Road Closures 'Due To Fuel Protests' On The 4th July.

3 minutes ago, carosio said:

But how would they know how many miles travelled?

Black boxes?

3 minutes ago, carosio said:

In the age of Big Brother I'm sure 'they' will have a way.

20 minutes ago, carosio said:

They know everything. Why do you think they've been collecting data for years. 

Anything and everything can be tracked by satelite, including your phone.

Guest sibon
47 minutes ago, carosio said:

Have you never encountered an ANPR camera?

44 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

In the age of Big Brother I'm sure 'they' will have a way.

Stuff like Google Maps uses that data for good.

I’m sure there are other purposes though.

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Micro chip implanted when you had the Covid jab 

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Forgive my ignorance but is road pricing where you pay per mile with different prices for off peak and on peak journeys?

Back in the day, 200 years ago, we had toll bars where carriages paid a toll, going back to those days?

17 hours ago, sibon said:

They’ve already cut fuel duty once this year.  I suspect that the benefit has been greater for the oil companies than for the rest of us.

I’d  begin the move to road pricing , with a reduction in fuel duty to compensate.

I always find it funny when the topic of pay per mile comes up, it seems like such an unnecessary and overly complicated way to collect tax money.

Back in the day there was only a couple of tax brackets, you paid the yearly tax and that was it, regardless of what car you were driving.

Just revert to that system for EV's? 

Classify it by weight and job done, no messing around with big brother systems, no tracking people, and all the data needed to implement the system is already held by the DVLA so retrospective implementation is easy.

The last thing anyone wants to see the Government/DVLA attempt is a complex, country-wide, live-data IT system.

11 hours ago, sibon said:

Have you never encountered an ANPR camera?

Stuff like Google Maps uses that data for good.

I’m sure there are other purposes though.

I bet you can travel miles around the minor/estate/country roads around Sheffield without encountering ANPR cameras. Also, they only capture the time and possibly direction.

49 minutes ago, carosio said:

I bet you can travel miles around the minor/estate/country roads around Sheffield without encountering ANPR cameras. Also, they only capture the time and possibly direction.

I can think of some places where they wouldn’t last ten minutes, how much are they worth by the way? 🤣

Does anyone know if people have to drive to these fuel protests or do they have to walk?

On 01/07/2022 at 13:58, Chekhov said:

What do these protesters expect to happen ?

Putin to suddenly think "Oh British motorists are being delayed by fuel protesters (mainly, but not exclusively) because of my invasion of the Ukraine, so I'll withdraw straightaway" ?

They could be complaining about the tax on fuel, but the Government is in MASSIVE debt, mainly (but not exclusively) because it spent Billions and Billions trying to suppress Covid by suppressing society and the economy. If it reduces the tax on fuel it'll just have to put it up elsewhere, and, let's remind ourselves, the roads are all still packed anyway, even with record breaking fuel prices.....

Wrong target methinks.

They are doing it as a practice for their real protest, which is against adults being prevented from taking photos of children in swimming costumes 

15 hours ago, MJ01 said:

They are doing it as a practice for their real protest, which is against adults being prevented from taking photos of children in swimming costumes 

I have answered this post on the relevant thread, here.

Edited by Chekhov