Removing Sky Equipment

I hope someone can help. Having recently moved I was supposed to have my sky phone/broadband/tv set up in my new home.  But afrer some time with no phone sky admitted they had no idea when it would be connected and advised me to go elsewhere. So I have moved to Talktalk and cut all ties with Sky. Of course they want their equipment back, which is fine. but I'm unsure about how to disconnect the sky box from the cable, there seem to be 2 plugs on the end of a single cable which leads through the wall to the dish.  Also do I have to be left with the cable that does nothing but clutter up the corner. Any advice please?

Just unscrew the two cables from the back of your box. It's dead easy.

As for the cable? I'd pull it back through the wall and snip it. Then just fill the hole and repaint. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

The cable just unscrews from the back of the box but make sure you unplug it from the mains electric first before messing with anything, just to be on the safe side. . The cable then could be used for free sat if you wanted to by a box or just coil it up and tape it. I would hold onto it though as you may want to go back and use the dish sometime.

How do you connect to Tiscali TV? Just by wifi is it?

Oh golly I have never heard of Tiscali tv. I have ordered a new freeview box. I was never much impressed with sky channels anyway!

Thank you both for your prompt replies, much appreciated.

39 minutes ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

The cable just unscrews from the back of the box but make sure you unplug it from the mains electric first before messing with anything, just to be on the safe side. . The cable then could be used for free sat if you wanted to by a box or just coil it up and tape it. I would hold onto it though as you may want to go back and use the dish sometime.

How do you connect to Tiscali TV? Just by wifi is it?

The OP (or anyone) what have a massive problem connecting to Tiscali TV - that disappeared when the company went bust and TT bought the UK assets.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't really advise cutting the wires and stuffing them back through your wall, you never know what you might decide in the future for swapping suppliers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

I wouldn't really advise cutting the wires and stuffing them back through your wall, you never know what you might decide in the future for swapping suppliers.

One thing I can be sure of,, I will never give sky another penny. Although I will leave the cable in  place for a possible future occupier who may want it.

Can't a Freesat box be used the dish, think there are more channels than Freeview.

• Like 2

Get a freesat box.

IPTV on a fire stick is a good option for all the other channels so I hear.

• Like 1

Too late I'm afraid, I've already got a freeview box. I don't watch that much tv really but do like to be able to record some late night programmes for viewing when I choose.

Pretty sure you can use a Sky box, just to get the Freesat channels.

With some newer TV, you can just plug the cable from the Satellite dish directly in to the back of your TV. The Freesat box is essentially built in to the TV, so you don't need a separate box (and additional remote control etc).

You might need a viewing card from Sky, used to be a one off £20 or something like that.

15 hours ago, Waldo said:

Pretty sure you can use a Sky box, just to get the Freesat channels.

Thats all well and good but a term and condition of having the SkyQ box is that if you end your sub, you have to send the box back.  The OP mentioned he had to send it back right at the start of the thread.

Edited by HeHasRisen