Bus Services May Be Reduced By One Third.

@Martin CHow does our esteemed mayor know what the situation will be in October? The bus companies don't have to inform the Traffic Commissioners until - if I remember correctly -  6 weeks prior to planned changes, so personally I think he's flying a kite.

Can't read the article without signing up, and I ain't doing that.

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Martin CHow does our esteemed mayor know what the situation will be in October? The bus companies don't have to inform the Traffic Commissioners until - if I remember correctly -  6 weeks prior to planned changes, so personally I think he's flying a kite.

Can't read the article without signing up, and I ain't doing that.

I don't know how he knows (or how the reporter knows that the mayor knows). I was merely linking the article.

Here's the text anyway.

"These are the four bus services that will run across South Yorkshire past 10pm after cuts hit in October

These are the four bus routes that will be operating past 10pm in South Yorkshire after operators announced devastating cuts to a raft of services across the county.

By George Torr, Local Democracy Reporter

Friday, 1st July 2022, 2:11 pm

South Yorkshire mayor Oliver Coppard said private companies did not even bid to run some routes and on others, they asked for 1,000 per cent more in resources to do so.

A draft plan seen by the Local Democracy Reporting Service shows that Barnsley could have zero buses running past 7pm.

But Stagecoach has indicated that services could resume in future as they are ‘now more profitable’.

Just four services will be running past 10pm come October

In Sheffield past 10pm, the number 8 route from Ecclesfield to Crystal Peaks will run as will the number 24 service from Woodhouse, the city centre and Bradway.

The X5 service from Sheffield city centre through Waverley, Woodhouse, Swallownest, Kiveton and Dinnington will run past 10pm but not after 11pm.

In Doncaster, the 50b service will be the only route to run past 10pm. This serves the town centre, Roman Ridge, Scawthorpe and Woodlands before terminating at Skellow. No buses will run past 11pm.

In Rotherham, no buses will run past 10pm but the X78 service which runs from Rotherham town centre, through Conisbrough and Doncaster town centre will end for the day between 9pm and 10pm.

Mayor Coppard said: “These cuts are devastating for our communities. To potentially have just four services across the county running after 10pm is so damaging to so many people.

“This will hammer our night time economy and hurt workers who are employed in sectors that need buses home in the evening – affecting hospitality workers and those who work in our hospitals will be hit hard.

“Boris Johnson and Grant Shapps (Transport Secretary) need to step up now and give us the power and resources to properly fund our transport system.

“This managed decline has been going on since the 1980s during the devastating deregulation days and to be fair, no Government since then has stepped up to the plate and sorted this out.

“Private companies are doing that private companies do, they run services for profit and for their shareholders. If they don’t see a route that’s profitable, they won’t run services on it.”

Cuts begin on July 24 in Sheffield and Rotherham with further cuts in October when Covid-19 support grants come to an end."

Ah, the esteemed mayor-in-waiting banging a potentially hollow drum for political reasons - it is a draft plan, therefore potential, not actual, proposals.

22 minutes ago, Martin C said:

I don't know how he knows (or how the reporter knows that the mayor knows). I was merely linking the article.

Here's the text anyway.

"These are the four bus services that will run across South Yorkshire past 10pm after cuts hit in October

These are the four bus routes that will be operating past 10pm in South Yorkshire after operators announced devastating cuts to a raft of services across the county.

By George Torr, Local Democracy Reporter

Friday, 1st July 2022, 2:11 pm

South Yorkshire mayor Oliver Coppard said private companies did not even bid to run some routes and on others, they asked for 1,000 per cent more in resources to do so.

A draft plan seen by the Local Democracy Reporting Service shows that Barnsley could have zero buses running past 7pm.

But Stagecoach has indicated that services could resume in future as they are ‘now more profitable’.

Just four services will be running past 10pm come October

In Sheffield past 10pm, the number 8 route from Ecclesfield to Crystal Peaks will run as will the number 24 service from Woodhouse, the city centre and Bradway.

The X5 service from Sheffield city centre through Waverley, Woodhouse, Swallownest, Kiveton and Dinnington will run past 10pm but not after 11pm.

In Doncaster, the 50b service will be the only route to run past 10pm. This serves the town centre, Roman Ridge, Scawthorpe and Woodlands before terminating at Skellow. No buses will run past 11pm.

In Rotherham, no buses will run past 10pm but the X78 service which runs from Rotherham town centre, through Conisbrough and Doncaster town centre will end for the day between 9pm and 10pm.

Mayor Coppard said: “These cuts are devastating for our communities. To potentially have just four services across the county running after 10pm is so damaging to so many people.

“This will hammer our night time economy and hurt workers who are employed in sectors that need buses home in the evening – affecting hospitality workers and those who work in our hospitals will be hit hard.

“Boris Johnson and Grant Shapps (Transport Secretary) need to step up now and give us the power and resources to properly fund our transport system.

“This managed decline has been going on since the 1980s during the devastating deregulation days and to be fair, no Government since then has stepped up to the plate and sorted this out.

“Private companies are doing that private companies do, they run services for profit and for their shareholders. If they don’t see a route that’s profitable, they won’t run services on it.”

Cuts begin on July 24 in Sheffield and Rotherham with further cuts in October when Covid-19 support grants come to an end."

So , if I am in town , I would have to catch a bus home before 10 pm . Is that correct ?

Just now, hackey lad said:

So , if I am in town , I would have to catch a bus home before 10 pm . Is that correct ?

If you believe Oliver, yes - but they always say you shouldn't trust a politician - so...

Just now, RollingJ said:

If you believe Oliver, yes - but they always say you shouldn't trust a politician - so...

:thumbsup:  . Sounds like someone is using emotional blackmail 

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

:thumbsup:  . Sounds like someone is using emotional blackmail 

Political gerrymandering.

7 hours ago, Resident said:

Because they live with this utopian, rose-tinted view that Labour councils are the saviour. 

This is Oliver Coppards  plan to get more control over buses 

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

This is Oliver Coppards  plan to get more control over buses 

Doomed to the same fate as his predecessors.

On 30/06/2022 at 11:36, driver151 said:

The following routes will have no provider:

Service 32/32a Sheffield – Firth Park – Parson Cross : Entire service will be withdrawn.

Service 135/135a Rotherham – Sheffield via Chapeltown: Early morning, evening and Saturday/Sunday services will be withdrawn.

Service 208 Whiston – Sheffield: Last evening trip from Sheffield – Whiston will be withdrawn. Sunday daytime service will be withdrawn.

Service X74 Sheffield – Tinsley Park: Some early morning and evening journeys withdrawn.

the head line abit over the top not as drastic as they make out, and i know this will affect a hand full of people but these hand full needs to be times by 10 and be on the bus each trip for them to keep them running

The other routes will be adjusted time wise maybe taking off or adding a bus here or there

can i ask what bus it is that you catch?

X78

Anyone would think that this is no fault of our council/mayor and the PTE from reading the press release

Let me remind you of the  SYPTE’s primary goals

To provide:

• a realistic alternative to the car that will encourage a shift in people’s mode of travel
  • quality transport for those without the use of a car to enable them to access jobs, education, shops, healthcare and other facilities; and
  • good public transport services linking businesses to employees and customers.

The PTE claims

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE)
is the driving force behind the development of public transport in South Yorkshire.

source: https://www.emta.com/spip.php?article59

From my source with SY public transport.

NOBODY, not even the bus companies, currently know the situation for the October changes. Negotiations regarding funding are still ongoing.

To me this is nothing more than an attempt to undermine public opinion and swing towards gaining control of public transport through decieving the public.