Watsons (aka 230 and 231), Big Chris, John Duckenfield..... The Staley brothers. I recall one being in our year, with an obvious nickname. Alan? Married Sharon, my former girlfriend. Memory's going, I'm sorry to say. Too many bumps on my head. That's a start.

Anyz.... I'd be great to hear from people. To say the least, I've had a very insteresting life, and still am. Would it surprize anyone to hear I've been involved with Raves? Yep, that's kinda how crazy I can be. Still DJ, although not quite in the old Esquire style. More used to stuff your kids are into. Really! Trance, Techno, Drum'n'Bass, House.... and Rock.

Let's see if that sparks a few.......

Catch ya later

Bill Coopland

Well Bill

We obviously overlapped, but am struggling to place the name. Hope that you joining in the thread will flush a few more OB's out of the woodwork for the 65 -70 period.

Stll gutted to find that the school was demolished as it proved to be a good escape route for many, and I for one have good memories of staff & pupils at CTS/Ashleigh.

Chris1970

I've been having a nostalgia rush. I went to CTS between 1963 and 1967. Most people used tp call me Willie. How can i help stir memories? Does anyone remember The Esqure Club, Leadmill Road? At weekends I used to do some DJing prior to Barrie Campbell coming on, and usually just before bands did their 1st slot.

I've completely lost touch with anyone mainly due to crossing the Pennines. Nowadays, I'm living just outside Preston, Lancs, in a village called Lostock Hall. What I wouldn't mind is finding out who's around, doing what and getting back in touch generally.

Names I remember? Hmmm? Good one. Dennis Hawksworth, Sparra Gilmartin, Both John Watsons (aka 230 and 231), Big Chris, John Duckenfield..... The Staley brothers. I recall one being in our year, with an obvious nickname. Alan? Married Sharon, my former girlfriend. Memory's going, I'm sorry to say. Too many bumps on my head. That's a start.

Anyz.... I'd be great to hear from people. To say the least, I've had a very insteresting life, and still am. Would it surprize anyone to hear I've been involved with Raves? Yep, that's kinda how crazy I can be. Still DJ, although not quite in the old Esquire style. More used to stuff your kids are into. Really! Trance, Techno, Drum'n'Bass, House.... and Rock.

Let's see if that sparks a few.......

Catch ya later

Bill Coopland

You must have been in the building section I was there the same years 1963-1967 Engineering a year at the old building then up to Gleadless.

One thing you wouldn't find at the CTS was litter - not one toffee paper could be found inside or outside, if it was then someone would be ordered to pick it up. Contrast that to now where most school grounds appear knee deep in it. Builders, 60-64.

During my time at the Tech. 1946-49 I can't remember anyone getting caned. What happened to me on one occassion , I was caught by that great big. fat Police Sergeant who stood outside the Town Hall, I was kicking a tennis ball up the City Hall steps. The copper reported me to the Headmaster, his punishment for me was to be called out at assembly, on the stage & given a bollocking, that was the end of that.

You must have been there at the same time as an uncle of mine, he was Graham Norton.

You must have been in the building section I was there the same years 1963-1967 Engineering a year at the old building then up to Gleadless.

Actually, I was in Engineering! Missed getting into Building, re-sat and got into Engineering. I've been trying to think of more names. Do you remember Steve Hague, Jim Demery, Steve Smith.....? There was a tall guy, Walker, if I'm not mistaken. John Addenbrooke........

Some guys I knew came from more or less the same area, between Hinde House, Firth Park, down to Spital Hill. Would it help to remind you I had Bronchial Asthma which knocked me out of Sports periods and into Maths (of all subjects)?

Geoff Zelly? Ginger-haired guy? Always at The Mojo.

Another guy I kept bumping into from time to time was Pete Gill, when he was in Saxon and then after he left Motorhead. Not sure but, didn't he has something to do with Love Or Confusion (featuring Phil Brodie, later with Bitter Suite)? We had them on an End of Year bash up at Gleadless.

Miles Townsend! Name association got that one!

Do they spark any memories?

BTW - I went on to help Def Leppard get their first gigs, one of which was at Wesfield School, not too far away. We've had a few converations via one guy who sits in the middle. They celebrated 30 years in action last year.

Used to bump into someone at The Deep End. I've gone blank on a name apart from a couple of bands. Deeter or Dieter? Zero?

Anyz! It's nice, warm and sunny over this end today.... and there's a stunning girl asked me to go into the local park. I'm off, mate!! Can't say 'no' to a pretty face!

Actually, I was in Engineering! Missed getting into Building, re-sat and got into Engineering. I've been trying to think of more names. Do you remember Steve Hague, Jim Demery, Steve Smith.....? There was a tall guy, Walker, if I'm not mistaken. John Addenbrooke........

Some guys I knew came from more or less the same area, between Hinde House, Firth Park, down to Spital Hill. Would it help to remind you I had Bronchial Asthma which knocked me out of Sports periods and into Maths (of all subjects)?

Geoff Zelly? Ginger-haired guy? Always at The Mojo.

Another guy I kept bumping into from time to time was Pete Gill, when he was in Saxon and then after he left Motorhead. Not sure but, didn't he has something to do with Love Or Confusion (featuring Phil Brodie, later with Bitter Suite)? We had them on an End of Year bash up at Gleadless.

Miles Townsend! Name association got that one!

Do they spark any memories?

