Employee Of The Year Andy M

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Do they need the pronoun though - you wouldn't call ''Gemma' 'Ms. Gemma', would you? Well, I wouldn't.

Probably - they would seem to me to be trying to influence my behaviour for no good reason. I don't follow the logic of their actions.

Personally I don't care, as our very own westy would say, there's more important things to worry about in the world

11 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Another balanced argument put forward.

No argument, just being honest

It's not been the same since Howard stopped appearing in their tv adverts.

17 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

It's not been the same since Howard stopped appearing in their tv adverts.

He’s on TV’s First Dates this week if it’s been on it should be on their website .

Edited by *Wallace*

All Halifax are doing is allowing staff the option of having their pronouns on their badges, just so that customers know which pronoun to use when referring to one of its employees. 

Some of its employees may be transitioning from one gender to another, or may look masculine if they're female, and feminine if they're male. 

Some employees might not mind if people get their gender wrong, but some may feel sensitive about it.

Back in the 1980s when I lived somewhere other than Sheffield I knew of a lady who had quite a prominent dark hair on her face, that gave her quite a masculine appearance. She was such a nice person, and I can imagine the nasty comments and looks she would get from some other people.

Other than for political posturing and excluding people I don't know why the Mail would choose to target the Halifax for this. I bank with the Halifax, and  feel quite proud of the fact that they've taken the time to think about the needs of its workforce, rather than fear that they might be called 'woke' or whatever the Mail and some of its readers think. 

Edited by Mister M

Also it seems that Halifax are just doing what HSBC and Nat West banks are doing in this regard

HSBC and NatWest join businesses allowing staff to display preferred gender pronouns | Business | The Times

Hopefully more banks and building societies will join in, so customers who are of the Daily Mail mindset won't have anywhere else to put their money :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mister M said:

All Halifax are doing is allowing staff the option of having their pronouns on their badges, just so that customers know which pronoun to use when referring to one of its employees. 

Some of its employees may be transitioning from one gender to another, or may look masculine if they're female, and feminine if they're male. 

Some employees might not mind if people get their gender wrong, but some may feel sensitive about it.

Back in the 1980s when I lived somewhere other than Sheffield I knew of a lady who had quite a prominent dark hair on her face, that gave her quite a masculine appearance. She was such a nice person, and I can imagine the nasty comments and looks she would get from some other people.

Other than for political posturing and excluding people I don't know why the Mail would choose to target the Halifax for this. I bank with the Halifax, and  feel quite proud of the fact that they've taken the time to think about the needs of its workforce, rather than fear that they might be called 'woke' or whatever the Mail and some of its readers think. 

Because they don't think that deeply, it's all knee-jerk reactions

16 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Also it seems that Halifax are just doing what HSBC and Nat West banks are doing in this regard

HSBC and NatWest join businesses allowing staff to display preferred gender pronouns | Business | The Times

Hopefully more banks and building societies will join in, so customers who are of the Daily Mail mindset won't have anywhere else to put their money :)

Roll on the  day when all bank branch's are closed for online banking.

Just now, HumbleNarrator said:

Roll on the  day when all bank branch's are closed for online banking.

You'd rather see bank branches close than be polite to people who wish to be referred to as 'she' when you think they're a 'he'?

Well we best hope that this policy of companies wanting their staff to be treated with respect doesn't spread to supermarkets, entertainment venues, public transport, etc etc - you'll be in a pickle then wouldn't you.

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

You'd rather see bank branches close than be polite to people who wish to be referred to as 'she' when you think they're a 'he'?

Well we best hope that this policy of companies wanting their staff to be treated with respect doesn't spread to supermarkets, entertainment venues, public transport, etc etc - you'll be in a pickle then wouldn't you.

You generally don't speak to staff in supermarkets and entertainment venues though do you? so no, I wouldn't be in a pickle.

For what it's  worth actually I have no problem addressing people how they want to be addressed.

1 minute ago, HumbleNarrator said:

You generally don't speak to staff in supermarkets and entertainment venues though do you? so no, I wouldn't be in a pickle.

For what it's  worth actually I have no problem addressing people how they want to be addressed.

Great :thumbsup:

Edited by Mister M

I have no problem addressing people by their preferred pronoun either,  but my life is getting mighty complicated these days. It would be nice just to get phone calls answered, or calls returned when they say they will -  politeness works both ways.... 

Hmmm... :huh:

I've just been giving a bit of thought to this!

Now I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories...
... but I don't suppose this 'Andy M' could be that wee Scottish tennis laddie, Andy Murray? :suspect:

His mind was clearly on other things yesterday as he lost in the second round at Wimbledon.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61976048

Some of you may be asking, why do I think a Scottish tennis player approaching the end of his career would be instigating a situation where hundreds (if not thousands) of people are allegedly removing their money from a Yorkshire bank? (yeah, I know it's owned by Lloyds mega bank, but stick with it!).

Well, all those people are going to want to put their money in another bank, right? :nod:

And the Royal Bank of Scotland (part of NatWest mega bank) could well be one of those other banks to benefit...
... which would see more money taken out of Yorkshire and being invested across the border in Edinburgh, where the bank's HQ is. :(

Now, it's also recently come to light (to me anyway, although the report is a year old) that Mr Murray is strongly in favour of Scottish independence...
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1466227/andy-murray-news-scottish-independence-tennis-olympic-games-tokyo-2020-spt

... so maybe he's looking to promote a political career once his tennis playing days are over?

It would be a major coup for any future politician if someone was able to get people to voluntarily invest their money in the Scottish economy prior to any possible future referendum...
... don't you think?

BTW: Just to clear up any possible confusion, I don't believe a word of it! :hihi: