Switching Off At The Mains, Does It Make Any Difference?

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Depends on what's plugged in. Something that could be on standby then it will save a little bit. Something like a lamp or kettle or toaster, or similar, which has a switch on the device, nothing.

Anything with a transformer in the plug will continue to draw current, unless you switch off at the mains.

There are lots of those in my house.

51 minutes ago, iansheff said:

If the electricity is switched off at the mains every night a torch would be needed get to bed, also I am sure I read that turning a router off and on isn't recommended. What about people who have their meters outside of the house in a box, it is totally impractical to turn the mains off every night, think of the number of falls and the increase in demand for the NHS with all the accidents.

The story is running away with itself a bit here. We have no idea what is being referred to in the OP, but I very much doubt the government are suggesting that householders switch off the mains completely to an occupied house. They will be talking about plug sockets utilised by devices that don't need to be on 24/7. Anyone of a certain age had this drilled into them years ago in order to help stop electrical fires.

The stories you read everywhere about the world ending if you turn your router off overnight are balderdash, doesn't matter how many people repeat it, it's utter tosh. It will stop digital phones plugged directly into the router working though, a relatively new problem

Edited by fools

7 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Easy search

UK Government new TV ad shares 30 second household energy saving tips | Watch (msn.com)

Has been mentioned elsewhere apparently 8 mill to tell us what we already know or should know.

Excellent value :huh:

It probably is when a huge number of people out there dont understand the price cap, and/or think their monthly direct debit payment is an "all you can eat" price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Easy search

UK Government new TV ad shares 30 second household energy saving tips | Watch (msn.com)

Has been mentioned elsewhere apparently 8 mill to tell us what we already know or should know.

Excellent value :huh:

link don't work for me, is it the elf/shapps one?

you'd think everyone would know all this stuff, but when you glance at social media, it becomes apparent there are an awful number of less than intelligent beings out there, it's a bit of an eye opener how little people know.

---

back to the op,

gov.uk/saveenergy says this:

Almost all electrical appliances in your home, such as computers, televisions, smart devices and video game consoles, draw power continuously unless unplugged. Turn off the power switch at the socket or unplug appliances from the socket when they are not in use.

which although 'almost all' is pushing it, and 'draw some power' would be more accurate, it's more or less correct. You'd think with that budget, more care would be taken over the wording

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

As to fire risk: is there any risk whatsoever if an appliance (switched-off) is left plugged-in?

And is the answer different if the plughole-switch is 'off' too?

yes, if the wall socket is live and switched on, the appliance cable is live .. so you are relying on the plug fuse and consumer unit to protect you from overload.

Edited by fools

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

It probably is when a huge number of people out there dont understand the price cap, and/or think their monthly direct debit payment is an "all you can eat" price.

The question has to be 'just who are the Hugh Number of people and where did they come from?

Are we to blame as parents  

Us older ones were brought up turning lights off, or not even turning the things on in the first place and shutting curtains.

We weren't poverty stricken but only used one room until evening and then we wouldn't think of watching Television in't 'Best room' with the light on, meals were served as a family unit and bed time was bed time.

I have done my share of running around switching lights off after the kids but hopefully at the same time installed some sort of understanding in them how to budget for food, and fuel bills.

Is technology to blame? has this present generation had it too easy? and are only now realising the extravagances of having every room in the house lit up (and central heating on) with a little Johnny or Margaretta glued to the latest gaming machine in their own rooms from the moment they walk in from school till late at night.

Harking back to food we had meals that served the whole family. There was none of this 'fussy eater' nonsense that I can remember.

Fuel bills, Mortgages (or paying rent) and turning the telly off once Carole Hersee had gone Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep were all something we did as routine.

Has anything really changed apart from being easier ?

Direct debits and BACS  make life a darn sight easier than the monthly trip t' town hall t' pay't mortgage or wages going on one hand of cards as happened on pay day. 

3 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

The question has to be 'just who are the Hugh Number of people and where did they come from?

Are we to blame as parents  

Us older ones were brought up turning lights off, or not even turning the things on in the first place and shutting curtains.

We weren't poverty stricken but only used one room until evening and then we wouldn't think of watching Television in't 'Best room' with the light on, meals were served as a family unit and bed time was bed time.

I have done my share of running around switching lights off after the kids but hopefully at the same time installed some sort of understanding in them how to budget for food, and fuel bills.

Is technology to blame? has this present generation had it too easy? and are only now realising the extravagances of having every room in the house lit up (and central heating on) with a little Johnny or Margaretta glued to the latest gaming machine in their own rooms from the moment they walk in from school till late at night.

Harking back to food we had meals that served the whole family. There was none of this 'fussy eater' nonsense that I can remember.

Fuel bills, Mortgages (or paying rent) and turning the telly off once Carole Hersee had gone Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep were all something we did as routine.

Has anything really changed apart from being easier ?

Direct debits and BACS  make life a darn sight easier than the monthly trip t' town hall t' pay't mortgage or wages going on one hand of cards as happened on pay day. 

I think education is to blame tbh. I dont recall the basics of life such as "how to read an electric meter" being taught. 

Also, in this instance the way the price cap has been advertised doesnt help either, it really should be sold as "a max of 7p per unit gas and 32p per unit electric" (or whatever the current prices are). 

I have genuinely seen posts elsewhere from people stating things like "British Gas are asking for 300 a month from me, I thought the cap was 2500 a year so are they breaking the law?" Staggering ignorance.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1