BTW - I went on to help Def Leppard get their first gigs, one of which was at Wesfield School, not too far away. We've had a few converations via one guy who sits in the middle. They celebrated 30 years in action last year.

Used to bump into someone at The Deep End. I've gone blank on a name apart from a couple of bands. Deeter or Dieter? Zero?

Anyz! It's nice, warm and sunny over this end today.... and there's a stunning girl asked me to go into the local park. I'm off, mate!! Can't say 'no' to a pretty face!

Hi Bill

Remember Steve Smith ( worked at the DVLA on leaving school) or whatever it was called in those days we knocked around in the same crowd a daft Wednesday fan as I recall we formed Concord Park Rangers football team on leaving school with Mick Blagden Derek Housley (Dexter) from the Tech also remember Steve Hague a rugby player.

Zelly was in my class first year another Ginger ninja like Steve Smith the Walker was Steve Walker I think I may have placed you now Did you wear glasses? tallish if you were from Sheffield 5 others at the tech at our time were the Hudson cousins Derek & Cyril and a big lad Chris Duke.

David Rawson

Edited by DavidRa
spelling

Hi Bill

Remember Steve Smith ( worked at the DVLA on leaving school) or whatever it was called in those days we knocked around in the same crowd a daft Wednesday fan as I recall we formed Concord Park Rangers football team on leaving school with Mick Blagden Derek Housley (Dexter) from the Tech also remember Steve Hague a rugby player.

Zelly was in my class first year another Ginger ninja like Steve Smith the Walker was Steve Walker I think I may have placed you now Did you wear glasses? tallish if you were from Sheffield 5 others at the tech at our time were the Hudson cousins Derek & Cyril and a big lad Chris Duke.

David Rawson

I wore glasses only for reading. As far as I remember, those were Buddy Holly/ Hank Marvin style. Originally, I was from the Burngreave area. Also, I'm by no means tall! 5-4. Most of us from Sheff 3 & 4 tended to be short, and with reddish brown hair. The shorter of the 2 John Waton's arrived when I did. Still recall that first morning when both answered. Caused consternation with 'Meaty' ('We're coming to a meaty bit', in a class doing Shakespeare.)

I remember bumping into Steve Smith on his way to see The Owls not too long after moving over to Hillsborough area, late 80s. He never seemed to change. The last time I saw Steve Hague, that guy didn't look well at all. His years as a copper must've taken their toll. Very distant look on his face, could hardly speak. That was around 2000.

Noticed how many STEVE's we had?

Mick Blagden rang a load of bells. I remember him now. So funny sometimes, you pull out a few names and it starts a ball rolling.

Not sure if it's right, I think Jim Demery became a pro-bowler. That guy was like his Dad, Marcel, really into 10-pin Bowling. I know Marcel was there when I got 7 strikes in a row, from being 51 in the 5th, to close out with 201.

Do you remember two lads who always seemed to land in trouble? They got caned for racial slurs on a young lad when we were out at Gleadless. Always did comic impersonations of 'Dave' Smith, one of the newer teachers. His VW had a 'banana skin' roof. Goatie and size and his build made him resemble some ape.

Was talking to someone from a band later yesterday about Pete Gill. For some reason, Andrew Gill sprang to mind. Maybe he's from somewhere else. I had him down as one of the swimmers from our year. A few represented Sheffield Schools, or trained a lot to get in.

What I shall have to do is come over to Sheffiled, try meeting up with others at the old school building. Might give a few a shock too.

Another lovely day over here, very rare in Preston. Off out to our local park, again. More frishbee challenges. The old 'beeper' still beats 'em.

This is my first entry on what I believe to be a very valuable forum. I started at CTS in 1964 after passing ther entrance exam at Gleadless Valley. I graduated in 1969 and moved on to Northumberland College of Education where I completed my teacher training. I moved to Australia (for two years) on competion of my training in 1972 and I am still here today.

Over the last week I have read every entry on this thread and found memoried flooding back of my days as a 'builder' starting in the city and then on to Ashleigh. On my last visit home to Sheffield I found the old buildings were a building site - as I was showing my wife parts of the school there was a crane inside what was the hall removing walls etc. I can't wait for our next trip to go and see the finished product - from what I have read it should be a visit full of memories.

As I left Sheffield within weeks of leaving school I have lost track of all the people I went through CTS with and would love to make some connections again - especially from members of the rugby team, the oriiginal members of the sailing club and ex builders of the period. I would really like to track down a close friend (I have tried on several trips back to Sheffield and failed at each attempt) Paul Stef...... you can't forget the sight of Paul and myself arriving at school in his soft top three wheeled Messerschmitt car.

Like many others I fondly remember those school days, yes they were tough and we were ruled with an iron fist but it did us no harm. Education has moved on since those days and schools of today are different places providing opportunities we would have given a right arm for. As a 'builder' I ended up being a good teacher and am now the Principal of a primary school with 770 students.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who remembers those days and can refresh my memories of the students I went through CTS with.

You started the year after me. I was down at the old school before we moved up to Gleadless. In a strange turn of events, when I started at Shirecliffe College, that was in the old CTS buildings in town.

Were you in the same year as the brother of someone in my year? Staley. Alan and Michael (I think).

Hopefully, one of these days, I'm going to call over where the OBs meet. Probably give some of them a heart-attack too. Some would consider I've been quite rebellious since leaving CTS.