Central Technical School

. HPSec

My first year at CTS was 1968-69 it was still CTS by the end of summer term 69 I was in 1.1 that first year and after the summer break I was 2b3 (2nd year Boys 3). So the transition from Tech to Comp was over that summer break and the school year 1969-70 was the time of the status and name change. I seem to recall us having a vote on how we would spell the school's new name and on a choice of about 3 almost identical ties.

I believe there was one mixed group in our Year that first year of being a Comp the male female thing did not really start to integrate till the following year. We did move from building to building right that first year but not many of us and not much. It was during the second year that it started to look like a comp, by which time we had become 3C and Jarvis our HoY told us, boys we were the worst 3rd Year group the school had ever known.

Happy to be corrected if have anything wrong.

My Father,Don Bramall attended the Central Tec in the mid/late 40s.He is now 82,and would love to know if anyone remembers him or his best friend Man Yow Wang?

I have a shocking memory for names, I left the Tech. summer 1949, I shall be 82 in Nov. Your father & I were contemporaries, maybe he can remember me. My name is Keith Miller.

Edited by Janner
incorrect date.

. HPSec

My first year at CTS was 1968-69 it was still CTS by the end of summer term 69 I was in 1.1 that first year and after the summer break I was 2b3 (2nd year Boys 3). So the transition from Tech to Comp was over that summer break and the school year 1969-70 was the time of the status and name change. I seem to recall us having a vote on how we would spell the school's new name and on a choice of about 3 almost identical ties.

I believe there was one mixed group in our Year that first year of being a Comp the male female thing did not really start to integrate till the following year. We did move from building to building right that first year but not many of us and not much. It was during the second year that it started to look like a comp, by which time we had become 3C and Jarvis our HoY told us, boys we were the worst 3rd Year group the school had ever known.

Happy to be corrected if have anything wrong.

Many thanks, Tommo68, for casting some light on the transition. Evidently I’ve been wrong to think that the fundamental change was in September 1968 and am glad you’ve set the record straight, and for the extra information. From time to time I wonder (and even enquire) as to when the buildings of the former Tech, at Gleadless, were demolished. Is that something you know? Also when was the last Diploma awarded – ’68 or ’69 or later?

Many thanks, Tommo68, for casting some light on the transition. Evidently I’ve been wrong to think that the fundamental change was in September 1968 and am glad you’ve set the record straight, and for the extra information. From time to time I wonder (and even enquire) as to when the buildings of the former Tech, at Gleadless, were demolished. Is that something you know? Also when was the last Diploma awarded – ’68 or ’69 or later?

Sorry can't help you on Diplomas or the demolition date. I recall driving past where the school had been and there was nothing to see but open ground, that was around 2001..ish next time I went along Gleadless Road in 2009 I think, there was an established housing estate, its a bit warren-like but it looks like private housing.

Anyone at CTS between 1959 1963? on engineering side?

I was there 1960-63 in engineering.Does anybody remember my public humiliation by Wadge.It was my final year as I was in the gallery awaiting Mr Wadges grand entrance to the morning assembly.He always made the school wait and my first lesson was at the Cathedral building on Bank street.My friend and I decided to fetch our coats from the nearby classroom while waiting for him.Unfortunately he left his office as we came and we met him in the corridor outside the hall.Stupidly I spoke as he glared at us.I said we,ve been to get us coats.That was it.He exploded,his voice booming around the school.US COATS !!! US COATS he roared.He then ,at full volume,lectured me on English.US COATS US COATS OUR COATS.The hall was full of the entire school.They must have thought that a murder was being committed.After an eternity he stormed into the stunned assembly and continued to lecture as I slunk into the balcony.This was the man who called food FUD! I shared the cane with him many times with me at the wrong end and I wasn't a bad kid.

FUD!! and SWEETMEATS rotted your teeth!!

Never had cane from Herbert myself (did from other teachers) but heard all the horror stories from others, backed up of late by earlier correspondents on here. School like life you meet some good and some bad people, thankfully more good than bad.

You wonder how the Herbert regime lasted so long? Fine line between discipline and brutality.

(engineering 59-62) …….. CTS our pride and joy?

FUD!! and SWEETMEATS rotted your teeth!!

Never had cane from Herbert myself (did from other teachers) but heard all the horror stories from others, backed up of late by earlier correspondents on here. School like life you meet some good and some bad people, thankfully more good than bad.

You wonder how the Herbert regime lasted so long? Fine line between discipline and brutality.

(engineering 59-62) …….. CTS our pride and joy?

Strangeley I don't hold a grudge against any of the teachers.It was just a way of life then.I was lazy and just drifted through school but it did set me up for a lifetime of full employment in a trade which is what it was supposed to do.

Hi Dave, remember me, Chris Pryor, we were in the same class, I seem to recall you lived in Woodhouse off Station Rd

Yes I do remember you and in our class was Brian Chapman, David Briggs, Steve Rowland,Kieth Whorehouse.

Surnames were Stefanski and the rest escape my memory.

I remember Sally Hewe's Music, Groake Physics, of course Pop Gregory Chemistry.

There are many more others I remember, but it was nearly 50 years ago and trying to put a name to a face is difficult.

But now I

---------- Post added 14-03-2014 at 19:22 ----------

Hi Dave, remember me, Chris Pryor, we were in the same class, I seem to recall you lived in Woodhouse off Station Rd

Yes I do remember you and in our class was Brian Chapman, David Briggs, Steve Rowland,Kieth Whorehouse.

Surnames were Stefanski and the rest escape my memory.

I remember Sally Hewe's Music, Groake Physics, of course Pop Gregory Chemistry.

There are many more others I remember, but it was nearly 50 years ago and trying to put a name to a face is difficult.

But now I will now try and do this.

A few questions for you, who was Pop's younger Chemistry teacher, our French teacher was nicknamed "MIFFY" I think his second name Was Smith.

The Maths teacher what was he called? and the guy who taught 'Social and Economic History' what was he called.

The other names I remember Paul Cavell, Dribble, Nobby Clark etc.

Regards

Dave

---------- Post added 14-03-2014 at 19:24 ----------

[/

Edited by sandie
Duplicate Post

At the time of my period at CTS , we all thought of Wadge as a domineering Head , where if you ever had an occasion to have to knock on that door , with terror, we all know the outcome.

However now we know differently and can see his strategy for propelling this country back to prosperity after the Second World War with his combination of discipline in achieving skills for the rebuilding of our nation and a good lifestyle for the pupil.

Unfortunately our manufacturung base in the UK has been decimated by promotion of cheap imports , leaving the original concept of promoting this country back to prosperity now a forgotten dream.

Herbert Wadge would turn in his grave if he could see the mess this country has now sunk to , and unfortunately his style of leadership is lost forever , leaving this nation sinking to Third World status.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

There were two famous people who went to the CTS.

One was Roger Taylor the tennis player.

The other was Joe Cocker the rock and blues singer.

Guess which one the teachers hated?

Would you please take a couple of minutes to click on the link and give me your vote?

Happy to oblige but where is the thing you want us to click on?

BTW I don't do sign-ups or social media, facebook twitter or similar.

There were two famous people who went to the CTS.

One was Roger Taylor the tennis player.

The other was Joe Cocker the rock and blues singer.

Guess which one the teachers hated?

Roger Taylor.?