Another Parking Issue.

People realise the verges serve a purpose right, I mean other than offering green space?

11 hours ago, Ashcroft said:

We need more parking on Lansdown estate and the verges are a good place for them to be.  The issue is not in the city centre its in the estate where people pay for parking and not able to a lot of the time.  I would like to help reach the carbon reduction target by not spending extra half of hour finding somewhere to park and it would also make me use the car less.

The trouble is that they are not actually verges as most people understand that term.

Those are landscaped areas around the flats. 

Any planner or architect will tell you that having green space in a built up urban area is very important to people's wellbeing.

The landscaped areas have a lot of mature trees in them and I can only see limited scope for extending the existing off street parking without having to take out lots of mature trees. Even then, the grassed area could have buried services in them which could affect the viability of putting parking in. I'm sure there will also be people who will object to tarmacing over grassed areas. It won't be straightforward.

The council are going to be very reluctant to tarmac over communal green space and they will be especially reluctant to take out trees, given the negative publicity it attracts. Two of your three ward councillors are Green Party and they will no doubt have concerns on the environmental impact of  any such proposal.

Increasing the available parking (76 spaces you say) by even 50% isn't going to make much of a dent in overall demand when there are 980 homes.

The fundamental problem is that you live in a densely populated area with limited scope for parking. The council won't be able to change that and they are already doing the best they can to manage the problem.

Protect your amenity put a planter on the grass verge.

(also increase parking numbers and traffic flow without resorting to restrictions)

As drivers in general cannot be educated and mostly behave like fish we decided to help them.

The symptoms:

Having damaged the kerb edge by sinking it below the gutter. Having turned the grass verge into mud on which people slip.

As they did not want to step out onto mud they parked on the footway. 

Following each other like lemmings into non-existant gaps, flow slowed due to bad parking.

The cure:

Planters along the grass verge. 

The outcomes:

Cars park in line and therefore closer together.

Cars park on one side of the road enabling a clear view ahead for thru' traffic.

Easier for residents to exit and enter driveways.

Nicer environment.

Safer for everybody.