Bus Services May Be Reduced By One Third.

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Sheffield Labour MP Louise Haigh in the commons yesterday saying in the whole of S Yorkshire there will be only 4 buses after 10 pm , is that true because I don’t believe her 

As usual, the lady speaks carp - you only have to look at the current provision, and the intended changes this month to see she hasn't got a clue.

Ha bloody hell. The 120 alone has that many after 10pm no doubt.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Sheffield Labour MP Louise Haigh in the commons yesterday saying in the whole of S Yorkshire there will be only 4 buses after 10 pm , is that true because I don’t believe her 

Don't really believe this.

But crazy things with economy have happened these days and do believe more crazy things could happen.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

When buses are privatised as a commercial concern it's all about profit rather than service, and we have no control over what they do.

I don't know why they were privatised in the first place, but surely this is a lesson in why they shouldn't have been. Let#s bring them back inder the control of the council, provide a public service and keep control.

36 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Well said, HHR. Council tax would rocket, they would still have to find the drivers - which commercial operators can't, so would they - unlikely.

Not 100% certain of the figures, but from memory, TfL have been bailed out to the tune of £6-8 million over the past financial year, and they are still screaming for more, and reducing services.

TfL is publically run. It's currently almost £5 BILLION in debt and begging the government for bailouts on a WEEKLY basis.  This is AFTER they made huge service cuts (bigger than SY ones)

No operator in SY is making a profit, in fact they're in the red by millions. Subsidies from the former SYPTE for tendered work and pass reimbursement initially were an insult yet they slashed those whilst increasing fees to the operators for facility use (bus stops/stations etc)

The former SYPTE did anything and everything it could to keep hold of funds given by government to improve services rather than actually spending it on service improvments. This new PTE (new name, same S***-show) will do the exact same. They already have, funding a scheme that in it's 9 month initial run made ZERO impact on passenger numbers. 

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Used to be the last buses were about 10pm. There were any buses till after 10am on a Sunday either. 

I know a few drivers and they often tell me on late duties, after 10pm, quite often they're just driving around on their own for 2 hours. 

Well said, @Resident - I thought the figure was 'billion' rather than 'million', but it sounded so absurd that I thought I'd misread it.

21 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Well said, @Resident - I thought the figure was 'billion' rather than 'million', but it sounded so absurd that I thought I'd misread it.

It is billions, but it turns out I was wrong about the full extent of TfL's debt. I had read a time-period restricted article. The whole truth is MUCH worse. 

As for borrowings, TfL had just under

£13 billion in debt at the end of March 2022, and TfL is allowed to borrow up to £14.5 billion if needed, however, borrowing can only be used for capital investments so won’t fill the gap between TfL’s costs and its income as we recover from the pandemic.

Link

So yeah, let's do the London model, doesn't matter if it's billions in debt, as long as Doris can go shopping with her trolley 6 times a week and pays nothing into the service she's using.....

Edited by Resident

3 minutes ago, Resident said:

It is billions, but it turns out I was wrong about the full extent of TfL's debt. I had read a time-period restricted article. The whole truth is MUCH worse. 

Link

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Resident said:

TfL is publically run. It's currently almost £5 BILLION in debt and begging the government for bailouts on a WEEKLY basis.  This is AFTER they made huge service cuts (bigger than SY ones)

No operator in SY is making a profit, in fact they're in the red by millions. Subsidies from the former SYPTE for tendered work and pass reimbursement initially were an insult yet they slashed those whilst increasing fees to the operators for facility use (bus stops/stations etc)

The former SYPTE did anything and everything it could to keep hold of funds given by government to improve services rather than actually spending it on service improvments. This new PTE (new name, same S***-show) will do the exact same. They already have, funding a scheme that in it's 9 month initial run made ZERO impact on passenger numbers. 

Used to be the last buses were about 10pm. There were any buses till after 10am on a Sunday either. 

I know a few drivers and they often tell me on late duties, after 10pm, quite often they're just driving around on their own for 2 hours. 

Yes when I used to have to do midnight's the passenger numbers were awful, certainly not enough to cover running costs. It will make no difference if it's put back into council run model, results will be the same.

I really don't get why people think anything would change, councils still have to balance the books. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Yes when I used to have to do midnight's the passenger numbers were awful, certainly not enough to cover running costs. It will make no difference if it's put back into council run model, results will be the same.

I really don't get why people think anything would change, councils still have to balance the books. 

Because they live with this utopian, rose-tinted view that Labour councils are the saviour. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Resident said:

Because they live with this utopian, rose-tinted view that Labour councils are the saviour. 

I dont think its that, I think its just a rose-tinted view of olden days.  Something something Hole In The Road something Cole Brothers something something Redgates something Castle Market  historical trading area something.

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, Anna B said:

When buses are privatised as a commercial concern it's all about profit rather than service, and we have no control over what they do.

I don't know why they were privatised in the first place, but surely this is a lesson in why they shouldn't have been. Let#s bring them back inder the control of the council, provide a public service and keep control.

So rather than have company's running buses at a slight profit (even though they are not) you would want to let the idiots who are causing this chaos to the few services they are responsible for gain control over the rest?

Buses today under the current regime are much safer (better maintained). The traffic commissioners have had no cause to visit the area and put hundreds of buses off the road over safety issues since they were taken out  of the local politicians hands. Local politicians should be kept away from local transport other than providing bus stations and bus stops. Its all they are capable of.

Not sure how accurate this is, but this article states that from October there will be only four routes (not buses) in South Yorkshire running after 10pm.  Three of these (the 8, 24 and X5) are in Sheffield.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/these-are-the-four-bus-services-that-will-run-across-south-yorkshire-past-10pm-after-cuts-hit-in-october-3753240