Doncaster Sheffield Airport Could Permanently Close

Assume he was finally sectioned.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Assume he was finally sectioned.

No, actually I understand he was quite ill -physically - and I don't know if he has now departed this earth.

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You are starting to worry me, Padders - I honestly thought you were a sensible bloke.

Crikey, blow me down (Ref. route 69)

It's the first time I've ever heard me described as sensible, even if it was only a thought :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Crikey, blow me down (Ref. route 69)

It's the first time I've ever heard me described as sensible, even if it was only a thought :thumbsup:

" blow me down"  😂😂😂

• Like 1

Air transport is a constantly changing industry. 
Starting with the planes themselves the majority were getting bigger like the jumbo jets and then the huge Airbus double decker both with 4 engines. These relied on large numbers of people travelling to major hubs such as Heathrow, New York, Singapore and Sydney to name a few.  People would then change  flights to their regional hubs such as Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, Paris, And some other European cities. 
With the advent of the Dreamliner, and Airbus A350 for example these can operate on 2 engines for longer distances eg Heathrow to Perth and shortly Singapore to New York. Due to lower operating costs they can be profitable with fewer passengers so can fly direct to Manchester, Birmingham etc. from cities such as Dubai or Delhi or New York or Singapore. 
So now we can avoid the Heathrow’s of this world which should help  start to grow more provincial airports. 

Last time I flew from Manchester  to Singapore it was a nightmare to get there by train from Doncaster and was worse coming back by car via Woodhead. I would rather go via Heathrow because everything is tilted towards London (trains, motorways etc). 
all of this Northern Rail talk will be great if you want to go from Leeds/York to Manchester but useless for South York’s, Humberside, Notts Lincs and Derbys. 
Wizz Air pulling out of Doncaster just happened to coincide with them being allocated 15 new slots at Gatwick so all of their promises to grow at Doncaster were not fulfilled. Also they are still flying their East European flights every evening it was the Alicante type flights that were withdrawn.

Tui are the main provider but how many of you knew that they already fly Dreamliners to Jamaica, Barbados, Cancun and Orlando from Doncaster.  I have used this service and it’s brilliant but you really have to hunt for these destinations on their websites and some of their own shop staff aren’t too knowledgeable about them. 
Similarily there is an ongoing plan to build airships in the uk (seriously, look it up) and there is an order for 10 on the table. The existing base at Cardington is no longer suitable and Peel holdings will no doubt be aware that they are sat on a large area which could have a greater profit potential if the airport was closed and replaced by an airship factory, possibly employing  several hundred skilled people. Wouldn’t they then look good in the publics eye. 
Just bear in mind that at the moment DSA is a business which needs to make a profit somehow for Peel Holdings. Perhaps this government might like to purchase it from them to create the rail link and support our national air transport strategy before selling it on to someone else other than a private company based in the Isle of Man 
(Read up on the uk tax implications of such a company)

1 minute ago, Gordonb said:

Air transport is a constantly changing industry. 
Starting with the planes themselves the majority were getting bigger like the jumbo jets and then the huge Airbus double decker both with 4 engines. These relied on large numbers of people travelling to major hubs such as Heathrow, New York, Singapore and Sydney to name a few.  People would then change  flights to their regional hubs such as Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, Paris, And some other European cities. 
With the advent of the Dreamliner, and Airbus A350 for example these can operate on 2 engines for longer distances eg Heathrow to Perth and shortly Singapore to New York. Due to lower operating costs they can be profitable with fewer passengers so can fly direct to Manchester, Birmingham etc. from cities such as Dubai or Delhi or New York or Singapore. 
So now we can avoid the Heathrow’s of this world which should help  start to grow more provincial airports. 

Last time I flew from Manchester  to Singapore it was a nightmare to get there by train from Doncaster and was worse coming back by car via Woodhead. I would rather go via Heathrow because everything is tilted towards London (trains, motorways etc). 
all of this Northern Rail talk will be great if you want to go from Leeds/York to Manchester but useless for South York’s, Humberside, Notts Lincs and Derbys. 
Wizz Air pulling out of Doncaster just happened to coincide with them being allocated 15 new slots at Gatwick so all of their promises to grow at Doncaster were not fulfilled. Also they are still flying their East European flights every evening it was the Alicante type flights that were withdrawn.

Tui are the main provider but how many of you knew that they already fly Dreamliners to Jamaica, Barbados, Cancun and Orlando from Doncaster.  I have used this service and it’s brilliant but you really have to hunt for these destinations on their websites and some of their own shop staff aren’t too knowledgeable about them. 
Similarily there is an ongoing plan to build airships in the uk (seriously, look it up) and there is an order for 10 on the table. The existing base at Cardington is no longer suitable and Peel holdings will no doubt be aware that they are sat on a large area which could have a greater profit potential if the airport was closed and replaced by an airship factory, possibly employing  several hundred skilled people. Wouldn’t they then look good in the publics eye. 
Just bear in mind that at the moment DSA is a business which needs to make a profit somehow for Peel Holdings. Perhaps this government might like to purchase it from them to create the rail link and support our national air transport strategy before selling it on to someone else other than a private company based in the Isle of Man 
(Read up on the uk tax implications of such a company)

But what about the 69 ?

2 minutes ago, Gordonb said:

Yes....the planes that arent based there that fly in, spend no more than an hour on the DSA tarmac and then go back to their Eastern European bases. Think these make up over half the flights. If these suddenly ended too....

Edited by HeHasRisen

30 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I heard it is going to be diverted via Penistone and Wombwell.

Doesn't it go along At her and Cliff's bottom.

Sorry Hackey Lad I misunderstood, I thought this thread was about closure of DSA airport. My mistake I’ll try and repost it to the correct thread. 

Edited by Gordonb
Missed mane of replying thread

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

But what about the 69 ?

Thats the Dreamliner.

6 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

And pauses briefly at The Devil's Arse!

Thats in Castleton, silly.

Apologies LP. Probably does go via Castleton, it's in the peak district.

Edited by Padders
apology.

6 minutes ago, Gordonb said:

Sorry Hackey Lad I misunderstood, I thought this thread was about closure of DSA airport. My mistake I’ll try and repost it to the correct thread. 

Its fine here mate , some of us are having a bit of fun , thats all :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

Thats in Castleton, silly.

Can't be in Castleton  , I was sat near her in pub other night 😀