Central Technical School

My brother used to go to Central tech ,his name is Stuart Orme

Hi, Back in the 50's I had a good pal who went to Central Tech. I lost touch, moving to Oz in 1964, but if anyone knows Malcolm ( Mac ) Wright, I'd love to get in touch with him again. My name is Ed Harvey. Thank You.

. HPSec

My first year at CTS was 1968-69 it was still CTS by the end of summer term 69 I was in 1.1 that first year and after the summer break I was 2b3 (2nd year Boys 3). So the transition from Tech to Comp was over that summer break and the school year 1969-70 was the time of the status and name change. I seem to recall us having a vote on how we would spell the school's new name and on a choice of about 3 almost identical ties.

I believe there was one mixed group in our Year that first year of being a Comp the male female thing did not really start to integrate till the following year. We did move from building to building right that first year but not many of us and not much. It was during the second year that it started to look like a comp, by which time we had become 3C and Jarvis our HoY told us, boys we were the worst 3rd Year group the school had ever known.

Happy to be corrected if have anything wrong.

I seem to recall we had some girls in the upper sixth form at the start of 1968, my first year (13+ exam) then in 1969 we had them in our year, that first year we stayed mainly in the CTS building and only occasionally had the odd art lesson in the hurfield building. Ashleigh was the then chosen name along with the redesigned badge, I seem to recal that a group of the boys continued to wear the CTS uniform for a while longer

Regards

I was at the CTS from 1956-1959 (Building Dept) and was wacked by Mr Wadge although I did find him to be a good teacher and strong on discipline.

.So no hard feelings!

I had two pals;David Williams and Terry Travers.Others I remember are Brian Ridge,Dave Patchett,John Winter and John Rawson.Where are they now,I wonder.

Joe Cocker was a year younger and lived close to me in later years.Incidentally,I've recently discovered that Jarvis Cocker is my second cousin!

I now live in Northumberland and remember fondly those golden years.

Ralph Wm.(Bill) St.Clair

I seem to recall we had some girls in the upper sixth form at the start of 1968, my first year (13+ exam) then in 1969 we had them in our year, that first year we stayed mainly in the CTS building and only occasionally had the odd art lesson in the hurfield building. Ashleigh was the then chosen name along with the redesigned badge, I seem to recal that a group of the boys continued to wear the CTS uniform for a while longer

Regards

There seems to be a slight question as to whether '68 or '69 was the year the school name changed from CTS to Ashleigh Comprehensive School. My guess is that there was a period of transition (as, presumably, the last pupils had entered CTS by examination and perhaps had an entitlement to sit the Diploma exam). I wonder who has the distinction of owning the youngest Diploma.

Elsewhere in this forum (i.e. Sheffield Forum) there are “pages” relating to Hurlfield Secondary Modern School.

Amongst them, hedgehog56 wrote (09-01-2009; #121):-

“I think there is some confusion about the school(s). Hurlfield Secondary Modern (girls school) became a mixed school about 1970ish and became Ashleigh Comp. Hurlfied Boys mixed and kept the name Hurlfield. This is how I remember it anyway. I started at Hurlfield Girls school in 1967 and left Ashleigh as it was called then in 1972.

“I think Hurlfield Girls mixed with City Tech but know we had two buildings after that which were the upper and lower schools. I remember the head teacher when I started was called Mrs Notts. I remember two of my form teachers were Miss Barnett, Mr Pickering, and I remember Mrs Wingrove who I think later became the headteacher.

“Does this sound familiar to anyone?”

When hedgehog56 said, “I think Hurlfield Girls mixed with City Tech” …. , she surely meant “Central Tech” (CTS). That was the fact of the matter (Hurlfield Secondary Modern School for Girls and CTS merged to become Ashleigh Comprehensive School).

The confusion was understandable. There was a lot going on in Education at the time (and Society in general), but nothing in it ever seems to have changed except for the worse, as a lot of contributors to this CTS “site”, who valued their very particular craft or artisanal education, hint. Of course, all of the craft skills that were taught then (largely by teachers who had come from “the trade”) are still in demand and required today.

In the same Hurlfield Secondary Modern School pages summer1955 says (09-01-2009; #122):-

“the boys school became hurlfield comprehensive in 1968, there was only 2 years of girls there the first and the 3rd years. i started there that year it changed over”

So, it seems that at about the same time Central Technical School became Ashleigh Comprehensive School, Hurlfield Secondary Modern School for Boys, too, became a co-educational school and went comprehensive.

I (HPSec) responded to hedgehog56 as follows (10-02-2010; #146):-

“You were right to point out the scope for confusion!

