Sheffield Still 4th Highest Population In England

Scotland having its own Census has nothing to do with Nicola Sturgeon. Scotland has had its own Census since 1801

As long as everyone understands the limitations of using the local authority population numbers I'm happy. Often people don't. So we get websites confusing people by saying come to Sheff we're the 4th biggest city in the country! 

It doesn't matter if you take Scotland (and Wales) out we'd still be on the same rung. Which cities are on rungs 3 or 4 is debatable depending on how you want to define them. Rungs 1 and 2 are very clear.

Edited by Bilge

On 08/07/2022 at 20:14, ewanarm said:

Scotland having its own Census has nothing to do with Nicola Sturgeon. Scotland has had its own Census since 1801

Did it not used to be on the same day as the rest of the UK's?

On 07/07/2022 at 12:32, Bilge said:

We've had this discussion on SF in various threads for many years. These numbers are just the local authority areas with that name. So 'London' is not defined in the same way and the historic boundaries of cities in many cases haven't kept pace with the development of those regions, so the population figures are not very useful. So it becomes less useful as a measure of the city's relative size and importance.

If you want to know the important cities of the UK see which locations the biggest American bands choose if they can only choose 4 (or any other global businesses). Often the cities are the centre of their region. 

Sheff is probably on the 4th rung with a load of other cities. It's certainly not 4th most important city in the UK (or even in England) in its own right. 

1. London

2. Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham

3. e.g. Edinburgh, Cardiff, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottm

4. e.g. Sheff, Leicester, Belfast, Norwich

It doesn't help Sheffield when it gets described as 4th biggest city in England. It creates expectations from visitors which we can never fulfill. We're a great city on the 3rd or 4th rung. We're not 4th overall.

Sheffield would definitely be in the 3rd tier bracket. I am not sure why you would conclude that Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle and Nottingham are in a tier above.

If we are fourth biggest, we should have high expectations. I fail to see why places like Nottingham and Newcastle are able to outstrip us. 

We have events and things going on here, but our publicity department is woeful. We wait for things to come to us,  instead of going out there and pitching for them.

The idea is to attract visitors to generate income. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Maybe it's that old 'Biggest Village' thing, true or not?

And that's the way we'll remain unless the council pull their finger out...

I've always thought we should be branded as THE GATEWAY TO THE PEAK DISTRICT.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

If we are fourth biggest, we should have high expectations. I fail to see why places like Nottingham and Newcastle are able to outstrip us. 

We have events and things going on here, but our publicity department is woeful. We wait for things to come to us,  instead of going out there and pitching for them.

The idea is to attract visitors to generate income. 

Thats your Labour council for you 

Guest busdriver1
9 hours ago, alexander874 said:

I've always thought we should be branded as THE GATEWAY TO THE PEAK DISTRICT.

So the best you can say is that it is close to somewhere else? 

Does it not have any thing else going for it? 

On 12/07/2022 at 13:06, Wookiee said:

Sheffield would definitely be in the 3rd tier bracket. I am not sure why you would conclude that Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle and Nottingham are in a tier above.

As I said, it depends how you define what goes in the 3rd and 4th tiers. Newcastle, Leeds, Bristol and Nottingham are the 'capitals' of their regions you might argue. Edinburgh and Cardiff are actual capitals of nations within the UK. Liverpool is not the capital of the NW region but, I would argue is  special in our country because of its geography, history and cultural influence. Sheffield is secondary to Leeds in our region (like it or not it's true) and we are surrounded by other cities that are at least as important or more important. All of this is subjective to some extent as it depends what you define as important (e.g. GVA).

Edited by Bilge