Confusing Bicycle Lanes - Saint Mary's Square

The bicycle lanes on Saint Mary's Square (underground) are very confusing. For example, they change from being on one side from approaching from Ecclesall Road, to anotherside as you approach and move on to Moorhead. Why do they change which side they are? Why can't they pick a side and stick to it? Us walkers have to yo-yo between sides. Then again, when did anything the council does have any logic to it?!

55 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

The bicycle lanes on Saint Mary's Square (underground) are very confusing. For example, they change from being on one side from approaching from Ecclesall Road, to anotherside as you approach and move on to Moorhead. Why do they change which side they are? Why can't they pick a side and stick to it? Us walkers have to yo-yo between sides. Then again, when did anything the council does have any logic to it?!

Does anyone actually use the lanes ? 

• Like 1

They are on the same side (left) in every direction from the middle of the roundabout. So it is consistent. Why it's the left? Don't know.

Personally, the space is so restricted that pedestrians & cyclists alike are just best being cautious at each turn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

They are on the same side (left) in every direction from the middle of the roundabout. So it is consistent. Why it's the left? Don't know.

Personally, the space is so restricted that pedestrians & cyclists alike are just best being cautious at each turn.

If I am walking to the city it changes from left to right. Cyclists come along at quite a speed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

**EDIT** was already said/answered above... no point repeating :)

Edited by Ghozer
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AndrewC said:

thank you this had often puzzled me as well

14 hours ago, LovePotion said:

If I am walking to the city it changes from left to right. Cyclists come along at quite a speed.

I mean, I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but it is consistent, even if it means you have to switch from one side to the other in the middle of the roundabout.

It has 'rotational symmetry'.

Ultimately, I suspect the logic is that if the cycle lane is always on the left when it reaches the 'exit', i.e. the outside of the roundabout, that helps people approaching the roundabout know which side of the exit the bikes will be on, though I imagine the signs and surface markings do just as much to that end.

Like I say, it's such a tight underpass with blind corners, the only sure-fire way to keep people from bumping in to each other is slowing down at each junction.

17 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I'm wrong; I've just been in to town and walked back this way.

They are on the left accept for the one that leads to the Exeter Road/Broomhall flats. That cycle lane is on the right as you walk from the middle if the roundabout.

So if you're walking from The Moor to the north side of Ecclesall Road, the cycle lane is always on the right.