Central Technical School

Mr Bee -Taught chemistry I think.

Students let me think: Badger,Sorley,Bennett, Antlcliffe,D Francis

An unknown boy brave enough to dye his hair blonde

Mr Wadge had a fit in assembly

I got expelled(asked to leave) .That took some doing from the cts-you had to really work at it.

Even though I think that I must have daydreamed through my CTS years (1960-1963),some teaching must have stuck as I ended up with a trade and full employment. Even Sally Hughes caned me!
. The Foundry Practice teacher was Mr Saul, and the teacher in the woodwork shop next to the foundry was Mr Williams = I think that he gave up with me and wood/ Robert Smith, Stephenson House

thanks for the data

I used to box there with a lad called Ray Antcliffe

He was so much better than I was .He could hit me whenever he liked but he was never where I thought he was.It was a good school and gave many of us a second chance.I still have my 2nd class diploma!-ldm30

Just watching Tom Brown's School Days and the only difference between CTS in the 60's and Rugby School in the 19th century is that the sadistic gits from CTS drove in using cars.:( Thank god for the passing of that dump and similar perverted establishments.:clap:

Mr. Bee taught math when I was at CTS (1952-57). Used to creep up behind you silently. He wore shoes with thick crepe soles so you could never know where he was in the room. He left maybe in 1955.

I remember Graham, he was in my class, I remember he had red hair. Sorry to hear that he passed away.

Sorry, only just noticed this post from several months ago. My uncle, Graham Norton did have red hair, lots of it and very curly/wavy too. I'm amazed that there's anyone around who was at CTS with him, thanks for replying Tony Tyas. As I mentioned previously, he passed away 2001, he was married but, he didn't have any children.

Just heard the very sad news of the deaths of 2 CTS teachers. In November Roger (Sally) Hughes died aged 87, followed a few weeks later by Ken Westnedge who was the grand age of 91.

I'm very sorry to read about the deaths of ken Westnedge & Sally Hughes I liked both of them very much, especially Mr Hughes he encouraged me a great deal when I played guitar at school.

I went to central tech from 52- 55 and I well remember the likes of Pop Gregory

the science teacher with his rubber gas tube with which he beat errant students

on a regular basis.(myself included)

I think the main thing I remember about the school was the way that discipline was enforced, I myself can remember being caned on at least a dozen occasions

by various teachers Herbert Wadge, Killer Shipley, Toffee Thornton and Bud Hollinrake to name a few, and I was not badly behaved. The one thing it did teach in my opinion was respect. You listened and didnt argue with the teachers.

No one in the other posts have mentioned the four houses. Telford, Stevenson, Bessemer and Faraday.

For myself I started in 1952 in 3x and finished up demoted to 6y in 1955.

Although I didnt have a brilliant academic record at the Tech the school certainly gave me a good grounding in skills needed as you go through life, I still use plumbing and building skills that I learned there now. I can remember a few of the names from my class. So Tony Upton, Sid Sides. Brian Tattershall

Dave Timms, Alan Cowan, Polly Potts, Keith Middleton are you out there.

Although I cant say I enjoyed my time at the tech I have to say it was a good school and it is a great pity there are no schools like it today.

By the way my name is Mick Scott if anyone remembers me.

Hi Micsco

I remember you from the £x Class.

I am Popt I used to sit in Alphabetical order in between Roy Tandy and Gordon Timpson.

Happy Days!

Hi PopT

I can't say as I remember G Timson but I certainly remember Roy Tandy. He was a very clever lad as I remember his shoes were always well polished and he had the neatest handwriting I ever witnessed. How sad am I remembering that. Another name that comes to mind was Carl Arbon-Davis. I met his son a few weeks back, He is the headmaster at my grandaughters school. Makes you feel old. :help:

Hi Micsco

Sent you a PM.

PopT