12 hours ago, RollingJ said:

No problem, and I admit I had forgotten about that stop, as it was one I don't remember ever having cause to use, although in my dim and distant memory I do recall there was a service at that point.

I suspect that big unused space is private property, but it  wouldn't really be much use without some major re-configuration of the road network in the area  - would it? Genuine question.

There is a photograph from Historic England page about Sheffield Midland station.

Taken before the taxi rank was removed and the new ticket hall and indoor concourse were built.

As the vast majority of passengers arrived by foot by two crossings and an underpass, the area was highly congested, dirty and dangerous. It was then and still is the most air polluted place in Sheffield.

Before that there was a bus 'hub' where the ramp and fountains are now:(Sheffield History Forum-zoomable)

775599522_ThecitycentreSheffield1950_BritainFromAbove.jpg.d6642742ace0a764221230379bf4ed45.jpg

The photograph in the link is taken looking at the taxi shed entrance at bottom edge in the centre. 

Some of us may remember the bus stops next to the advertising holdings.....long since gone. Also the railway goods yard,  what is it used for now? The last time I saw it used was for a fair ground , a prime space for something. 

2 hours ago, Meltman said:

Some of us may remember the bus stops next to the advertising holdings.....long since gone. Also the railway goods yard,  what is it used for now? The last time I saw it used was for a fair ground , a prime space for something. 

Still derelict.

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

Perfect space for a bus portal. Or put the drop off point there and have the bus running in to the current drop off point.

What's the difference in distance between where the goods yard was and Paternoster Row bus stop, starting from the station doors?

I'll save you the time....zero.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Perfect space for a bus portal. Or put the drop off point there and have the bus running in to the current drop off point.

Don’t think so.

How would buses actually get to it? Via Cross Turner St?

I’ve seen it said on here and elsewhere plenty of times that it is rammed with taxis at busy times, so how is a bus going to get past them?

The site was looked at a few years ago for potential additional taxi waiting space to try to solve these queuing problems, but there were complications. If I recall correctly, the site was owned by DCLG ( now MHCLG) a government department. The station operator didn’t support that proposal as they would have preferred to have the site as their own car park.

The site was put forward as a suggested home for Channel 4 when they were planning the move out of London. It’s a prime development site, so someone could come along and buy it for a development at any time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

It depends how far in to the yard the bus will go and where passengers disembark. If the bus stop was as close to the taxi rank as possible, it would be significantly closer than P'n's'r Row. And, it would mean avoiding the steps.

You avoid the steps by walking down the side of the water feature, or have you not noticed?

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

Of all the shops you pull Nisbets out of your brain. Odd.

Caps lock is shouting and deemed rude, btw.

4 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I KNOW, I WORKED THERE FOR A LONG TIME. No one is going to walk to the end of the feature and up the slope if they want to go towards Nisbets. Use your common sense, if you have some.

Why? It is easier than climbing the steps, and probably as quick. BTW, one of my possible bus stops is outside the Unison offices, not that far from your rather strange location, and end of the slope takes me almost to the top of the steps, without the strain on my calf muscles.

7 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Well rudeness seems to be the order of the day on this thread.

I don't know where the Unison Offices are, Turner Street?

Nope - Furnival Square Roundabout, before you go round it to access Furnival Gate.

Edited by RollingJ

Just now, LovePotion said:

That is quite a distance from the railway station.

I know - so is the alternative stop for me opposite the Arundel Gate 'Interchange'.

1 minute ago, LovePotion said:

If you get on a 52 bus going towards Woodhouse, there are nearly always people getting on outside Weston Park, asking for the Rail Station. Most of them don't know the area and seem baffled when the bus driver tells them to get off at The "Cheese Grater". 

What the blazes has that got to do with me getting a bus to the South of the City centre - or am I missing something?

OK - so you weren't replying to me, just going off on one of your tangents.

EDIT: And I've even less idea what it has to do with this topic, which is concerned with the white elephant of the 'Sheffield Connect' bus route/service.

Edited by RollingJ