Skegness Beach Car Park Toilets Only Payable By A 40p Contactless Payment

I originally put this on the Sheffield forum because many Sheffielders go to Skegness, but it has been moved to "General", at least it will probably get more exposure here.

The public toilets at the huge Princes Parade car park will now only accept contactless payment and it's 40p a person, so if there are four of you (and you all paid, I wouldn't......) that's £1.60.

Contactless only payment for use of  public toilet is quite plainly an absolute disgrace. A publicly funded service is now unavailable to anyone without a bank account and means of contactless payment. Even those of us with the latter will unavoidably now get their bank statement filled with "SPAM transactions". One wonders what people who get charged for bank transactions will make of it, my business account charges me 35p for every digital debit or credit.

The loo at the Tower Gardens does still accept cash (at the moment...) but is also 40p a pop (or should that be poop ? )

The actual car park is supposed to accept cash but the terminal we used did not work and nor did the PIN terminal. The queue at that terminal was huge BTW, thus disproving the dictum that everyone want to pay with an App or contactless. It's £8 for the day and one would have thought that having paid that much to park one's car the loos would be free, but apparently not !

TBH it has rather put me off going to Skegness again.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

One wonders what people who get charged for bank transactions will make of it, my business account charges me 35p for every digital debit or credit.

So don't put a toilet trip on business expenses, use your personal card?

I assume you're your own boss?

Just like high gas and electricity prices, if you think the price is too high, don't use it.

How much do chemical toilets cost?

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Just like high gas and electricity prices, if you think the price is too high, don't use it.

What’s the alternative?

32 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

So don't put a toilet trip on business expenses, use your personal card?

I assume you're your own boss?

What if you're on a business trip to Skegness ? But the basis of my point stands on its own, not everyone gets "free banking". In fact an article I read the other year suggested nobody does because "free banking" is not really free at all as it is subsidised by a  crap interest rate etc.

Guest sibon
8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The sea.

We’ve already established that the North Sea is too cold for Justin.

He prefers the Caribbean . I’ve no idea how much a pee costs in Antigua.

25 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I do think the price is too high (particularly as the cost of the car park is so extortionate : £8), but I think the fact one can only access those facilities by using a contactless method of payment is even worse, far worse in fact.

Another point is when we go on the beach for the day we always used to work out roughly how much money we'd need and only take that. We would never take our wallets or cards. That loo is the nearest to the beach, in fact its the only one near the beach.

What a stupid answer " don't use it ", well if you gotta go then you gotta go.

I would find the nearest bush personally and it is a disgrace to have to pay for a public loo.

You could carry something in your car and do it discretely I do that anyway, doing it in the sea is hardly discreet unless your swimming in it.  

Edited by Cody's Granddad

8 minutes ago, sibon said:

We’ve already established that the North Sea is too cold for Justin.

He prefers the Caribbean . I’ve no idea how much a pee costs in Antigua.

Sibon is unfortunately showing his trolling tendencies again...... One cannot even debate the restricted access to public toilets without him starting up.

And I did swim actually, not that it's at all relevant.

29 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

What’s the alternative?

Apparently public urination is a bigger problem in Skegness than it used to be, or so a few of the locals told us.

Edited by Chekhov

2 minutes ago, Cody's Granddad said:

What a stupid answer " don't use it ", well if you gotta go then you gotta go.

I would find the nearest bush personally and it is a disgrace to have to pay for a public loo.

You could carry something in your car and do it discretely I do that anyway, doing it in the sea is hard discreet unless your swimming in it.  

Bit difficult to poo in a bottle 

its a sad fact ,but its all down to costs,i went to the big reggae event and that was free ,and we used the free toilets on offer in the car park,and i know they cost fortunes as we paid for our event £1,200 for 6 plastic outdoor loos for 24 hours,its expensive 40p but what can you do use the sea? or pubs there free.