Central Technical School

I was at the Central Technical School from 1964 -69 and wonder whether anyone has contact with Phil Slack, John Heppenstal, Michael Flynn, or others from that period?

I spent my years as a bit of a "fish out of water" at the school - physically present, but not particularly engaged, particularly with all of the practical side (Foundry Practice / Woodwork / Metalwork / Tech Drawing etc.). Whilst leaving with poor qualifications , I must have taken some of it in as I made my way to Director of one of the very large International companies. Retiring from there at 54 I now have my own businesses running very successfully in the Middle East.

My recollection of the teaching staff is of a very mixed bag, but Mr. Bunn (universally known as Albert) was an outstanding master to whom I owe a great deal.

Kind Regards to anyone who remembers

Ralph Bradshaw

I went here 60/63 what an experience ?

I remember the following teacher

Herbert wadge of course , mr Thompson , pop Gregory , sally hughes what a nice man

mr groake , and other

what a great formative experience for things technical and the world of work

Hi, I was at CTS between 1957 and 1963, so I can remember some of the things people have mentioned, I left just before the move to the new premises, was back in Sheffield for a day a couple of weeks ago and found lots of changes, but some things the same!

Does anyone know about Old Boys  meetings- location, time etc

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2007 at 20:18, saraa said:

PopT

My dads name.....Lawrence Antcliff. Excellent swimmer from a young age, and then joined the navy aged 15yrs. He swam for the navy competitively, winning most of the time, but obviosly not all! He was born in 1934 and lived in St Philips Rd. Was really interested in knowing if there were any school photographs about that I could view, as I only have a handful of my dad. I dont know of any Roy Antcliff, but one of my dads cousins is called Ron (Ronald) Antcliff, and he still lives in Hillsborough area. Any info much appreciated. By the way, I love this site.

Sara

I was at the Tech leaving in 1949, I suspect your Dad joined the RN as an Artificer Apprentice, they sat the RN entrance exam in their second year at the Tech, 16 being the maximum age for entrants. I stayed at the Tech for the 3 full years , leaving when I was 16 yrs 9 mths, joined the RN as a Stoker, leaving in 1972 as an Engineer Lieutenant. I have photos of the school sports, football teams from 49. I got them from the OB's association, try them you may be lucky.

On 24/04/2019 at 11:29, Mike Heathcote said:

I went here 60/63 what an experience ?

I remember the following teacher

Herbert wadge of course , mr Thompson , pop Gregory , sally hughes what a nice man

mr groake , and other

what a great formative experience for things technical and the world of work

Was there with you Mike - remember when French teacher [Lees?] hit you to floor with a backhander.

Regards

Jeff Linley 5B

2 hours ago, Jeff Linley said:

Was there with you Mike - remember when French teacher [Lees?] hit you to floor with a backhander.

Regards

Jeff Linley 5B

No one should forget that the CTS probably had the biggest collection of thugs in Sheffield in its staff.Some were fine but Wadge used to stagger upstairs making a pupil carry his few hundred cigarettes for the day before his daily sermon on overindulgence.Good fud was his favourite topic.In modern times many of the staff would be in prison for serious physical assaults.

The preceding remarks in my experience are totally unjustifide & a slander of the fine teachers who gave me a good ,all round, education.

On 07/10/2020 at 12:59, Jeff Linley said:

I think that we were in the same class.  Stuart Baskill

Biker, do you mean the same class as me, janner left in 1949.