Sign in to follow this  

What milk do you drink? Does anyone know which kind is better for you?

I have semi skimmed, skimmed is vile :gag: and full fat horrible in drinks but lovely on cereal...but only as a rare treat.

Organic ewe's milk, either skimmed for general use or full fat for treats- more than twice the calcium of cow's milk, and doesn't cause my eczema to flare up either.

I have semi-skimmed at home, and full-fat at my nans. Nothing nicer than full-fat milk on Weetabix.

Ohhhhh, when I was a kid I used to make sure I was always first to the bottle of milk so that I got the cream top on my Weetabix! Yummy :D

These days though I have made the move to skimmed milk. I think the taste has improved dramatically in recent years. It did used to taste like water, but now it does actually seem to taste like milk. To me at least. I now find full fat, and even semi too creamy these days.

But none of them are better or worse for you unless you are watching your fat intake. And then the less fat that you can manage, the better. It still has all the calcium in it.

Guest teebee

Cant stand milk in any form, dont have any in drinks and on my cereal i use muller light vanilla yogurt.

Ken H is right, avoid homogenised milk where possible. Can't recall why but I know it's not a good thing. I'll have a dig around in my files to see if i can find out why.

There's nowt wrong with drinking breast milk. When I had too much of it for my daughter, I would put it in my tea rather than waste such a precious liquid. I believe they give it to terminally ill cancer patients in China as it is 'perfection' from a nutrition point of view. I'd rather drink milk from a human than that of a four-legged, four-stomached, non-speaking low-intelligence animal that lives in a field covered in ****.

Ken H is right, avoid homogenised milk where possible. Can't recall why but I know it's not a good thing. I'll have a dig around in my files to see if i can find out why.

You won't find anything! The evidence that it is dangerous is weak and flawed at best. My point is that it is unnecessary processing and so should be avoided "just in case" it turns out that the weak and flawed evidence was right after all.

That sounds about right Ken, just what i'd expect from big business, but I'm sure I've stored soemthing on my hard drive somwhere...

i drink mostly semi but i will sometimes buy full fat because i find it tastes soo yummy.

i was doing a little reseach because i was told that semi & pasturised has a higher calcium content than full fat which is what it say on this site

http://www.expressdairies.co.uk/deliverymilk.html

i drink mostly semi but i will sometimes buy full fat because i find it tastes soo yummy.

i was doing a little reseach because i was told that semi & pasturised has a higher calcium content than full fat which is what it say on this site

http://www.expressdairies.co.uk/deliverymilk.html

On that link it mentions that paseurised milk has the advantage of having vitamin D which un-pasteurised milk doesn't. I wonder if anyone can explain this, or is it just that they add vitamin D, which is news to me.

There's nowt wrong with drinking breast milk. When I had too much of it for my daughter, I would put it in my tea rather than waste such a precious liquid. I believe they give it to terminally ill cancer patients in China as it is 'perfection' from a nutrition point of view. I'd rather drink milk from a human than that of a four-legged, four-stomached, non-speaking low-intelligence animal that lives in a field covered in ****.

Oh I wish I hadn't read that. :o I have a phobia of breast milk after finding that rancid bottle of it in my house. So I'm alternating between feeling very, very sick and ill, and laughing at the thought of a mother, well... erm, 'decanting' milk into cups of tea.

:gag: and :o

I drink average milk as I call it. Regular cows' milk, semi-skimmed, nothing fancy, but it has to be as fresh as possible so I only buy small containers of it. And I don't have enough of it, as I have ridges down me finger nails. :(

On that link it mentions that paseurised milk has the advantage of having vitamin D which un-pasteurised milk doesn't. I wonder if anyone can explain this, or is it just that they add vitamin D, which is news to me.

so i found this site

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.html?in_article_id=329013&in_page_id=1798

which says that the reason semi has a lower vit A content is because you remove the creamy part which contains the vit A. altho it dosent say the same for vit D i'm guessing its the same reason seen as they are both fat soluble. where as the calcium is in the watery part which you are leaving behind.