“In the summer of 1968 I left Central Technical School (on Gleadless Road), which was a boys' school. It re-opened having become co-ed in September 1968 as “Ashleigh Comprehensive – Upper School”. Some time later I think it became part of Myrtle Springs School and was perhaps known for a time towards its end as “Myrtle Springs School – Gleadless Road Site” (or something like that). You wouldn’t know when that particular building was demolished, would you?

“At the same time (September 1968 ) I believe Hurlfield Girls School re-opened, also having become co-ed, as “Ashleigh Comprehensive – Lower School”. It was demolished in 1988 if my information is correct.

“I am reasonably sure that my old head teacher (Mr Fyfe) became overall head of Ashleigh Comprehensive - with Mr Walker as head of Lower School (the former Hurlfield Girls School) and Mrs Knott (perhaps) as head of Upper School (the former Central Technical School).”

To summarise, as best I can, Central Technical School merged with Hurlfield Secondary Modern School for Girls to become Ashleigh Comprehensive School. Hurlfield Secondary Modern School for Boys went co-ed and became (I presume) Hurlfield Comp.

That part of Wikipedia under the heading “Sheffield Central Technical School” which says, “The school's name was changed to "Ashleigh School" when the new headmaster, Peter Dixon, took over shortly after the move to Gleadless and the school eventually became co-educational.” is incorrect.

It is true that Peter Dixon was the successor of HW Wadge, after an interim in which Gilbert Thompson was acting headmaster. Certainly Mr Dixon was in post as Headmaster for a couple of years, signing school reports from the end of Autumn Term 1965 up to the end of Summer Term 1967. However by the end of Autumn Term 1967, in post as Headmaster, LDL Fyfe was signing them. Quite likely he had taken up the headship from September 1967, at the beginning of Autumn Term, and, so, it was LDL Fyfe, former Head of the acclaimed co-educational Wath Grammar School, who was Headmaster and man of the moment when the Central Technical School became Ashleigh Comprehensive at the beginning of Autumn Term 1968 – not Peter Dixon.

Also (contrary to the Wikipedia item), I don’t think the School was ever called “Ashleigh School” (not officially), but “Ashleigh Comprehensive School” as the pupil of yesteryear (hedgehog56) appears to corroborate (by referring to “..... Ashleigh Comp …..”).

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that (insofar as I understand, bearing in mind that I had left CTS at the end of Summer Term 1968 ) Ashleigh Comprehensive School had two parts – Lower School (high on the hill, in the premises of the former Hurlfield Secondary Modern School for Girls) and Upper School (lower down the hill at Gleadless, in the premises of the former Central Technical School), both long since demolished. Presumably scholars sometimes had cause to trek between “Lower School” (base of the younger pupils) and “Upper School” (base of the more senior pupils). If so, they went down the hill to Upper School and up the hill to Lower School. That would have amused my dad who used to chuckle that the village school to which he went – on top of a hill - was a High School! I guess that was the one and only qualification of which he could boast – back then when schooling for most ended at the age of fourteen.

Of course, down in the city centre, we had had “West Street”, “Bow”, “Holly Street” and “Cathedral”, to which somebody had had the wit, nay the temerity, to apply the name “school”! Moreover somebody has had the wit to turn the more solid parts into accommodation of one kind or another. And somebody else has had the temerity to List that - Grade 2. In our day, as youths, we could but have wished in our wildest dreams for that to happen - that by some fluke, overnight, somebody would turn our school into a hotel or something so that we might slip the yoke and go free (…. and hang Education!).

Edited by HPSec
to remove smiley-faced emoticon, hopefully

My recollection was that "Ashleigh School" was the correct and favoured term. Fyfe used to seriously chastise anyone using the term "Comprehensive". If he said it was so.. then that's good enough for me (Pupil 1972-78 ish)

.. and we certainly had some wet and soggy treks between the schools for various lessons (all the science labs and craft workshops at Upper School, all the domestic science, art, at Lower School), Years 1-3 based at Lower School, Years 4,5, 6L, 6U at Upper School)

Richard

Edited by Vasquez Rich

Hi

I was at CTS from 1963-1967 there was a maths teacher called Tizzard in my first or second year.

One or two you missed from your list was a Mr Wolstenholme and Mr Hill who taught history.

You, David (DavidRa), responded to this “post” of mine, and Sandie too.

I thank you both, and any others who have added to our story.

As a general rule I try to get things right, but my mistake in the particular contribution was about the “crossword gurus”. I had, in the moment of typing, confused them. I think I am right to say they were Arthur Hill and Pete Lee. Both were usually to be seen in black gowns (as were Mr Wadge, Mr Thompson, Mr King and a good number of others, presumably of university degree standing). Mr Lee was the shorter of the two (probably average height) whereas Mr Hill was a tall distinguished figure who never seemed to have to do much to command authority. In many ways, I think Mr Hill was the implacable, archetypal teacher who would not have been out of place in any boys’ school throughout the land (“public”, which we would probably call “private” now, or “grammar”) or as a senior lecturer or professor in higher education.

