Doncaster Sheffield Airport Could Permanently Close

15 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes I have done this once. Its still a 2 hour drive and it didnt seem like a great idea when I landed at 1.30am local time to then have to get back to Sheffield. 

Birmingham is also a decent option. Often use the car park at Hams Hall, which I think is run by APH and is this side of Birmingham just off the M42, and they bus you in from there.

Yes there is the drive home to consider from Newcastle.  But driving home at midnight there's not much traffic on the A1.  Can't say the same tho if you are using these motorways at lunchtime.

I always thought an Airport at the M1 end of the Parkway would do well, Manchester Airport size,   decent distance  for Sheffield,Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Derby, I think it would be busy.

23 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Chicken and egg really. 

All other things being equal we'd rather have flown from DSA, but were rarely given the option, certainly by Jet2.

That's kinda what I mean, there wasn't really that many flights you could get from there, not enough operators flying out from there etc....
and why was that?

Guest busdriver1
17 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I always thought an Airport at the M1 end of the Parkway would do well, Manchester Airport size,   decent distance  for Sheffield,Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Derby, I think it would be busy.

Would take a lot of digging to get some land flat enough there. Why do we need an airport at every town or city?

We have East Midlands, Leeds Bradford and Manchester all within easy reach.

31 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Your tongue firmly in cheek here I guess - the one that used to be there had a ridiculously short runway for any significantly sized plane to land there.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Your tongue firmly in cheek here I guess - the one that used to be there had a ridiculously short runway for any significantly sized plane to land there.

Stupid coment as per.

5 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Stupid coment as per.

Whats stupid about it? The runway was tiny. I thought your post about a potential airport at the M1 end of the Parkway was sarcasm tbh, because there used to be one there.

Part of the reason it failed was because of the short runway. The other part it failed was because of who owned it....the same mob that now own Doncaster.

Edited by HeHasRisen

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The other part it failed was because of who owned it....the same mob that now own Doncaster.

I think they bought the site after it went bust

1 minute ago, geared said:

I think they bought the site after it went bust

ah i stand corrected on that part then. The bit about the runway stands, there is certainly no site anywhere near there suitable enough to get an Easyjet or a Ryanair plane off the ground, as an example.

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 hours ago, Foot and Mouth said:

Supposedly it's never made a profit in 17 years of it being open. How do airports make profits? I'm assuming it's firstly from landing fees, then rents from shops/bars/cafes on the site. We, as passengers, don't actually pay to use it. We pay for a flight and a proportion of that is landing fees. They need a forthright, bombastic chief executive to go to airlines using Leeds/ Brad, Man, East Mids, Birm and undercut they're landing fees to bring in the flights to Donny. More flights, more passengers, more revenue. Or is there being some backhanders paid to keep those flights at the big four or five regional airports mentioned?

Peel Holdings lend their money in to the airport company and then extract excessive repayments and management fees.

Easy to show a loss if it gets you a massive asset for £1.

5 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

East Midlands Airport has regular rail services that run to the near by Parkway station. There are direct services to there from Sheffield every hour. In my opinion, Leeds Bradford is more difficult to get to by public transport, as there is no rail station, so it would mean a bus or taxi from Leeds. Manchester Airport does not have a regular direct service to Sheffield any longer. Birmingham Airport is another large airport but sadly not connected. A handful of trains run to Luton Airport Parkway from Sheffield everyday. There are also train services every hour to Liverpool South Parkway for Liverpool John Lennon Airport from Sheffield. 

Personally, if I wanted to fly somewhere, I would be willing to get the train and travel some distance for a decent airport. Heathrow would be my first choice. 

The Parkway station is FIVE miles away from EMA and there is now no bus.  Leeds Bradford Airport is actually nearer a railway station than EMA is.

The Manchester Airport-Sheffield trip requires a simple cross-platform change at Piccadilly if done right, not really a hardship. Birmingham involves changing at New Street.

Getting to Heathrow on the train from Sheffield isnt direct and requires a cross-London transfer, not always easy with luggage.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Correct, which is nearer to LBA than East Midlands Parkway is to EMA. Both trips would require a taxi to complete.

Lets be honest though, trains are only a goer if the flight times allow. If you have a 6am departure or an 11pm arrival you can forget it.

Edited by HeHasRisen