Central Technical School

PopT.

Yes, that would have been my dad! Apparently he just missed out on representing the country at the olympics, due to Athol Still ( dont know if I have spelt his name correctly), pipping him at the post! Nevermind. One of my dads cousins was also named Les Antcliff, he died about 18mth ago, and had a brother, Dereck. Perhaps not the same family. Do you know any Bayliss's? Yet again another cousin, Terence, who also emigrated to NZ. Terence and his brother, Kenneth used to work in the family barbers shop, on Leppings lane, behind the wednesday ground. Still would love to see school photos. Will have to try the Sheffield Archives.

Saraa

pp. One of dads pals at school was a Denis Kitson.

Great Stuff Jerry

Do you remember any of these teachers?

Harry Parkin - Plumbing & Leadwork

Sam Pi-Ling - Woodwork

Sam Headley - Technical Drawing

Buckley - Brickwork

Happy Days!!

Yes. I remember Sam Headley - Tech drawing. Sam once gave me 100 lines " I must not be overcome by the exuberance of my veracity" for snitching!! I still liked him.

I was there 1941/1943. It was then called the Sheffield Junior Technical School. Other teachers were McManus -Physics, Hagan -Chemistry. Dove -French, (Pongo) Barton - Maths, Wall - English (Ladies man), Creasey - History, Thomas - Headmaster, W.A.S Parker - Mechanics (WASP by name wasp by nature!).

I am seeking some clarification in regard to whatever connection if any existed at any time between the Sheffield Junior Technical School (SJTS) and the Sheffield Central Technical School (CTS).

I attended the Sheffield Junior Technical School from 1941 to 1943. The school was located in two buildings. One bordered by Leopold Street and West Street and housed the headmaster’s office, then a Mr Thomas, the Assembly Hall, Physics Lab housing the fearsome Mr McManus, and various classrooms variously housing Messrs), Dove (French), Creasey (History), and Wall (English – a dapper Lady’s man!) etc., over three storeys. The main entrance was on West Street just above the corner from Leopold Street. The other building was on Holly Street, which housed a Mr Hagan and his Chemistry Lab on the top floor, Mr Headley and Mr (Pongo) Barton and other staff in various other classrooms on the two other floors, including the Mechanics Lab where an evil W.A.S.Parker , the WASP, had his nest. Also in the basement there was the woodworking department. One of the buildings housed the machine-shop but fading memory fails to pinpoint the location. Though I do remember endless stentorian exhortations to “REMOVE THE CHUCK KEY BEFORE YOU START”

I do not know what year the SJTS was established though rumour, conjecture, or whatever suggests it was around the start of WW2. The SJTS was a 3 year study school starting with pupils entering at 13/24 years of age, and hopefully achieving a Diploma by examination at the end of the third year, preceded by a Trial Diploma at the end of the previous term. I believe the school was set up by the Sheffield EA on a long term experimental basis taking the top 90 scorers from annual open entrance examinations, and split into 3 forms, X, A, and B. X form was filled with the top 30 scorers, A form the next 30, and B the remainder. An end of 1st year examination gave rise to a reshuffling with the top 30 scores of that examination moving into X form, the next 30 moving into A form, and the remainder into B form. Pupils then remained in these forms for the duration of their education at the school.

Perusal of all the former pupils outpourings on their varied attendances at the Central Technical School suggests, that apart from housing on it’s staff some of the worst psychopaths, sadists and child abusers since the Mongolian Horde, that 6 years was the expected duration of pupil study, and with GCSE’s being the anticipated final levels of achievement. Therefore it appears now I am incorrect in assuming that the SJTS became, in the mid 40’s, the CTS simply as a convenient name change.

However, it does appear that they occupied the same buildings, employed staff of the same names (and some with the same sadistic leanings), and that they pursued the same curriculum approximately though spread slightly wider over a longer period of study. Could it be that the SJTS was disbanded in favour of an education that allowed pupils to emerge with GCSE’s rather than an indeterminate Diploma, and hence the establishment of the CTS.

Whilst I realise the foregoing may well be just the inane ramblings of a decrepit wine soaked octogenarian, I would be grateful if someone out therefore could possibly shed some light on the mystery.

Thank you one & all for your forebearance. London

Hi London, wonder if this link helps at all? http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/CGSbuildings/CGSbuildings.html

In 11) on this buildings page, it provides the names of the schools which used the buildings. Although I have heard it referred to the Junior Technical School before, that term isn't used here. Can't help you more definitively here.

Sam Headley was Head of Telford house during my term. I later met his daughter-in-law when I worked at Myers Grove. She was a deputy-head.

I remember the drawing offices and the special erasers you had to buy at Andrews. You also had to have a cloth to wipe your set-squares for life wasn't worth living if you smeared graphite onto your plans!

I first cast eyes on Sam when he was the invigilator at the entrance exam but he never gave me further grief.

I knew Dove as a history teacher and he also played an integral part with choirs for Speech Day. He may even have had R.K./R.E. on his timetable at one time?

On another theme, another former colleague of mine at one time was Marion Hill who was Head of Physics at High Storrs School and she recently attended a staff re-union, coming from Wetherby to do so. She related that her husband, Arthur, former Head of History at CTS passed away from emphacema, a couple of years ago - "the product of too much smoking"!

