Sign in to follow this  

What milk do you drink? Does anyone know which kind is better for you?

After years of being brought up on semi-skimmed milk I have recently changed to full fat milk.

My brother seems to think its much better for you, as you loose a lot of the nutrients when 'skimming' milk. Plus nowadays cutting out all fat is a thing of the past to obtain a healthy diet. . I was just wondering what other forum members drink and whether my brothers opinion holds any truth.

Personally I find full milk a bit too creamy at the moment... I am sure I'll get used to it. Whereas skimmed milk tastes no better than water!

I love full fat milk, but it's not as good for you, semi-skimmed is healthier.

The only people who benefit from full fat milk are children and babies, but once you get older, it's just more fattening than semi-skimmed.

The thing to avoid is homogonised milk. I have no idea whether it is dangerous or not, but why have processed milk when you don't have to? If, at some time in the future, we find that it is dangerous, then virtually all the people who buy supermarket milk will have put themselves in danger for no good reason.

Breast is best. There is now a breast milk bar in Canada I believe.

I can only drink skimmed, I can't stand anything else espesh full fat, it is too think and like cream and I hate cream!!

I've drunk semi skimmed for years.......can't drink full fat stuff no more :gag:, my other half still has full fat and I accidently put it on my cereals the other morning and had to throw the lot away and start again......it's horrid!

Breast is best. There is now a breast milk bar in Canada I believe.

I know I fed my babies on it but I wouldn't fancy it myself :gag:

The thing to avoid is homogonised milk. I have no idea whether it is dangerous or not, but why have processed milk when you don't have to? If, at some time in the future, we find that it is dangerous, then virtually all the people who buy supermarket milk will have put themselves in danger for no good reason.

Homogonised simply means that the cream (& fat) is distributed evenly rather than rising to the surface. Dont know how they do it but im sure nothing is added or taken away, and its not dangerous in any way

I very rarely drink milk... But if I'm going to have any, its going to be semi-skimmed... :) Fully skimmed is vile and looks watered down... Full fat is only nice in Latte, but too much to drink alone... :)

After years of being brought up on semi-skimmed milk I have recently changed to full fat milk.

My brother seems to think its much better for you, as you loose a lot of the nutrients when 'skimming' milk. Plus nowadays cutting out all fat is a thing of the past to obtain a healthy diet. . I was just wondering what other forum members drink and whether my brothers opinion holds any truth.

Personally I find full milk a bit too creamy at the moment... I am sure I'll get used to it. Whereas skimmed milk tastes no better than water!

Tis the fat that is skimmed that is all, the nutrients are still in there!

Homogonised simply means that the cream (& fat) is distributed evenly rather than rising to the surface. Dont know how they do it but im sure nothing is added or taken away, and its not dangerous in any way

They do it by breaking down the fat globules so that they are very small and therefore distributed throughout the milk. This means that they can pass through the gut wall intact and some people believe this can cause problems. When we talk about "milk" we should be careful not to confuse the stuff that comes from the cows with the highly processed stuff you can buy in a supermarket. It is currently possible to buy "milk", "pasteurised milk", "standardised-homogonised- pasteurised -milk", or even "standardised homogonised pasteurised filtered milk with added vitamins". Milk can be a fairly natural food or it can be amongst the most processed food we consume.

Always semi-skimmed and I LOVE Cravendale Purefilter. Lasts for ages.