Soldering Advice

I need replace a component on a PCB. The component (a microswitch) has 3 legs.

I've tried heating the solder up that attaches the component to the PCB, it seems to melt, but as there are 3 legs, I think by the time I've done all 3, and try to remove the component, it's not moving.

Image here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fphraesf9r8e6tn/IMG_0428 Large.jpeg?dl=0

Any suggestions?

When its melted brush it off with an old toothbrush or similar before it sets again.

I solder components on pcbs every other day, but I use a solder sucker. solder braid is an aternative, but if you have any access to small diameter braid as in some screening cables, a make-do braid can be made from this. Sometimes, depending on the size of the component, one leg can be eased through bit by bit when touched by the iron.

As above.

With stuff like that which is fairly thick you need some desoldering wick/braid or a desolder pump.

Just an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150834533461?hash=item231e705455:g:u1cAAOSwFSxaBrIR

The wick is easier to use and cheaper for a one off job.

Just to add to the above. Youtube has several tutorials on how to do it.

Edited by Dromedary

Thanks everyone.

I've just seen a YT video; chap removed a 5 pin component by first adding a lot more solder, so that it covered all pins and between pins. Then heating this lump of solder up, and pulling the component out from the other side.

I don't have any solder wick; but do have a pump. I could try the above method, and try removing excess solder after using the pump.

Does that sound like a sensible approach?

If you no longer need the switch cut the legs and remove each leg in turn.

If you have a desoldering pump it should be easy to do each leg.

8 minutes ago, Findlay said:

If you no longer need the switch cut the legs and remove each leg in turn.

If you have a desoldering pump it should be easy to do each leg.

Thanks Findlay.

The issue with this method is the microswitch sits flush on the PCB, so I can’t see how to snip its legs off from the top side of the PCB, if that makes any sense?

Edited by Waldo

where is it on the board?

10 minutes ago, carosio said:

where is it on the board?

Bottom right.

It's a logitech mouse. The hole in the PCB is where the mouse wheel fits. Each side of the mouse wheel there is a microswitch (3 legs), for left and right mouse buttons.

Edited by Waldo

From the photo I can't see any tracks connecting the pins, the ones visible could be just anchorage points? Many of these pcbs with surface mounted components can be soldered both sides of the board.

I can see a small gap under the switch body, if you have some small drivers you might be able to lever it gently while touching the pins with the iron and hopefully open up a gap so the end pins can be cut. Failing that, gently crushing the switch body in a small vice or even pliers, only you can judge the force needed and assuming the switch is scrap!