Central Technical School

Hi Garry

I played tenor horn on that fateful speech day morning when Herbert bust a gut!!

If I remember right that was during my second year, (61 ?) I later went onto trombone after teaching myself to play it.

I have been following this thread for some time and find it interesting the different view points of contributors. To be honest I look back with fondness to my CTS days. Yes I did get caned, but usually for not handing in homework, and mostly by Fred Frow. I did not hold that as a grudge against him into later years.

A few years after leaving I lived next door to Albert Fairbrother with Nat Dove next but one. Fred used to visit Albert so I met him on a number of occasions. The first time we met he was quick to point out that his name was Alan!! We got on fine. We lost touch when Albert ran off with Katie!! The rather sexy French Mistress.

After school I embarked on a 33 year career in engineering, 25 of them at BSC Rotherham, 18 in middle-management. I was made redundant in 95 and started the next day in social work eventually ending up in government funding. I sill work part-time for the local council. I may retire at the end of next year when by contract runs out. I will be 67 by then.

Looking back over my career I cannot see how I would have had the opportunities I have had if I had stayed at Hinde House Sec Mod. I left CTS with a second class diploma, that got me a craft apprenticeship that has stood me in good stead.

Malcolm

Hi GMarshman

It is indeed a small world, I was at the Tech, in the Building Section from 1952 to 1955.

I agree with all you said about the school, I doubt if I had any chance if I hadn't had the benefit of the Tech. education.

Happy Days! PopT

Hewllo malcolmdawso and PopT

Yes I was in my final year on that fateful rehearsal Speech Day 1961. I was playing Soprano Cornet, and the whole band all sank into nothing. I do think I was the only critter left playing , and Sally cut the piece to the Bust a Gut Herbert Wadge and an avalanche of thunder!! Are you on the 61 Band photo? Are you back right or second back right?

I remember Fairbrother caning me 3 whacks for nothing . It was another critter who was the culprit but I got the blame.

PopT on your Building CTS 52 to 55 , you would have been the same form as Ron Ace Alcard, who became a successful wrestler and worked round the world as an Electrrical Engineer. I am in touch with Ron , who is living in London and hope to meet up shortly. He is 74 years now.

Gary Marshman North Wales

Hewllo malcolmdawso and PopT

Yes I was in my final year on that fateful rehearsal Speech Day 1961. I was playing Soprano Cornet, and the whole band all sank into nothing. I do think I was the only critter left playing , and Sally cut the piece to the Bust a Gut Herbert Wadge and an avalanche of thunder!! Are you on the 61 Band photo? Are you back right or second back right?

I remember Fairbrother caning me 3 whacks for nothing . It was another critter who was the culprit but I got the blame.

PopT on your Building CTS 52 to 55 , you would have been the same form as Ron Ace Alcard, who became a successful wrestler and worked round the world as an Electrrical Engineer. I am in touch with Ron , who is living in London and hope to meet up shortly. He is 74 years now.

Gary Marshman North Wales

Hi Gary

Can you send copy of photo please

Malcolm

:hihi:the photo with names sound like some of the ruffians i had the pleasure of knowing would certainly like to have a copy if possible

Edited by musquat
misspelt

musquat,

You indicate a request for a photo of CTS days?

This one in particular was a Brass Band Group photo of 1961

If you send me a private message with your E.Mail number, will be pleased to send you a copy.

Please indicate your interest ?

Gary Marshman

GMarshman

Hi I do not remember Ron Alcard but then my,

'Rememberer is getting worse but my Forgetter is getting better'

I was in classes, 3x, 5x, & 6x, maybe Ron was in 3y,5y & 6y & we didn't get to know each other.

Happy Days! PopT

If the boys in 6c/ 6D are still upwardly mobile would be curious to hear from some that I can remember pete tindall ,fluff .roger oliver, herbert,a few more but the actual names have been lost in time. Happy days spent playing shove penny and sadley the odd scrap on the benches.

regards robert pearce

If the boys in 6c/ 6D are still upwardly mobile would be curious to hear from some that I can remember pete tindall ,fluff .roger oliver, herbert,a few more but the actual names have been lost in time. Happy days spent playing shove penny and sadley the odd scrap on the benches.

regards robert pearce

If you scroll down the current History and Expats page you will find loads on the Cental Technical School or if you put Cental Technical School in Search Forums on the left and click view as threads.

I was there at the same time were you in Building or Engineering?

Obviously legendary, the shove halfpenny games. Some used combs - which were the 'in-thing' at that time but others had that rectangular piece of metal, rounded and filed at each end (under the watchful eye of Alf Simpson) that had been made as a drill gauge in EWP or 'fitting'.

Not sure if the raffle involving Wadge's coathangers was raffled as reported? My understanding was that it was the coathanger rail on which hung all of his canes. Pleased to say my only visit to his room was to get a holiday form signed.

It would be about 1963 when he whacked half a dozen pupils who had gone on a shoplifting spree to pinch yo-yo's. All hell was to play and we certainly heard about it in assembly.

Does anyone remember his lectures on 'avarice'? He always called food, 'fud'.

& three penny's thrupance

I was unfortunate to be caught out and caned by Mr Wadge.

In his room he had a 'Stick Wall Cabinet' where there was a selection of caning sticks, some thick, some thin, some cane, some solid wood and one wrapped in black tape.

He opened the cabinet and chose his weapon of choice and then gave me six of his best.

G-d only knows how he chose the appropriate stick.

During the rest of the day I couldn't sit down and I was bruised quite badly.

I thought I deserved some punishment but on this accasion the punishment was far too severe, bordering on sadism.

I still enjoyed my time at the Tech. though but I never forgot that incident.

Happy Days! PopT

Edited by PopT

Are there any class photos from 46-49. I was in the A class for the time I was there, leaving in the summer of 49. I don't recall that the head master was such a tarter as described in previous threads.