Neither had occasion to teach me much. I seem to recall Mr Lee “stood in” once for our regular English teacher who was absent. That was in some drab, floor-boarded corner of West Street, when we were in the lower school.

For a short time, but for long enough to have done the first of the course homeworks (that served to remind me how much I disliked copying maps into an exercise book and colouring them), I was in a GCE ‘0’ Level Geography set that Mr Hill taught. I’m not sure whether it was a matter of class numbers, but I was one of a few boys whisked out and given the option to do Art with Albert Fairbrother instead - which for better or worse I took. Other pupils from the History set and perhaps from other subject classes scheduled in the same “period” were given the same choice. Having “stayed on”, post-Diploma, we had come to that happy point in our education where there was an element of choice. Before long we had the magnificent facility of the dedicated art room in the new school at Gleadless. It was on the second floor, at one end of the school – light and airy having windows on three sides to vistas we could not have imagined at the old school. Mr Hughes and his music classes (on a rather windowless third floor limited to the footprint of the music room) alone had a loftier perch.

One other correction is necessary: a smiley-faced emoticon seems to appear sometimes when I type an “eight” in my contributions to the Forum. That may have given you the impression that I didn’t want to disclose the year that I left CTS. In point of fact, it was nineteen-sixty-eight, at the end of Summer Term (or perhaps as soon as the GCE ‘A’ Level exams finished). It was a time of change. I don’t remember there being a leavers’ assembly for us that year.

What wonderful affairs those leavers’ assemblies used to be at West Street – when, whatever the high-spirited interruption and the uproar, HWW was in good mood and took it all in his giant stride. And often it was, I think, that we got out of school, before the official hour!

Mr Groarke was the other one that commanded authority! The young Mr Taylor (maths), who wore a gown and also a cap in assembly, was an ex-pupil of the school.

My recollection was that "Ashleigh School" was the correct and favoured term. Fyfe used to seriously chastise anyone using the term "Comprehensive". If he said it was so.. then that's good enough for me (Pupil 1972-78 ish)

.. and we certainly had some wet and soggy treks between the schools for various lessons (all the science labs and craft workshops at Upper School, all the domestic science, art, at Lower School), Years 1-3 based at Lower School, Years 4,5, 6L, 6U at Upper School)

Richard

Thanks for the eye witness information, Richard. I can imagine that Mr Fyfe, a grammar school man I suppose, caught in a changing world, would perhaps want the school to be called Ashleigh School and play down the comprehensive aspect. I should like to see the documentary evidence – a letterhead or a school report form - and to know what the “city fathers” called the school. Perhaps Mr Fyfe would answer. He can’t be a day over 85. You did right to do as you were told. It was the best policy for all of us. I reckon we’re fairly safe now though! And, if it were not so, there are a few contributors to these pages who are due for a thrashing or a detention. Call Ashleigh what you like!

I was just trying to determine the date on which CTS actually came to a close, and I believe, that to all intents and purposes, it was at the end of Summer Term 1968. I shall be more than content to be proved wrong. I can see that it may have endured to as late as the end of Summer Term 1969.

My main interest is in the recording of the facts where they exist and in helping to contribute to the maintenance of the essential truths about CTS whilst I still can. Where I err on detail I do hope you folk will always put me right, or remind me as your “posts” do from time to time. Being one of the last of a generation I think I have a certain responsibility. I was in the School during a very particular phase. Together, we (the likes of you and I) are writing the last chapter. Take away what seems like the harsh discipline, there was still great merit in the kind of education we received. It will be a shame if a future generation cannot take the lesson. It was a stick and carrot regime, but there were a lot of carrots – and many skills taught of a kind that would still have a value and a currency today. The notion of a school of the same type, in model form, need not be redundant in Education - even today.

As to the trekking, it always seems to have gone with the CTS territory. In the town centre days, for me. it was a service bus from beyond Hillsborough and, for all of us, the regular ups and downs in the school day from West Street to Cathedral School and trips on hired buses to “Field” at Ringinglow and to King Ted’s baths. In the Gleadless days, it was the same old bus journey to Campo Lane, a dash across “town” to Pond Street (sometimes via Cockaynes’ Arcade and the Fiesta complex, whatever that was called; sometimes via the cathedral, and one or other “Hole in the Road”; sometimes down Chapel Walk, Mulberry Street or George Street, and sometimes, on the return journey, via Hibert’s art shop at the junction of Norfolk Street and Surrey Street – all before the Crucible was built), to catch a service bus to Gleadless. Alighting on Gleadless Common, we had a lengthy walk along the “Causeway” to the school on Gleadless Road. We had corporation bus passes, but there was a price to pay for having passed the 13-plus exam, measured in time (mucking about time). Before then I used to go to the school at the top of our road, about ten minutes walk from home. Even from Gleadless we went on a hired bus to the same old baths, but instead of “Field” we had playing fields – for football, rugby and cricket – and the most magnificent tennis courts (that would have captivated Roger Taylor). Hard to believe that all that got swept away in so few years!

