Central Technical School

In Saturday 30 June's Sheffield Star, there was a 1959 photograph of form 6Y on which "Toffee" was shown at the helm. The Star always seems to mention Joe Cocker (pictured) - and with relation to the previous two threads - I have read several times that Cocker is reputed to "have hated the school and couldn't wait to leave."

This is something far removed from myself and DavidRa who merely pointed out that we weren't very able at many of the practical skills the school had on its curriculum.

Trevor Newsam and John D. Smith, both worked for Dormer tools. Sadly John died of cancer in the early 70s and Trevor also died a few years later, both sadly missed.

see items 57 and 58 for reference to this message

I've recently retired and cleaned out my old CV files. Found my old school reports:

1961/62 form 3d

1962/63 form 5d

1963/64 form 6b

I had forgotten my days at CTS and now with a google search they are starting to come back, perhaps I can still have another red if some brain cells still exist.

The one thing I have always remembered was the old fart chemistry teacher who explained that matter can neither be created nor destroyed by suggesting that someone in the class might have as part of his body a molecule of water that was once in Julies Ceaser's ****, Happy memories.

I left the Tech. in 1949, does anyone who came after me remember the prefects little room, down the steps in the playground. We used offcuts from the pattern shop for fuel in the fireplace .

Just paid a visit to Leopold Square this morning as my wife told me there are some metal benches with metal writings on them in memory of the CTS. Nothing fantastic but worth seeing for anyone who is able to go and can relate to them.

There are words recalling Herbert W. Wadge, Ken Westnedge, Alf Simpson and Pop Gregory together with recollections/dates of some former pupils and an engraved school badge.

It's good that the school is remembered and thanks to the people who negotiated/insisted that some tribute be paid to this particular seat of learning!

My time was 1960-63. (Andrew Morris) Sally Hughes put together a group during my last year and the guys who played in it made their own guitars. I wrote some music for them which I called 'Town Hall Steps' and they played it at the Speech Day which was held in those days at the Victoria Hall. Stewart Oldfield I remember was one of the group.

Herbert Wadge was very keen to record Speech Days. I wonder what became of the recordings?

When I left, Mr. Hunter, who amongst other things was the Careers Master got me a job as a trainee Supervisor with Amalagamated Asphalt who were based on Woodbourne Road. (Long gone) One of the first jobs of proper responsibily I was given was supervising the surfacing of the roads and playgrounds at the 'new' CTS at Gleadless.

:):rant::suspect:
hi I was in 3y at this time (about '54 )with ashmore, belk, brammer bullas, carlin, chapman, corker, eastwood, fishwick, fox, francis, gregory harrison, holden, jackson, johnson, knowles, laycock, lowrie, masterman,nethergate, nutbrown, peackock, potts richardson, sides, snoddy, talbot, tattersall, timpson, wells willoughby, wint anybody know anything about these guys? kind regards from Tony G --- John Hunter,? i still have nightmares!!

Can anyone confirm this, I attended the school at the end of Leopole St ,next to the Education buildings 1936 to 1940 But then it was known as the JuniorTechnical School Can anyone out there confirm this please I seem to remember the Headmaster was a Mr Thomas

i. At last. Someone else who attended Sheffield Junior Technical School! I attended the SJTS 1940 to 1943.Mr Thomas was HM, Mr McNanus (the dreaded - nevertheless a good teacher), Physics; Mr Dove, French; Mr Wall (Dapper ladies man, used to spend much time in the HM's secretary's office!)English; Mr Creasey (? subject); W. A. S. Parker (Wasp by name, wasp by nature - vindictive), Mechanics & Sport; Barton (Pongo), Maths; Sam Headley ( stern but fair - good man), M'ch.drawing; Hagan (Dour and possibly Dutch?), Chemistry: can't remember the others.

I am told the whole site has been demolished or is in the process thereof. if you left in 1940 then like me you must be in the Octo Club. Your comments would be most welcome.

I started at SJTS September 1940 and remember all the teachers names plus DOLLY DALTON who taught pattern making and

MISS WRIGHT who taught history.Here are some student names that I remember--TAYLOR .NODDER .IVAN LAW.CARTER.KEACH.COCKBURN.ROBERTSON.RON ABBOT(LOST IN THE BLITZ).DUNN.SHAKTER.AIZLEWOOD.DON YOSPER.LONGLEY.BREITBART.FISCH.FISHER.LEYLAND.WELDON ,who was expelled for hitting Pongo Barton in the waistcoat.He must have been older than us because he came back in naval uniform.There was one other student in our class who was killed in the blitz but the name fails me.I would like to hear if anyone recognizes any of these names.

mi

I recently attended a wedding in New Zealand and was sat next to Metek Rubleski (spelling ?) who now lives in Ausralia. He attended CTS between 1957 - 1960. He was into speedway in a big way.

Does anyone remember him ?