Road Closures 'Due To Fuel Protests' On The 4th July.

What do these protesters expect to happen ?

Putin to suddenly think "Oh British motorists are being delayed by fuel protesters (mainly, but not exclusively) because of my invasion of the Ukraine, so I'll withdraw straightaway" ?

They could be complaining about the tax on fuel, but the Government is in MASSIVE debt, mainly (but not exclusively) because it spent Billions and Billions trying to suppress Covid by suppressing society and the economy. If it reduces the tax on fuel it'll just have to put it up elsewhere, and, let's remind ourselves, the roads are all still packed anyway, even with record breaking fuel prices.....

Wrong target methinks.

Edited by Chekhov

I'm not sure what they expect either but I do understand their frustration.  Fuel duty needs to be slashed in my opinion but I very much doubt it will be. I don't go along with the 'Putins price hike' narrative though.

Guest sibon
Just now, The_DADDY said:

I'm not sure what they expect either but I do understand their frustration.  Fuel duty needs to be slashed in my opinion but I very much doubt it will be. I don't go along with the 'Putins price hike' narrative though.

They’ve already cut fuel duty once this year.  I suspect that the benefit has been greater for the oil companies than for the rest of us.

I’d  begin the move to road pricing , with a reduction in fuel duty to compensate.

8 minutes ago, sibon said:

They’ve already cut fuel duty once this year.  I suspect that the benefit has been greater for the oil companies than for the rest of us.

I’d  begin the move to road pricing , with a reduction in fuel duty to compensate.

Forgive my ignorance but is road pricing where you pay per mile with different prices for off peak and on peak journeys?

Edited by The_DADDY

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Forgive my ignorance but is road pricing where you pay per mile with different prices for off peak and on peak journeys?

That’s the one. It is an inevitable consequence of the move to electric cars.

Reasonably fair too.  The more you drive, the more you pay.

34 minutes ago, sibon said:

That’s the one. It is an inevitable consequence of the move to electric cars.

Reasonably fair too.  The more you drive, the more you pay.

I'd probably benefit from that as I don't do many miles per week. My worry that if it's implemented the fuel duty reduction would be a token one.

Guest sibon
24 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I'd probably benefit from that as I don't do many miles per week. My worry that if it's implemented the fuel duty reduction would be a token one.

Or it might turn out like the last one, in the pockets of Shell and Texaco.

11 minutes ago, sibon said:

Or it might turn out like the last one, in the pockets of Shell and Texaco.

Very Possibly.👍

I obviously don't like the current fuel prices. Its now costing me over £150 every time I fill the van up but what choice do I have ?

Loose a days wages to protest ?

Get on the bus (BTW. bus drivers are really funny about me loading 4 sets of ladders and tools into the lower deck). ?

I don't have a choice.

3 minutes ago, dan2802 said:

I obviously don't like the current fuel prices. Its now costing me over £150 every time I fill the van up but what choice do I have ?

Get on the bus (BTW. bus drivers are really funny about me loading 4 sets of ladders and tools into the lower deck). ?

I don't have a choice.

Bus drivers a so unreasonable some times.

Guest sibon
32 minutes ago, dan2802 said:

I don't have a choice.

Just tell them that you pay their wages and that there’s no law against taking ladders on a bus.

*sits and waits for someone to Google First Bus terms and conditions*

7 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

8 hours ago, sibon said:

But how would they know how many miles travelled?