New Rules For Cyclists?

Mothers with prams slamming into ones ankles , crowding out bus passages , talking to other pram pushes while blocking  pave ments  forcing people to step into the road and get knocked down by a kid on a chopper , meanwhile the car driver goes surenly about their  little trip to the corner shop  driving under the speed limit and waving pleasantly while passing the odd cyclist on their way to  Work in Worksop .

You're being manipulated.

The government is having a total nightmare at the moment : inflation, wage suppression, drought, water pollution, the NHS is falling apart, etc. etc.

so they throw something under the bus to distract us,  something that'll get the angry public hating someone else for a bit.

'number plates for bikes?' - perfect.

(millions of tonnes of raw sewage are being pumped into our rivers and beaches, but here we are discussing pointless, unworkable, expensive, distracting trivia)

Edited by ads36
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The government is having a total nightmare at the moment : inflation, wage suppression, drought, water pollution, the NHS is falling apart, etc. etc.

so they throw something under the bus to distract us,  something that'll get the angry public hating someone else for a bit.

(millions of tonnes of raw sewage are being pumped into our rivers and beaches, but here we are discussing pointless, unworkable, expensive, distracting trivia)

Exactly right.  I couldn't agree more

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ads36 said:

There’s also a leadership contest going on and current Tory ministers are looking to the future.

This article reckons that this proposal is about Grant Shapps positioning himself away from Boris Johnson, who has been responsible for a lot of this government’s pro cycling policies, which aren’t always popular with other elements in the party.

Research was actually done by department for transport into this proposal a few years ago and it was concluded that there was no real benefit.

The research report concluded:

The government has no plans to introduce a registration and licensing regime for cyclists because the costs and complexity of introducing such a system would significantly outweigh the benefits.”

“bicycles involved in collisions on the highway are far less likely to cause serious injury to other road users”, and “cycling has clear benefits” for wider society, which a registration and licensing system would "significantly reduce”.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bassett one said:

ABOUT TIME    we got these demanding road users to have number plates,they demand there own road space ect,i agree plus insurance for 17 year old plus and i would have road tax as well,it would be fair ,i fully expect them to say no why should we have number plates,i say why not,why not insurance to help car drivers if there cars get damaged and road tax as they use them,also electric scooters as well,i am sure most will say no , but lifes is about opinions is it not.

B1 - we've told you about this before & we thought you had got it!

Now print this out & stick it on the fridge door with a burger shaped fridge magnet

There is no such thing as Road Tax

There is a tax based on vehicle emissions - bicycles do not give off emissions so are not be liable to tax - not even Padders on his penny farthing after a lentil madras, still no emissions (although possibly some gas)

So I could ride my bicycle 10 billion miles in a year - no emissions - no tax - that is correct

You could drive your Rolls Royce Corniche 1 mile in a year - emissions - tax payable - that is correct

Tell us that you've got it - please

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Insurance wouldnt cost nothing, though ;)

True.

Some cyclists have it, some don't. Some motorists have it, some don't. I'd be more inclined to get the number of motorists insured closer to 100% first

Just 'done a Google' - I could get insured for £25 for a year for a bicycle - covers very little - BUT I would have insurance as requested

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Insurance wouldnt cost nothing, though ;)

it does though.

3rd party cycling insurance is often included, for free, with your home insurance.

Edited by ads36

Just now, ads36 said:

it does though.

3rd party cycling insurance is often included, for free, with your home insurance.

Home insurance isnt free ;)

1 minute ago, MJ01 said:

I could get insured for £25 for a year for a bicycle - covers very little - BUT I would have insurance as requested

you're paying for insurance against theft. and legal assistance when you get clobbered by a car.

the 3rd part element is essentially free.

Totally laughable that people are giving this time

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Findlay said:

Totally laughable that people are giving this time

Served a purpose for the Tories for a bit to take the headlines off crippling energy bills, spiralling inflation and our water providers pumping s*** onto our beaches.

Red meat for right wing headbangers.

• Like 1