Have The Regulation Son The Need For Traffic Lights As Roadworks Changed ?

Does anyone know if the regulations over if traffic lights for road works are required have changed recently ?

A few times in the last month I have been past roadworks that are taking up no more room than legally parked cars would yet they have traffic lights holding up all the traffic.

• Like 1

wondered this myself.  I've noticed a heck of a lot more traffic lights whenever there are road works going on.  And there seems to be road works everywhere you go. One spot i can think off seems to get dug up every 6 months for a month at a time.

Quite often there really doesn't seem to be the need but i suspect the regulations are there to keep traffic well away from the road works/workers rather than there is actually need to reduce traffic to single lane.

The A57 between the M1 and Worksop had this last week, for what looked like no reason whatsoever. Added 20 mins onto my journey.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is a recent change in regulation, but I do know that for quite a while now, where work on 'fast' - over 50mph max - roads and motorways, the safety areas have been widened. Chances are that these recent ones are due to a phased introduction of equivalent safety margins - I may be wrong, so don't shoot me.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Does anyone know if the regulations over if traffic lights for road works are required have changed recently ?

A few times in the last month I have been past roadworks that are taking up no more room than legally parked cars would yet they have traffic lights holding up all the traffic.

My , my . You are Mr Angry aren’t you 

• Haha 1

They do seem to be more prevalent and frequently unnecessary when the obvious course is to give way to traffic on the free carriageway or to allow an obstructed car through.

Its just the same as negotiating parked vehicles

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

They do seem to be more prevalent and frequently unnecessary when the obvious course is to give way to traffic on the free carriageway or to allow an obstructed car through.

Its just the same as negotiating parked vehicles

Exactly.

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

So angry in fact he posted the topic twice lol

My memory is not what it was, but where ?

This is about traffic lights where they should be none at all, not about road works that go on far too long.

Edited by Chekhov

9 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

@Planner1probably knows. 

There haven’t been any changes that I’m aware of.

Whoever is working in the street usually has a discussion with officers of the highway authority ( usually the council ) to decide what form of traffic management is appropriate for the location.

It’s horses for courses really. Safety is the primary concern.

A “give and take” arrangement where traffic on one side gives way to the other is only usually appropriate on a side road with very light traffic. 

12 hours ago, Chekhov said:

the health and safety mob are on overload the insurers are now dictating the rules on highway traffic lights, where there is a blame there is  a claim, it started over in the usa!!!

15 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have noticed the opposite in recent months, around Leeds