Central Technical School

Hi PopT

Thanks for message.I remember you from tech and from a meeting when I was service engineer at BSC Rotherham.Apparantly I cant contact you direct until I get five posts in. I will keep a watch on the Forum and try and contact you at a later date. I don't live in Sheffield anymore. I have moved into the country.

Hi micsco

I have sent you another PM

Regards PopT

How can I get in touch with the Old Boys Association? I was at the Central Tech` Jan`50 through to July 1955 and have every reason to be very grateful for the opportunities I received as a result. Very few Education Authorities offered the opportunities that Sheffield did at that time of a second chance of receiving a selective education.

Hi Bob, The Old Boys Association meet at Noon on the 2nd Wednesday in each month at the Leopold Hotel which of course was built on the original Central Technical School site.

The Secretary of the OB can be contacted on 07884421081.

I attended the CTS from 1956 to 59.

How can I get in touch with the Old Boys Association? I was at the Central Tech` Jan`50 through to July 1955 and have every reason to be very grateful for the opportunities I received as a result. Very few Education Authorities offered the opportunities that Sheffield did at that time of a second chance of receiving a selective education.

Missed you by 6 mths Bob, I left in the summer 49.

I am new on this site. My name is Terry Lemons. I attended the CTS from 61to 65 both at West Street and Gleadless. I was in the Building section and was in Faraday House (Red). I was active in all sports, 1st X1 football and cricket. Some mates were Shaun Burns, Roger Balme.

Have fond memories of my time there, but also aware of the strict regime. Kept out of trouble ! Can anyone remember me ?

Worked in the Telecomms Industry all my life straight from school. Still working 3 days per week for Virgin Media.

Remember all the shove halfpenny games at the old school.

Edited by lemmo

Hi Terry. I remember your name. I was in with the 'other mob' Do you remember Paul Bailey, Gordon Carlisle, Richard Stojak, Robert Taylor?

Hi helbo. Cant remember the names you quoted, but can remember the following: Lax, Middleton, Blackwell, Wildsmith, Burns, Thompson. These can be seen on the link shown on post by Muntjac on page 10.

I was always in the 1st x1 football and cricket teams and I do not appear on this photo.

Great memories of the school, and can remember many names of the teachers.

Hi helbo. Cant remember the names you quoted, but can remember the following: Lax, Middleton, Blackwell, Wildsmith, Burns, Thompson. These can be seen on the link shown on post by Muntjac on page 10.

I was always in the 1st x1 football and cricket teams and I do not appear on this photo.

Great memories of the school, and can remember many names of the teachers.

Yes-bit of a tricky winger if I remember Terry !

Hello PopT

Just Googled CTS and low and behold we have another connection. I was at CTS 1958 to 1961 , an engineer . I well remember the teachers that have been mentioned . There is an active OBA as mentioned and one of the few teachers from my day is Ron Underdown, my form teacher in fact in A1Y , who is a strong supporter of the OBA.

I now regard myself as lucky to have failed 11+ scholarship to a grammer school and had the second chance at 13 to win a place in Eng. CTS.

CTS provided the right education for the continuation of World leading British Industry, sadly allowed to deteriorate over the last 40 years .

Gary Marshman North Wales

Just heard the very sad news of the deaths of 2 CTS teachers. In November Roger (Sally) Hughes died aged 87, followed a few weeks later by Ken Westnedge who was the grand age of 91.

Sad to hear about Sally. Fond memories of school band days (Elizabethan Serenade excepted) and Ken EWP?

Hello malcolmdawson,

Regarding the sad loss of Roger Hughes and Ken Westnedge , I notice you mention the Brass band under the direction of Sally. I was a band member and played soprano cornet . I well remember Elizabethan Seranade .

Gary Marshman North Wales