Theft of Monies from HSBC Call Centre in Bangalore, India.

Just see this on BBC News.

This is the latest in a string of incidents that have stemmed from financial institutions offshoring their contact and admin centres to Asia.

Do you think this would make the headlines if the thefts stemmed from a member of staff working in the UK, or is it sensationalism because of the ongoing debate over offshoring?

I'm sure it could happen with a UK call centre too - but I'd like to know what kind of background checks are done into the employees in Indian call centres and how they compare to those done on people who work in financial institutions in the UK. I know that my employer carries out extensive checks into an individual's background before offering them a job...can the same checks be carried out on Indian employees?

Without knowing any more than than the bare bones of the article you post, my personal response would be that there are bad apples in every barrel.

I take Andy's point that it'd be interesting to know if the vetting procedures in India are as stringent as those in the UK, tho' given the number of call centres (allegedly) operating from India, one suspects they are, given that we so rarely hear of cases like this.

Edit* you say that this is the latest in a string of cases like this?

Without knowing any more than than the bare bones of the article you post, my personal response would be that there are bad apples in every barrel.

I take Andy's point that it'd be interesting to know if the vetting procedures in India are as stringent as those in the UK, tho' given the number of call centres (allegedly) operating from India, one suspects they are, given that we so rarely hear of cases like this.

Yeah, that's roughly what it said in this other article :) It still makes me a little nervous though.

Yeah, that's roughly what it said in this other article :) It still makes me a little nervous though.

Ok, so 17 employees have been arrested this year so far in India. That's probably not a very large percentage of the call centre employees overall. Not wanting to decry what you're saying, K, but I wonder if there's an (understandable) agenda from the British trades unions?

I don't think you have to be personally nervous, as clearly your Bank will 'reimburse' (ie, you won't notice!) any losses that they incur as a result of fraud. Not, of course, unless you're a major shareholder of one of these banks. And, if you are, have I ever told you how attractive I find you? ;)

And, if you are, have I ever told you how attractive I find you? ;)

Unfortunately not; however, I do have my own hair, bladder control, and a timeshare caravan in Chapel St Leonards! ;):hihi:

I don't now why and what made me do this today. I had a call from someone saying they wanted my payment for my account as it was late for my credit card. They kept giving me the correct bank address but the wrong postcode. Now anyone who is unaware of the calls or scams like this would have given the payments over the phone. I just felt it seemed strange that they had never phoned me to pay them before. I said as you are asking me to confirm who I am, will you please confirm who you are then. I asked where she was based she said bangalor, india. I was very curious. I don't know what made me ask. I said I don't bank there sorry. I had not heard about there scams. Until today. I have just read it now. I am so shocked how they can just do it so easy over the phone. It makes me angry when they keep saying "but Madame I can asure you". I said I can asure you are not getting my money. I won't be paying over the phone no more. just in my bank. Cheeky gits they are. Why cant they work like we have to. honest work do em good. No wonder they taking over. gitz

On the subject of Indian call centres, I was ringing up BT a few weeks ago, and moanining about something.

The guy I was speaking to had such an Indian accent that I could hardly tell what he was saying.

In exsasperation I said to him 'Whats the weather like in Bombay today then?'

He replied ' I dont know sir, Im in Bolton'

Collapse of stout party :D

That will teach me not to lose my temper so easily :hihi:

On the subject of Indian call centres, I was ringing up BT a few weeks ago, and moanining about something.

The guy I was speaking to had such an Indian accent that I could hardly tell what he was saying.

In exsasperation I said to him 'Whats the weather like in Bombay today then?'

He replied ' I dont know sir, Im in Bolton'

Collapse of stout party :D

That will teach me not to lose my temper so easily :hihi:

He possibly was, but if anyone saw the documentary 'India Calling' that was on the Beeb a couple of years ago, the company the employees worked for told the staff to say they were in Birmingham if anyone asked them! ;)

It makes me laugh how they all take on 'English sounding' names. :rolleyes:

Thieves

I can't see the banks opening call centres in Nigeria any time soon - or will they?

He possibly was, but if anyone saw the documentary 'India Calling' that was on the Beeb a couple of years ago, the company the employees worked for told the staff to say they were in Birmingham if anyone asked them! ;)

Wasn't that the NUD call centre Kristian :suspect: