Central Technical School

Gerry, sorry about the Pm. it appears that i am too recent a member to send or receive PMs. apparently i need to have sent at least five posts before i can use that facility.you are right ,my name is on the list. Jack Hudson is my name What is yours? i have just found out how to access PMs . itwill not allow me to send one yet.i recognised all the names on the list .here is anothercouple,Terry Lee, John Green,we shall soon have all the class at this rate. A wild guess from me,I suspect that you are Alan Lambert but i am very often wrong,yours,Jack Hudson

Gerry,i have retired now but i still keep pretty fit . the school days were great though we didnt realise it at the time.I saw Darrock Porteous in a pub about thirty years ago, he was involved in a self build project at Frechville. Vic Harrison was the city&guilds examiner at British Gas.,Bill Ollerenshaw was a very senior police officer in CID .just remembered another name terry garside,hope to hear from you soon,Jack Hudson

Jack, it is really good to hear from you after all these years. I don't know where the time went but you have brought a lot of happy memories flooding back. I don't know how you did it but you got my name right first time, that's amazing. One more name for the list. Roy Hurman

I am still working full time but since I turn 70 this year I feel it might be a good time to retire.

We left the UK in 1974 and lived in Canada for eight years before moving to the US.

Look forward to hearing from you again Jack, maybe they will let you use the PM soon.

Good luck and best wishes,

Alan

Jack,

I have tried twice to send you a PM but each time it logged me out and would not allow the messages to go through. At least according to my Inbox / Sent Items. Could you please PM me with your email address so that I can reply to you.

Good luck and best wishes.

Alan

Surprisingly good memories from you blokes up the road from the real school!

Is that the school next door that had girls?

Iam doing this post on behalf of my dad ( David Johnson ) who went to the Tec School from August 1960 - September 1962.

He has asked that I write the following on some of the teachers.

Wadge Headmaster ( Drove an Austin in two tone blue)

Dep Head died in 1960, Thompson took over but didn't want the job as he was a chain smoker and had to sneek out of lessons every 10 mins , also took Mechanics

Sid Gibbons, Maths 1st years

Fairbrother , Housemaster / Tec Drawing / English

(Sally) Hughes ( A Bloke) / Choir Master / Mathes / English

(Buzz) Bee , Maths

Alf Simpson , R.E / Maths / English

Mr Groake ( Ugly bloke with glasses ) Married Miss Pross in 1961

Don Woolhouse , Tec Drawing

(Pop) Gregory , Chemisty

Mr Davies , Careers

Mr Baines, Metalwork

Mr King , English / French

Mr Parkin , Plumbing

Mr Harrington , Physics

Mr Stacey , Sawman

Mr McManus , Fitting

John Hunter , Rugby , General Teacher

Buddys/Classmates

David Sorsby, Roger Taylor (Tennis Player) Martin Dale , Stephen Dunkley, Trevor Todd.

Ive also been asked if anyone knows Andy Spivey? he lives next door to me and went to the Tec School from 1962-64/5

Originally posted by tara

my uncle went there -40s

his name was norman antcliffe

Hi Tara,

My Dad (Bill Peatfield) went to the Central Tech in the '40s (43-46). He remembers a Norman Antcliffe at Davy United in the late '40s and early '50s. Did your Uncle Norman work for Davy United?

Today I noticed they had pulled down the school hall at the Old Central Tech.

I smiled when I saw a sign outside saying it was a architectural conservation development.

I wonder what they are going to pull down next?

Happy days!

I was at CTS 1962 to 1965 and I detested every single day. The day that I left was without doubt the greatest day of my life, even better than getting married or the birth of my children.

The staff were only interested in making you 'ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL'. Your education was of secondary importance to making you conform to their very narrowly defined dress code. I was actually sent home one day for wearing trousers that were an inch too narrow at the bottoms.

As for that evil man Herbert Wadge, all I can say is that the world is a far better place for his no longer being with us.

What finished it all for me was the day at Gleadless Road when I refused to be caned by Thornton the science teacher for something for which I wasn't responsible. Having been sent to see Wadge I was told by him to apologise to the teacher which I refused to do. The colour of his face lives with me to this day. He went purple with rage but I stood my ground and was sent home with a message for my mother to be at the school next morning.

That was probably the biggest mistake that old Herbert ever made. My mother gave him a right old rollocking and at a volume that I was assured could, quite literally, be heard all over the school. Herbert suffered a severe dent in the credibility stakes that day and I believe that he retired shortly afterwards. Good riddance! I never went back and was given early release by the Education Committee in February 1965.

I would love to know what became of my two best mates from the time that I was there. One was Derek Poole who lived in the Pitsmoor area and always wanted to join the Fire Brigade. He was affectionately known as Fred because of his striking resemblance to Fred Flintstone. The other was William (Billy) Harling who lived on Gleadless Road near the Carlton Club and was my best mate from our days at Hurlfield Boys School.

hagard Riley

I've just read your post and I'm sorry you felt you had such a bad deal there.

it seems to me you were a square peg in a round hole and should have been placed in the CTS.

Many others would have exchanged places with you from schools all over Sheffield.

Everyone I know remembers the school with fondness.

It the time I was there I had a few problems but accepted they were of my own making.

The school ran a disciplined regime and that was one of its assets and as far as education I do not think I could have received any better.

Many people who attended the school went on to greater things and the school gave thm a good grounding.

The Old Boy's Association is still in existance and to think the school has been closed for so many years is a testament to the feeling of its ex pupils.

Happy Days!