Sign in to follow this  

Tomato's

First time this year , I have grown Tumbling Toms  in hanging baskets . Just ripening up now and they are lovely and plenty of  fruit  . What makes it better is I grew them from seed 

After losing half last years crop to late blight, I've gone all blight resistant varieties this year.

The small variety (Vesper) is doing well, I'm getting a bowl full every day, the larger Magic Mountain and Fandango have only had a few ripe fruits so far and there are lots of blossom end rot casualties due to getting caught out by the very hot weather and not watering in time but I've only lost a kilo. I've got about 50 plants and spent very little on seed as I plant about 3 seeds of each variety and then root all the side-shoots to make new clone plants.

I limited myself to about 4 bags of compost and the rest are straight in the ground, I don't have a greenhouse. The ones I've got in my mum's greenhouse are doing great and every time I visit we have a large tom sliced on a burger, with fried onions and mayo.

Edited by Norbert

On 13/08/2022 at 21:45, hackey lad said:

First time this year , I have grown Tumbling Toms  in hanging baskets . Just ripening up now and they are lovely and plenty of  fruit  . What makes it better is I grew them from seed 

Same here but mine are in pots outside.

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

Same here but mine are in pots outside.

Definitely  growing them again next year . Do you know roughly when Moneymakers are due to ripen ?  Mine are outside in the ground 

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Definitely  growing them again next year . Do you know roughly when Moneymakers are due to ripen ?  Mine are outside in the ground 

No sorry, I’m a complete novice I’ve never had a garden before this year.

11 hours ago, lazarus said:

No sorry, I’m a complete novice I’ve never had a garden before this year.

No worries mate , keep it up its lovely to see your own flowers in bloom 

You should be picking toms around now, for outdoor salad toms it’s not been a good year. Only lately has it been warm enough and lack of water with cold drying winds did not help.

Got to agree that bush/trailing toms are prolific and dead easy to care for.

As most growers get gluts of salad tomatoes and end up making sauces I think growing the San Marzano variety is the way to go as they are the perfect Tom for preserving.