Central Technical School

Hi Sandie,your names familiar but I can't place you,however I do know the Daves you mentioned quite well. I looked after Barnsley Exchange (with others) for 17 years then worked in Leeds in control & CPC then Broadband diagnostics (for want of a better description. I've retired now thank goodness, it has all changed for the worse. However back to the Tech, can't remember which house I was in

but did enjoy my time there, I was at leopold st for a year & moved to gleadless,

I remember Dagnall, Denial, Gilbert, Rogers, Townend, Harris, Morris to name but a few of my peers. Phil Anderson me so I will tell him about this site when I see him, I'm sure now I have the stimulus more memories will surface.My nickname was given by Mr Green (english) but I prefer my given name, cheers Pete Gilmartin

Hi Sandie,your names familiar but I can't place you,however I do know the Daves you mentioned quite well. I looked after Barnsley Exchange (with others) for 17 years then worked in Leeds in control & CPC then Broadband diagnostics (for want of a better description. I've retired now thank goodness, it has all changed for the worse. However back to the Tech, can't remember which house I was in

but did enjoy my time there, I was at leopold st for a year & moved to gleadless,

I remember Dagnall, Denial, Gilbert, Rogers, Townend, Harris, Morris to name but a few of my peers. Phil Anderson me so I will tell him about this site when I see him, I'm sure now I have the stimulus more memories will surface.My nickname was given by Mr Green (english) but I prefer my given name, cheers Pete Gilmartin

Back to the Tech, there was Pop Gregory chemistry, Grourke Physics, Miffy French can't remember the maths teacher, but he was good. The history teacher not sure of his name, but it was called Social and Economic History.

And when Roger Taylor was playing at Wimbeldon the School stopped.

Can you remember the tuck shop at Gleedles it was great. The last time I had potato Puffs.

What memories

I have a photograph from 1967 of my class (I think it was 5B), Pop Gregory is the teacher, 26 boys in all, I'm just a tiddler (hence my nickname), I put on a spurt after joining the PO to achieve slightly above average height, maths was Walker I think, he used to throw the board duster at your head if you weren't paying attention. Do you remember down at Leopold st when Wadge tripped over the microphone lead (it used to be on a pen clip on his jacket pocket) & after falling off the dais hobbled off as his gout must have been given a right old jolt, only person brave enough to laugh was Pop. The chairs at the new school has a small cardboard disc on the back & some boys had removed them, drew the CND symbol on them & stuck them on their blazers,Wadge went ballistic, thought it was treachery against the empire,another long assembly resulted while he issued his diatribe, this was in the first month or so of moving up there.

For " Sandie"

The maths teacher was " Sally " Hughes/ Mr ! and the History teacher was Mr Hill= Agincourt here we come !

1960-64 Stephenson House

Anyone know where Ken R Goodall is/ Telford House same years

Arthur Hill died years ago -the result of too much smoking. His wife Marion was one-time head of Physics at HSGGS and I am pleased to say is still alive.

For " Sandie"

The maths teacher was " Sally " Hughes/ Mr ! and the History teacher was Mr Hill= Agincourt here we come !

1960-64 Stephenson House

Anyone know where Ken R Goodall is/ Telford House same years

My memory is not that bad Sally Hughes was the music teacher and I can not remember him teaching Math's.

I can remember Sally's classroom at the top of the school I sat at the back with Andy Wharest (forgive the spelling).

Great Memory.

Can you recall Herbert ( set sail down the assembly hall!every morning) Wadges Deputy= smoked like a trooper- smallish chap grey hair ?

You are right= " Sally" did take music but we ( A1X) had him for algebra= oh why ! and I think geometry.

Do you recall Alf Baines, Metalwork ? Dave Ellis and I bought him a giant humbug specially made at Thorntons when we left , as he was always saying " humbug" when I left the chuck key in the lathe.

I recall Sally Hughes did do maths as did other teachers but Mr Walker was head of Maths, Mr Hughes was head of music, I think Mr King was head of French, Pop was head of chemistry, Mr Groarke head of physics aided & abetted by Mr Harrington,Alf Simpson did mechanics as did Toffee Thornton, Mr Harrington also took us for applied maths at A level (very hard).

Im trying to touch base with Ken R Goodall= Telford House 1960 to 64 time. He also played football in the 1st 11= any clues ?/ tks

You are right= " Sally" did take music but we ( A1X) had him for algebra= oh why ! and I think geometry.

Do you recall Alf Baines, Metalwork ? Dave Ellis and I bought him a giant humbug specially made at Thorntons when we left , as he was always saying " humbug" when I left the chuck key in the lathe.

Who can forget Alf Baines, his hearing was perfect he could here a chuck key within 20 yards, and of course it wa a stroke of the cane.

But I have to say he taught us well and would help if asked, yo dont get that level of teaching today.

Who ran the other general metalwork shop, because I allways remember the "golden Rule" when drilling, release the pressure on the drill at the point of break through and yo will not snap the drill.

I still have the calipers made in that workshop all those years ago in the 60's.

Who remembers the "Case Hardening using Kismet"

This thread is infectus one more question what was the name of the Master in the next again workshop who taught Foundry, I allways remember using a pattern covering it in kalico and ramming the sand around it in 1 half and then the same in the second half and puting a core plug or something like, then put the 2 together and poring metal into the moulds "after removing the patteren"

Happy days

The " next foundry" was either Ken Westnedge/maybe wastnedge or Alf Simpson who also taught Mechanics ( depended on which day you got either or)= I still have my' G' cramp of which the k- nurling Im still impressed with.

The foundry teacher was a Mr Saul I recall ( poet now!)

There was a woodworking teacher called Mr Williams I believe who used to have to take aspirin after seeing my wood paring effort.!

My school mates were keith mellon/roy wilkinson/ rex carter/ ken goodall/ denis webster ++