Central Technical School

My dad went to CTS and always refers to it with pride. I showed him this thread and was smiling reading people's recollections and grinned when he saw reference to the Old Boy's Association as he said, "I left in '46 so I'm a very old boy".

I went to the Tech 1952/55 can't remember many of the teachers now but two of them still stick in my mind, Herbert Wadge and the physics teacher Mr Mcmanus he scared the s..t out of everybody. I finished in 6b when I left, don't know if anyone remembers me. I can only remember a couple of names my mate Roger Foster and Tony Palmer, I haven't come across anyone in all the years since. Sad in a way we had some good times.

Terry Perrett

does anybody remember' killer whittem'? my old man said he used to punch yer on the arm all the time he was talking to you

Glynn

Iam doing this post on behalf of my dad ( David Johnson ) who went to the Tec School from August 1960 - September 1962.

He has asked that I write the following on some of the teachers.

Wadge Headmaster ( Drove an Austin in two tone blue)

Dep Head died in 1960, Thompson took over but didn't want the job as he was a chain smoker and had to sneek out of lessons every 10 mins , also took Mechanics

Sid Gibbons, Maths 1st years

Fairbrother , Housemaster / Tec Drawing / English

(Sally) Hughes ( A Bloke) / Choir Master / Mathes / English

(Buzz) Bee , Maths

Alf Simpson , R.E / Maths / English

Mr Groake ( Ugly bloke with glasses ) Married Miss Pross in 1961

Don Woolhouse , Tec Drawing

(Pop) Gregory , Chemisty

Mr Davies , Careers

Mr Baines, Metalwork

Mr King , English / French

Mr Parkin , Plumbing

Mr Harrington , Physics

Mr Stacey , Sawman

Mr McManus , Fitting

John Hunter , Rugby , General Teacher

Buddys/Classmates

David Sorsby, Roger Taylor (Tennis Player) Martin Dale , Stephen Dunkley, Trevor Todd.

Ive also been asked if anyone knows Andy Spivey? he lives next door to me and went to the Tec School from 1962-64/5

I am not saying these are wrong but I make a few changes as I remember them. I remember going on to meet up with some teachers when I joined certain staffs - one such kindred spirit was Roy Wostenholme who taught Physics and Maths. Later met up with Roy at Myers Grove. Roy passed away a couple of years ago. John Godbehere was another who taught Maths and went on to become HoD at Tapton. One of his contempories, Ron Upton, works/worked at Silverdale.

Frank Groarke - became a teachers' union rep. His nickname was 'Girty'. Do you remember the beam balance and those weights ne'er to be handled by human hands!?

I remember 'Fanny' Fairborther as an art master. Sally Hughes taught RE but also music - in an ineffective way with poor control. His choral duties were assisted by 'Dovie' who had an input for Speech Days.

Alf Simpson taught mechanics and did fitting or EWP (Engineering Workshop Practice). I still possess a copy of Bee & Gray, a trigonometrical text of which Bee was co-author. Davies, as well as chief of Stephenson House, taught patternmaking as well as his career duties. Ken King taught down at Cathedral School on Queen Street, alias "Jack Queen".

Two other Mathematicians were Alan 'Fred' Frow and Andy Walker who came from Abbeydale Boys' G.S. Another member of staff was Terry Wiggett. There was Arthur Hill who taught History, Don Charlesworth, Geography, and a tinsmithing pair of Ken Westnedge and Mr.Williams whose workshop was based on Arundel Place opposite the Library Theatre.

I think I probably have a photograph with Andrew Spivey on it. I remember another chum called Clive Herrington who was a speedway buff and I think Spivey had a pal called Marsh from Millhouses area? Remember Frank Green?

I met him again at Wisewood School.

I tend to share PopT's fondness of the C.T.S. and have spent many moments reminiscing with former staff come colleagues. The more you hear from the 'inside' the funnier it becomes.

I think that he taught science and sport - he was related to a neighbour of mine called Ideson

Just remembered another pair of Terry Green and Pete Lee, whom I believe were in the English department. I later met up with Pete when teaching at Tapton. He's a bit like Peter Pan, 40 years on and he still looks the same!

I'm fairly certain he will have been at Ashleigh at one time as he was a pal of Mr.Newsome.

I'm not sure of the exact dates but I think my dad went to this school. John Holbrook - does anyone remember him

Both Terry Green and Pete Lee were at Ashleigh all through the 70s I remember them very well. I've asked this before but does anyone remember Archie Sockett who was caretaker at both Central Tech and then Ashleigh.. cos I married his grand-daughter.

my dad also attended CTS school in the late 1940s, Jack Foster (now 72 and retired)

Is any O.B. able to furnish me with the words of the school song - possibly on an old Speech Day programme from the Victoria Hall? I've submitted some lines but am unable to complete it.

"From the Cheviots down to Dover

From the Wash to Milford Town

We have ....... the whole world over

Chorus:

"Flourish CTS forever pass the word along

Here's a hand and there's the other

Friendship's pledge to one another

Thanks in anticipation.

There was a photograph in Saturday (24/6)'s Star, Nostalgia Section, of form 6B 1956. Don Woolhouse was the form-master pictured with his class. He was a helpful, avuncular member of staff, head of Bessemer House and very keen on sport. Don taught Engineering Drawing and Patternmaking.

Sam T

My Forgetters getting better but my rememberer is getting worse.

What did Mr Woolhouse teach and do you know his first name?

My wife is a Woolhouse and is tracing her family, he maybe from the same cast!!!

Happy Days!!

I went to the Central Technical 1963 to 1967 i think it was technical drawing