I can imagine your soggy journey’s between Ashleigh’s upper and lower schools. I recall the terrain, and it was always a few degrees colder up there on the heights of Gleadless for us lowlanders. My overall impression, the years having past, is that we had some sunnier days there than we ever had in the town centre – and at least we could see over the window cills, in our rose-tinted spectacles.

I think we might be quite a wealthy country if we didn’t keep building things to knock down – if we built them well in the first place and cherished them. Time for a Royal Commission on the cost of change for the sake of change! They (whoever “they” are) wouldn’t do to Eton or Harrow what they did to CTS, would they?

Soggy.. oh yes.. it's not called Myrtle Springs up there for nothing.. the grass, always lush, quite often had that spongy feel underneath and on some days you could jump up and down and hear the water squidging underneath. And hence the stories of the lower school sinking.

It was definitely colder up there than the city centre as the snowline was often halfway up East Bank Road. My Dad used to say, if there's snow it'll stay longest in two places, Manor Top and Lodge Moor.

Regards the name.. I am sure I have something official somewhere.. will go hunt in the attic/cellar.

And.. Fyfe.. yes very strict and, so we all thought, quite humourless. I remember bunking off school with Gary Parkinson to watch The Blades when the night matches were moved to afternoon because of the powercuts at the time.. and sat in the stand 4 or 5 rows in front of us.. and a Blade through and through.. Mr Fyfe.. DOH!!! Result = my 2nd appointment with Mr Cane.

Richard

Edited by Vasquez Rich

Soggy.. oh yes.. it's not called Myrtle Springs up there for nothing.. the grass, always lush, quite often had that spongy feel underneath and on some days you could jump up and down and hear the water squidging underneath. And hence the stories of the lower school sinking.

It was definitely colder up there than the city centre as the snowline was often halfway up East Bank Road. My Dad used to say, if there's snow it'll stay longest in two places, Manor Top and Lodge Moor.

Regards the name.. I am sure I have something official somewhere.. will go hunt in the attic/cellar.

And.. Fyfe.. yes very strict and, so we all thought, quite humourless. I remember bunking off school with Gary Parkinson to watch The Blades when the night matches were moved to afternoon because of the powercuts at the time.. and sat in the stand 4 or 5 rows in front of us.. and a Blade through and through.. Mr Fyfe.. DOH!!! Result = my 2nd appointment with Mr Cane.

Richard

Great reply, Richard. Adds a bit of local colour that lads like me from the north side of Sheffield would never have spotted. I remember the Sheffield Gale doing a lot of damage up East Bank Road and elsewhere. Looking forward to hearing from you when you get out of the attic. Take care, now!

You surprise me in what you say about the boss. I think we instantly took to him. Of course, we were at the very senior end of the school and that makes a difference - some of us were well on the way to pensionable age. We had got to a stage where we were volunteers and not press-ganged. And we were part of the "law" enforcement. So I guess he was on our side and we were on his - and we'd grown up with HWW. Anybody else would have seemed tamer, by comparison. LDL helped me in a number of ways and gave me some encouragement when I had some uncertainty about getting a university place (spurred me on when I could have easily given up). So I maintain the memory of him in high regard. Regretably paths never crossed. And so it was with the teachers. I don't suppose the teaching profession gets all the thanks it deserves and I'm thinking, now, that some gratitude is long overdue.

Encouragement! There's not enough of it about. I think it was Baden Powell who said something like, "It's better to get a pat on the back than to be pricked with a pin." I don't know what he would have had to say about "the cane". You can tell us sometime what the second appointment with fear was like. It was pure fear that kept me pretty much on the straight and narrow.

Aside:

I was looking at some images from the Sheffield Photo Archive tonight of Firth College (which I think we always knew as "West Street"). One image in particular (Ref. t02001) shows a rather fine portland stone Art Deco building I don't think we had access to it and I don't think it is the building we knew as "Bow Street". Has it been knocked down? I must have closer look when I'm next in Sheffield.

I attended Sheffield Central Technical School between 1961 and 1964 in the Engineering stream. This was the year the school closed down.

I no longer have a graduating certificate and would like to obtain a copy of it or at least proof of my attendance or graduation

I have been in touch with a variety of organisations, however despite them being sympathetic and helpful, no one appears to know where the records have been stored.

Any assistance or advise would be gratefully appreciated.