I am seeking some clarification in regard to whatever connection if any existed at any time between the Sheffield Junior Technical School (SJTS) and the Sheffield Central Technical School (CTS).

I attended the Sheffield Junior Technical School from 1941 to 1943. The school was located in two buildings. One bordered by Leopold Street and West Street and housed the headmaster’s office, then a Mr Thomas, the Assembly Hall, Physics Lab housing the fearsome Mr McManus, and various classrooms variously housing Messrs), Dove (French), Creasey (History), and Wall (English – a dapper Lady’s man!) etc., over three storeys. The main entrance was on West Street just above the corner from Leopold Street. The other building was on Holly Street, which housed a Mr Hagan and his Chemistry Lab on the top floor, Mr Headley and Mr (Pongo) Barton and other staff in various other classrooms on the two other floors, including the Mechanics Lab where an evil W.A.S.Parker , the WASP, had his nest. Also in the basement there was the woodworking department. One of the buildings housed the machine-shop but fading memory fails to pinpoint the location. Though I do remember endless stentorian exhortations to “REMOVE THE CHUCK KEY BEFORE YOU START”

I do not know what year the SJTS was established though rumour, conjecture, or whatever suggests it was around the start of WW2. The SJTS was a 3 year study school starting with pupils entering at 13/24 years of age, and hopefully achieving a Diploma by examination at the end of the third year, preceded by a Trial Diploma at the end of the previous term. I believe the school was set up by the Sheffield EA on a long term experimental basis taking the top 90 scorers from annual open entrance examinations, and split into 3 forms, X, A, and B. X form was filled with the top 30 scorers, A form the next 30, and B the remainder. An end of 1st year examination gave rise to a reshuffling with the top 30 scores of that examination moving into X form, the next 30 moving into A form, and the remainder into B form. Pupils then remained in these forms for the duration of their education at the school.

Perusal of all the former pupils outpourings on their varied attendances at the Central Technical School suggests, that apart from housing on it’s staff some of the worst psychopaths, sadists and child abusers since the Mongolian Horde, that 6 years was the expected duration of pupil study, and with GCSE’s being the anticipated final levels of achievement. Therefore it appears now I am incorrect in assuming that the SJTS became, in the mid 40’s, the CTS simply as a convenient name change.

However, it does appear that they occupied the same buildings, employed staff of the same names (and some with the same sadistic leanings), and that they pursued the same curriculum approximately though spread slightly wider over a longer period of study. Could it be that the SJTS was disbanded in favour of an education that allowed pupils to emerge with GCSE’s rather than an indeterminate Diploma, and hence the establishment of the CTS.

Whilst I realise the foregoing may well be just the inane ramblings of a decrepit wine soaked octogenarian, I would be grateful if someone out therefore could possibly shed some light on the mystery.

Thank you one & all for your forebearance. London

I believe the Junior Technical School opened around 1933,it was the same school that became CTS at some stage anyone know when?

A few photos on this link http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/CGS2001STAR.html

don't be deterred by the City Grammar heading.

The machine rooms are featured in the above link. They faced out onto Leopold Street with the changing room in the basement of the West Street building.

Is there anyone still alive who recognises me from my 1949 photo!

c021.gif

Rayzor1 attended the school in the late 1940s early 50s. He a newbie to the forum so it may help the thread if someone give him a P.M. to get his memories.

Albert if I could find Rayzor1 details I would be delighted to help, late 40's is my time at the tech. maybe he will be the sole survivor who will recognise me.

Albert if I could find Rayzor1 details I would be delighted to help, late 40's is my time at the tech. maybe he will be the sole survivor who will recognise me.

He may well be one of your old school mates.

Probably he's in bed at the moment because he has always been a lazy sod. Even when he went to the Tech he made me do all his homework. (especially English grammar!!). If he's not gone off to Devon, I'll give him a kick.

I'll be 'ear wigging on the side' in case he says,' Owt about mee!'.

hi jenner,

i atended cts in 46-49,the head at that time was Dr Thomas who left at the first six month"sterm and along came the lovable wadge(no furthercomment on that score),the pupils that i remember most were,JoeThomas,riley ,keith surgey,cliffe barnsley allan jones,kevin jones,howard winstone,i can"tanyone else,i can recall some of the teachers ,and that i was in bessemer house .i remember the trips to ringinglow playing fields and having the choice of getting a game of football or legging it round the countryside doing crosscountry,turning left at the round house or if you turnd right you ended up half way to castleton,unfortunatley i cannot recall your name sorry about that it may come back just give it time

rayzor 1

He may well be one of your old school mates.

Probably he's in bed at the moment because he has always been a lazy sod. Even when he went to the Tech he made me do all his homework. (especially English grammar!!). If he's not gone off to Devon, I'll give him a kick.

I'll be 'ear wigging on the side' in case he says,' Owt about mee!'.

Albert just a reminder most of the guys I know, I do not have any statistics on this matter, but I would bet huge sums on, would have been for better at Maths than English, like yours truly I would also guess that the old 11 plus was biased towards English ,Maths was logical ,English was something you rarely heard spoken in Sheffield, obviously dependent on which area of the city you came from.

Jealous you must have earned a fortune.