Bus Services May Be Reduced By One Third.

1 minute ago, spilldig said:

Regarding OAP bus passes that fault lies with consecutive governments who have ensured that the old age pension is the lowest in the civilised world.  These gimmicks like bus passes with strings attached need to be done away with and the pension vastly increased in line with other countries. 

Just now, spilldig said:

Regarding OAP bus passes that fault lies with consecutive governments who have ensured that the old age pension is the lowest in the civilised world.  These gimmicks like bus passes with strings attached need to be done away with and the pension vastly increased in line with other countries. 

What strings - apart from the start and end times of validity?

On 01/07/2022 at 13:45, HeHasRisen said:

I dont think its that, I think its just a rose-tinted view of olden days.  Something something Hole In The Road something Cole Brothers something something Redgates something Castle Market  historical trading area something.

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason people praise things like Castle Market/ Hole in the road.e.t.c is because they were so good?

Just now, RollingJ said:

What strings - apart from the start and end times of validity?

Those strings.

1 minute ago, spilldig said:

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason people praise things like Castle Market/ Hole in the road.e.t.c is because they were so good?

Those strings.

0930-2300 validity seems fair enough to me.

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

09:30 is entirely logical but I've have never seen the point of the 23:00 restriction - I know quite a few more elderly gentlemen who have to leave the pub earlier than they would otherwise wish so as to catch their last "free" bus home - despite the c23:15/23:30 actual last buses frequently running empty or very close to empty.

Just now, Martin C said:

09:30 is entirely logical but I've have never seen the point of the 23:00 restriction - I know quite a few more elderly gentlemen who have to leave the pub earlier than they would otherwise wish so as to catch their last "free" bus home - despite the c23:15/23:30 actual last buses frequently running empty or very close to empty.

Fair enough - I can't quite see the last restriction, but if they can afford the beer, they should be able to afford the fare.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I agree although the 2300 end time was a pain when I had to do lates, especially on the SL's up at Stockbridge so I don't see why it can't be 2359 instead, alot less aggro for drivers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

Behave yourself. Castle Market was a dive by the end and I wasnt around at the end of the life of the Hole but by all accounts it was a urine drenched subway.

28 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Behave yourself. Castle Market was a dive by the end and I wasnt around at the end of the life of the Hole but by all accounts it was a urine drenched subway.

For once, you're spot on! 👍😄

7 hours ago, Martin C said:

Personally I think the pass should end sooner rather than later. 

If they can afford to be in the pub all evening then they can afford the few quid for a bus ride home imo. 

These chaps aren't in the pub all evening - they don't appear until c.21:00.

I've still got a few years to go before I (hopefully) get a pass and only live 5 minutes walk from my local anyway but I do know people who are 'epilogue drinkers'.

19 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Not really because a lot of elderley have hospital appointments which can be at silly oclock and sometimes involve more than one bus journey, but that's really beside the point which is that succesive governments should stop treating OAPs as  second class citizens, show some respect and pay a reasonable pension instead of the poorest in the civilised world.

16 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ok, I can live with that so don't bring the subject up again HHR .