Bus Services May Be Reduced By One Third.

South Yorkshire buses may be reduced by one third as soon as 24july when existing covid grands will be stopped.

Well I'm not crying but government snapped their fingers and these grands appeared almost immediately now it's taking a very long time to end them.

On certain routes buses are getting overloaded and too full also at times they used to have few passengers on them few years ago.

It is pretty clear more and more people are using them at least this has been my observation. A tank of petrol is most expensive ever and there is a shortage of drivers. 

In past I have sometimes taken frustrations out at drivers but realise now we need them more than ever. Even when services are cut by a third. People like myself are dependent on them having a good car but GP telling not to use it. 

These grants were not going to last for ever, the country is now paying for all the money that was dished out like confetti.

If a route is financially viable with huge loading then it will stand on its own feet as a commercial enterprise, this isnt the case for every route though.

Having a go at the drivers is a bit pointless though.

• Like 2

They are taking away our one last bus service. Which was down to once an hour and nothing after 6ish in the week. If they say it’s due to passenger  numbers they’ve forced the decline providing an unworkable service. I’m disabled and I don’t drive and I have a job and medical stuff to get to and from. 

• Like 2

I walk longer distances now extra 5 or 10 minutes to places where more buses come. Other day checked first app and noticed first bus coming was 20 minutes away on a route they supposed to come every 8 minutes. Started walking immediately looking for alternatives. It's almost like playing chess with buses and time.

1 hour ago, dutch said:

South Yorkshire buses may be reduced by one third as soon as 24july when existing covid grands will be stopped.

Well I'm not crying but government snapped their fingers and these grands appeared almost immediately now it's taking a very long time to end them.

On certain routes buses are getting overloaded and too full also at times they used to have few passengers on them few years ago.

It is pretty clear more and more people are using them at least this has been my observation. A tank of petrol is most expensive ever and there is a shortage of drivers. 

In past I have sometimes taken frustrations out at drivers but realise now we need them more than ever. Even when services are cut by a third. People like myself are dependent on them having a good car but GP telling not to use it. 

Looking at the TSY detail on this, it appears to be a little bit of an exaggeration.

The following routes will have no provider:

Service 32/32a Sheffield – Firth Park – Parson Cross : Entire service will be withdrawn.

Service 135/135a Rotherham – Sheffield via Chapeltown: Early morning, evening and Saturday/Sunday services will be withdrawn.

Service 208 Whiston – Sheffield: Last evening trip from Sheffield – Whiston will be withdrawn. Sunday daytime service will be withdrawn.

Service X74 Sheffield – Tinsley Park: Some early morning and evening journeys withdrawn.

the head line abit over the top not as drastic as they make out, and i know this will affect a hand full of people but these hand full needs to be times by 10 and be on the bus each trip for them to keep them running

The other routes will be adjusted time wise maybe taking off or adding a bus here or there

1 hour ago, Maddy said:

They are taking away our one last bus service. Which was down to once an hour and nothing after 6ish in the week. If they say it’s due to passenger  numbers they’ve forced the decline providing an unworkable service. I’m disabled and I don’t drive and I have a job and medical stuff to get to and from. 

can i ask what bus it is that you catch?

• Like 1

There are two parts to this story.

July service changes

https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/newsupdates/service-changes

July is when most of the contracts end for buses on the tendered network - these buses are specified and funded by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) to supplement the commercial network. They are services that aren't financially viable commercially but considered socially or economically important to the communities they serve. Of course since the last contracts were let the cost of providing bus services has rocketed - cost of fuel, drivers wages, parts and everything else. The bus operators are also still struggling with driver availability coming out of Covid, however it appears on the face of it the mayor simply doesn't have the funds available to pay for these bus services to continue. He has however found money to pay for under 21s to travel incredibly cheaply and also for the new City Centre shoppers shuttle bus. I can't help wonder if the mayor has chosen to pay for those things instead of the axed bus services.

