'Smart Meters'- More Problems

6 hours ago, RollingJ said:

makes sense. Although they still wouldn't get one in any of the four cottages of which I am #3.

You will eventually, when it gets to a point there's only a few left refusing install, they will make it a requirement for service, and cut you off if you don't install..

not saying this will be tomorrow, maybe another decade, but it'll happen eventually...;

6 hours ago, Ghozer said:

You will eventually, when it gets to a point there's only a few left refusing install, they will make it a requirement for service, and cut you off if you don't install..

not saying this will be tomorrow, maybe another decade, but it'll happen eventually...;

They will have to improve the technology first. We haven't refused to have them installed - although at least three of us don't really want them. The problem is that they just don't work.

11 hours ago, top4718 said:

Smart meters are currently being pushed by the main energy companies (and have been for a while) as they know millions are going to go into arrears with energy bills in the coming months, a smart meter can be converted to a pre payment meter at the touch of a button so anyone who doesn't (or more likely can't) pay will suddenly find themselves paying per use, avoid these things at all costs.

No they are pushing them because of government /ofgem policy and who will fine them if they do not install meters .

by all means discuss the pros and cons but get your fact right

12 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

No they are pushing them because of government /ofgem policy and who will fine them if they do not install meters .

by all means discuss the pros and cons but get your fact right

The Government/Ofgem want people to have them for the reasons I stated, they're not trying to help you.

11 hours ago, top4718 said:

The Government/Ofgem want people to have them for the reasons I stated, they're not trying to help you.

But that is NOT what you said  - in your post you said it was the energy companies that were behind this

13 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

But that is NOT what you said  - in your post you said it was the energy companies that were behind this

They're all in it, wake up.

We were with Igloo Energy until late last year when they got cold feet and opted out of the business. We were transferred to EonNext.

Ever since then we have been pestered, without success may I add, to install a smart meter. We live in an area with no mains gas and a very poor and intermittent 'phone signal and it has been intimated to us that a smart meter would, in all probability, not work properly here.

So we are continuing to send regular meter readings when requested; are trying to be as economical as possible and are paying our bills regularly. I don't see a problem. Why all the fuss. If it works, why change it?

echo.

12 hours ago, top4718 said:

They're all in it, wake up.

Fully awake  thanks and aware of the issues unlike you it would appear

Look if you don’t want one don’t have one, it’s not rocket science.

8 hours ago, crookesey said:

Look if you don’t want one don’t have one, it’s not rocket science.

I don't want one either, thought would post this from compare the markets site.

Is a smart meter compulsory?

The simple answer is ‘no’. Smart meters are being rolled out across the country, and energy suppliers have been given a deadline by the UK government to install them in all British homes and business by 2024. But you’re not under any legal obligation to have one. 

While energy suppliers have been given annual installation targets to achieve or face potential sanctions, you still have the right to refuse installation. Your smart-meter legal rights also mean you can change your mind and request a smart meter installation at a later date, at no extra cost.

The exception to this rule is if your meter needs replacing or you’re installing a meter for the first time – for example, in new premises. In this case, energy suppliers are required to install a smart meter unless there’s a good reason not to. 

13 hours ago, iansheff said:

I don't want one either, thought would post this from compare the markets site.

Is a smart meter compulsory?

The simple answer is ‘no’. Smart meters are being rolled out across the country, and energy suppliers have been given a deadline by the UK government to install them in all British homes and business by 2024. But you’re not under any legal obligation to have one. 

While energy suppliers have been given annual installation targets to achieve or face potential sanctions, you still have the right to refuse installation. Your smart-meter legal rights also mean you can change your mind and request a smart meter installation at a later date, at no extra cost.

The exception to this rule is if your meter needs replacing or you’re installing a meter for the first time – for example, in new premises. In this case, energy suppliers are required to install a smart meter unless there’s a good reason not to. 

Thank you for this useful post I hope there are certain people on this thread who will read it and understand that this is government policy not the energy companies (no I am not saying the energy companies are perfect but just get fed up with people spouting utter rubbish)

On 06/08/2022 at 23:17, echo beach said:

We were with Igloo Energy until late last year when they got cold feet

Well, they would! Obvious, inuit?