Is It True You Need A Smart Phone To Go To The City Hall ?

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

There is no "discrimination" occuring, if people are choosing not to embrace modern technology (for whatever reason: stubborness, scared of it, medical reasons) they have to accept there could be some mild inconvenience as a result of their choice. Its always been the case.

We probably agree that government institutions and even private companies in receipt of public funds, must make all their services available to people regardless of if they have a smart phone.

However, we appeared to have agreed that private companies can deal with who they want how they want.

But hold on, that cannot be true can it ?

What do you think about private companies being forced to deal with disabled people on terms that disabled people can cope with ?

How about mentally disabled people ?

How about people who just a bit thick ?

How about obese people ?

If they must make allowances for all these groups by law, why should they not be forced to do the same for people who have not got a smart phone ?

17 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

We probably agree that government institutions and even private companies in receipt of public funds, must make all their services available to people regardless of if they have a smart phone.

However, we appeared to have agreed that private companies can deal with who they want how they want.

But hold on, that cannot be true can it ?

What do you think about private companies being forced to deal with disabled people on terms that disabled people can cope with ?

How about mentally disabled people ?

How about people who just a bit thick ?

How about obese people ?

If they must make allowances for all these groups by law, why should they not be forced to do the same for people who have not got a smart phone ?

Because "not owning a smart phone" isnt a protected characteristic in law.

Neither is "being fat" or "being thick", btw. But you know this.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/equality-act/protected-characteristics

Edited by HeHasRisen

On 13/07/2022 at 13:49, Anna B said:

It doesn't surprise me.

I resent being forced down this road, and find it difficult to cope with, so some things I just can't/won't do, and have to accept the consequences.

Never mind LGBTQ, it seems pensioners and old people are the only group of people you can freely discriminate against... 

Couldn't agree more.  Everything is now geared up to, you have to have your mobile with you at all times & have you managed to download the relevant QR code or manage to save the tickets to the folder you thought you'd saved them too? 

Edited by Baron99

16 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I am not a pensioner or even over 30 years of age. I will not give my custom to any business that requires me to have a "smart" mobile phone or pay with a card. I like to go to a ticket office, pay with cash and receive a paper ticket. I avoid places that boast about "cashless" nonesense.

I know you & I have clashed on paying by card in pubs but the other day, I actually went all the way down to Midland Station to buy a couple of train tickets because on the National Rail Enquiries website, things didn't look right & I needed to talk to a human being, just to make sure the booking was right. 

• Like 1

happy to  use online/mobile phone, my experience it's handy for getting free tickets for films, concerts and sports events.

we often get £50-£100 tickets for just a booking fee 

On 13/07/2022 at 20:18, HeHasRisen said:

Because "not owning a smart phone" isnt a protected characteristic in law.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/equality-act/protected-characteristics

A protected characteristic in law is the biggest load of PC Cobblers ever, it's discriminatory.

Why should someone get a longer sentence for attacking someone for being black or gay or a woman ,than for attacking someone because they just don't like the look of them or they happen to support the wrong football club ? 

It's BS of the first order.

You're probably wrong there, I'd be surprised of there were not laws to stop discrimination against people with mental disabilities. And once you get onto mental disabilities where does that stop and just being a bit thick start ? How do you define the difference ?

"Just a bit thick", your wording and not mine,  is not the same as being registered disabled because of a mental condition. Perhaps be clearer next time.

Also, if you were actually describing people with genuine mental illnesses as "[being] just a bit thick", it says an awful lot about you.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

A protected characteristic in law is the biggest load of PC Cobblers ever, it's discriminatory.

They were introduced in the 2010 Equality Act to counter existing discrimination.

In the Equality Act 2010, nine characteristics were identified as 'protected characteristics'. These are the characteristics where evidence shows there is still significant discrimination in employment, provision of goods and services and access to services such as education and health.

If you don't like them, why not demonstrate that the tendency to discriminate against these groups no longer exists so that they can be removed as no longer necessary, rather than just complaining?

Edited by Tyke02

On 14/07/2022 at 15:53, LovePotion said:

I am not a pensioner or even over 30 years of age. I will not give my custom to any business that requires me to have a "smart" mobile phone or pay with a card. I like to go to a ticket office, pay with cash and receive a paper ticket. I avoid places that boast about "cashless" nonesense.

You don't need a smart phone.  You can go to the box office or they can also post your tickets.  How would you pay for a 20k + car. Would you walk into the dealership with a large bag of cash?

Edited by Zinger549

47 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I wouldn't buy a  car as I have no licence but everything I buy in store, I buy with cash. 

Ok so a large purchase (TV, Sofa ect) over 1k you'd pay with cash.

Do you really think a car dealership is going to accept £30k in cash in this day and age, as an example? Not wanting a cashless society is fine but going to the extreme of not paying for a single thing on a card is a bit silly.

And calling people "drips" because they dont want to fanny around with £1.30 in change for milk is a bit insulting.

Edited by HeHasRisen

9 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Yes. I don't want a cashless society. BTW, some drips pay for something as small as a pint of milk with a card instead of handing over cash. What do you think of that?

Not every one has cash on them all the time. I went to Tesco the other day I spent under £5 but used my card. The cash machine wasn't working and I didn't fancy walking to another one and then back again.  Most people use a mix of card/cash. I don't know anyone who wants a cashless society and I don't think we will have one anytime soon.  No doubt you've been reading stuff on Twitter/Facebook about how 'they' want you to use card so they can control your spending.