The Younger Generation

I am not getting along with my daughter at the moment, she and her boyfriend are living at my house. I was talking to a friend and my sister, they both felt that the young ones they know, show no respect.

I was surprised, I thought it was just me, because I am divorced 

I am finding the kids who i meet these days to be bang on , They need talking to on a equal basis , If they are rough and ready then thats the way to react , If they are a little on the shy or reserved way then don't push em to hard they soon realise  you are on their side , Its hard for kids these days with the haves and have nots society we live in , They all want the best phones , trainers  etc  ,for some that is a pipe dream .

1 hour ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

I am finding the kids who i meet these days to be bang on , They need talking to on a equal basis.

Perhaps my experience is from a parents point of view. Other young people seem fine.

• Like 1

I think you need to narrow it down a bit as not getting along is a very broad statement and does not give any idea to what that means or the cause.

Sorry to hear you aren't getting on El Cid. I must be lucky. My kids are both respectful and we get on really well. Both still live with me and probably will do for well into their adult lives and I'm cool with this. We have our problems like any family but at the end of the day they respect me and others and I respect the he'll out of them too.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

I am not getting along with my daughter at the moment, she and her boyfriend are living at my house. I was talking to a friend and my sister, they both felt that the young ones they know, show no respect.

A lot of kids take their parents for granted.

It's tough in a situation like that, but if it's your house they live in, you have to set some minimal common sense rules.

The hard part is insisting that they follow those rules, or else!

But I would do it. In the end if you are reasonable, they'll (eventually) see that you were right.

What's worse is to keep your frustration inside, and live with it.

Good luck!

48 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Perhaps my experience is from a parents point of view. Other young people seem fine.

Teen agers can be a night mare , mine were and I was LOL .

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

Throw them both out. The boyfriend is obviously a useless loser otherwise they both wouldn't be dossing down in your abode.

Perhaps they're trying to save for a deposit on a house/flat.

16 hours ago, West 77 said:

Throw them both out. The boyfriend is obviously a useless loser otherwise they both wouldn't be dossing down in your abode.

Extreme Christianity.

Exactly what Jesus would have done.

Can we also have a thread about the "older generation" and how grumpy and self entitled many of them are, or are sweeping generalisations only allowed for the young 'uns?

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Can we also have a thread about the "older generation" and how grumpy and self entitled many of them are, or are sweeping generalisations only allowed for the young 'uns?

That's a good point. 

I think a lot of the complaints about young people nowadays tend to be unfair. The young people I meet are a real credit, and are certainly no worse than the young people I grew up with in the 1980s. 

On 03/07/2022 at 09:03, El Cid said:

I don't think that because you're divorced you're any less worthy of respect from your daughter or her boyfriend.

You've shown kindness and respect to them by allowing them to stay at your house. The work colleagues and people I've known over the years who were in the same situation as you have laid down the 'house rules' to their children and told them if they don't like it, they can find somewhere else to live. That's not unreasonable. 

It's difficult because if you're an easy going person, sometimes people can take advantage of your good nature, and when you get fed up of being taken advantage of, and try and put some boundaries in place you end up feeling like you're the one who's being unreasonable. But if you're feeling rubbish about how your daughter is treating you, maybe be honest with her and tell her exactly how it's leaving you feeling; and what you expect from her and her boyfriend from now on. 

Edited by Mister M