Potential October service cuts

The commercial bus network is currently operating with government Covid recovery support funding which ends in October. Public transport usage is still well down compared with pre-covid (passenger numbers currently down by about a third) which means many bus services that used to be financially viable aren't any longer and come October when the government support is withdrawn could face the axe. There are two answers to this - people need to buy tickets and use the services or the mayor needs to find funding to add them to the tendered network.

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andy C said:

There are two parts to this story.

July service changes

https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/newsupdates/service-changes

July is when most of the contracts end for buses on the tendered network - these buses are specified and funded by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) to supplement the commercial network. They are services that aren't financially viable commercially but considered socially or economically important to the communities they serve. Of course since the last contracts were let the cost of providing bus services has rocketed - cost of fuel, drivers wages, parts and everything else. The bus operators are also still struggling with driver availability coming out of Covid, however it appears on the face of it the mayor simply doesn't have the funds available to pay for these bus services to continue. He has however found money to pay for under 21s to travel incredibly cheaply and also for the new City Centre shoppers shuttle bus. I can't help wonder if the mayor has chosen to pay for those things instead of the axed bus services.

Potential October service cuts

The commercial bus network is currently operating with government Covid recovery support funding which ends in October. Public transport usage is still well down compared with pre-covid (passenger numbers currently down by about a third) which means many bus services that used to be financially viable aren't any longer and come October when the government support is withdrawn could face the axe. There are two answers to this - people need to buy tickets and use the services or the mayor needs to find funding to add them to the tendered network.

There was funding. He decided to use it to extend the 18-21 scheme which has had ZERO impact on passenger numbers during the first 9 month scheme. The thing is that it's 18-21 year olds that are paying passengers.  So reducing the prices to child fares & giving a poor subsidy in return is damaging not helping.

The other issue is the number of non-paying passengers, subsidised by the taxpayers. The eldery and disabled, from here known as NPT. One driver was telling me not long ago that in his first half of his duty (4.5hrs) he had processed 138 passengers. 136 of them being NPT. From what I understand the subsidy payments for these NPTs are absolutely abysmal and do NOT cover the cost of the journey. 

I'm not blaming the elderly/disabled but something needs to change in the way the services are paid for. I have spoken to quite a few elderly passengers and they have said that they really should pay something. 

TSY gives students a £1 single fare so why can't that be extended and used for NPTs, with the subsidy topping up the shortfall. Free travel is no longer viable as the number of elderly/disabled card holders has increased massively in recent years. 

10 minutes ago, Resident said:

There was funding. He decided to use it to extend the 18-21 scheme which has had ZERO impact on passenger numbers during the first 9 month scheme. The thing is that it's 18-21 year olds that are paying passengers.  So reducing the prices to child fares & giving a poor subsidy in return is damaging not helping.

The other issue is the number of non-paying passengers, subsidised by the taxpayers. The eldery and disabled, from here known as NPT. One driver was telling me not long ago that in his first half of his duty (4.5hrs) he had processed 138 passengers. 136 of them being NPT. From what I understand the subsidy payments for these NPTs are absolutely abysmal and do NOT cover the cost of the journey. 

I'm not blaming the elderly/disabled but something needs to change in the way the services are paid for. I have spoken to quite a few elderly passengers and they have said that they really should pay something. 

TSY gives students a £1 single fare so why can't that be extended and used for NPTs, with the subsidy topping up the shortfall. Free travel is no longer viable as the number of elderly/disabled card holders has increased massively in recent years. 

Would help if SYPTE/the mayor/whoever is responsible used the BSOG for its intended purpose and not to bolster their bank balance.

The council wants us to reduce our use of cars, so it reduces public transport.

That makes sense doesn't it?

Jeez, we really are turning into a banana republic....

The way things are at the moment I'd be happier with fewer scheduled buses for my journeys if it meant all journeys were covered. Every day I need a bus at the moment I end up checking apps, Twitter, and then First's daily list of cancelled services to be sure the time I want to get the bus their will be a bus that turns up. 

Anna, it isn't the councils fault -this time - bus services are mainly operated on a commercial basis, and if the operator makes a loss, they apply to cancel the service.

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The council wants us to reduce our use of cars, so it reduces public transport.

That makes sense doesn't it?

Jeez, we really are turning into a banana republic....