Do Shop Bought Rat Poisons Work?

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

They're taking the bait, loads of it. The comment I made in the opener about them dying of indigestion was only half joking. Either we are killing loads but they are dying elsewhere (you can tell when one dies as we get an infestation of flies), or they are immune to the poison.

Sounds like you've got loads of rats in the area, they're probably going back and dying in their nest somewhere.

Just gotta keep topping the boxes up.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2022 at 14:23, Padders said:

If it's of any help, I've got a flute he can borrow.

You keep your flute to your self, I have heard Padders bar is the new La chambra.  :suspect:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

I agree here. If I have rats on my garden then so does everyone else on my row of houses. I didn't put food out but they still came. Having a 24 hour McDonald's a few yards away just makes the problem worse. Or maybe it's McDonald's customers who indirectly caused the problem by eating their food at the end of my drive and discarding their leftovers in the gutter.

Either way, I had to fix the problem somehow and it isn't easy.

A quick bit of research on Google reveals "Rats can easily bond with humans"

With this in mind, perhaps they would appreciate a massage, a scratch behind the ears, or even a tickle.

Once trained up, you could bungle them in your car, and relocate them to some other vicinity.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

A quick bit of research on Google reveals "Rats can easily bond with humans"

With this in mind, perhaps they would appreciate a massage, a scratch behind the ears, or even a tickle.

Once trained up, you could bungle them in your car, and relocate them to some other vicinity.

I'll have to give that a try.

It can see it now....The_DADDY , rat whisperer.

Could be a whole new career for me 😁

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I am as certain as I can be that they're coming from somewhere else, there is literally nothing for them to eat in our shop (other than the bait we leave out for them......). But even if they aren't coming from somewhere else "our" rats could roam all over the place and, in fact, their off spring  could emigrate to pastures new infesting other properties. So no, I don't agree with you, I think rats are a communal problem.

Nothing to do with the flats above your shop then? 

10 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

Nothing to do with the flats above your shop then? 

I have regularly asked my tenants if they have seen any evidence of rats and the answer is always no. I can see no reason why they would lie about it so that is further evidence they are coming from elsewhere. 

If you have a "Rat Shop" as stated in the title, why would you want to poison the merchandise?

On 03/07/2022 at 15:08, cgksheff said:

If you have a "Rat Shop" as stated in the title, why would you want to poison the merchandise?

You are correct it's a typo, should be : Do shop bought rat poisons work......

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Rat traps do.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Titles can be edited. 👍

I suppose they must work or companies wouldn't keep buying the stuff but it does make me wonder if they get a bit immune to it after a time.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a pest control bloke in, does anyone know of a good one in Sheffield ?

Edited by Chekhov