Do Shop Bought Rat Poisons Work?

35 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Don't tell anybody of this method !!

My son had rats in the loft

I ran 2 bare copper wires round the edge of the loft, threaded them around insulated hooks.

One connected to the live, the other to earth

The little varmints never returned !

🤣And I get called ott for using an electric fence 🤣

22 minutes ago, Padders said:

I had an invasion of Italian Mice 🐭 🐭 🐭  (not rats) that took up residence in the cellar of "Padders Bar" in 2020.

They had come over to support Italy in the Euro's 2020.

All my Cheesy puffs were devoured, they eventually left when Italy beat England to win the competition.

Being half Italian I couldn't lose that year.

It's a pity I find football about as much fun as a dental appointment. 

Footnote.....Followed Wednesday as a lad so that put me off footy for life.

My Father -in-Law told me about rats infesting the butcher's shop he worked in at Broomhill in the 1930s.  One of the customers an old guy who worked at Sheffield Forge said I'll bringing you something to kill em, it's what we use in the snap cabin to kill the blighters.

That night they baited some meat with the poison they'd been given, next morning rats were piled high.

When the old guy came in the shop,  he said it's good stuff that Cyanide!!

Do you have any food at all in the shop? They can easily chew through packets and bags to get to the contents, even plastic tubs. Check all the cupboards.

13 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Being half Italian I couldn't lose that year.

It's a pity I find football about as much fun as a dental appointment. 

Footnote.....Followed Wednesday as a lad so that put me off footy for life.

Top Tip Daddy,

Keep of the football section, you will be Assassinated.

• Haha 1

You'll need multiple bait stations, I find a mix of the pasta bait and the wax block stuff works well.  A full pack of each bait in the station.

Asda have the pasta bait on sale during the summer, at half price most other places charge so grab a few packs!

Key thing is to check the station regularly, you'll get an idea of how many rats you're dealing with by how quickly the bait is consumed.

19 minutes ago, Padders said:

Top Tip Daddy,

Keep of the football section, you will be Assassinated.

Cheers Padders. I'll be sure to give it a wide berth👍

2 hours ago, andysm said:

Do you have any food at all in the shop? They can easily chew through packets and bags to get to the contents, even plastic tubs. Check all the cupboards.

We keep no food in the shop apart from some choc bars in my closed desk and some stuff in a closed fridge.

I hardly ever, if ever, see evidence of them chewing anything in the shop, just in the suspended ceiling. I think they live elsewhere and just com exploring round our shop..... Thus proving rats are a communal problem and as such should be a council responsibility.

2 hours ago, geared said:

You'll need multiple bait stations, I find a mix of the pasta bait and the wax block stuff works well.  A full pack of each bait in the station.

Asda have the pasta bait on sale during the summer, at half price most other places charge so grab a few packs!

Key thing is to check the station regularly, you'll get an idea of how many rats you're dealing with by how quickly the bait is consumed.

They're taking the bait, loads of it. The comment I made in the opener about them dying of indigestion was only half joking. Either we are killing loads but they are dying elsewhere (you can tell when one dies as we get an infestation of flies), or they are immune to the poison.

Edited by Chekhov

Guest sibon
7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

We keep no food in the shop apart from some choc bars in my closed desk and some stuff in a closed fridge.

I hardly ever, if ever, see evidence of them chewing anything in the shop, just in the suspended ceiling. I think they live elsewhere and just com exploring round our shop..... Thus proving rats are a communal problem and as such should be a council responsibility.

Not really. Your shop, your problem. 

However, rats do like fats and stuff like that. Do you keep any waxes, or oils or anything in the shop. 

They will be there for a reason. That reason will almost certainly be either shelter, food or both. Is there any insulation in the ceiling? Or nearby?

Edited by sibon

3 hours ago, sibon said:

Not really. Your shop, your problem. 

However, rats do like fats and stuff like that. Do you keep any waxes, or oils or anything in the shop. 

They will be there for a reason. That reason will almost certainly be either shelter, food or both. Is there any insulation in the ceiling? Or nearby?

I am as certain as I can be that they're coming from somewhere else, there is literally nothing for them to eat in our shop (other than the bait we leave out for them......). But even if they aren't coming from somewhere else "our" rats could roam all over the place and, in fact, their off spring  could emigrate to pastures new infesting other properties. So no, I don't agree with you, I think rats are a communal problem.

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I am as certain as I can be that they're coming from somewhere else, there is literally nothing for them to eat in our shop (other than the bait we leave out for them......). But even if they aren't coming from somewhere else "our" rats could roam all over the place and, in fact, their off spring  could emigrate to pastures new infesting other properties. So no, I don't agree with you, I think rats are a communal problem.

My bold.

I agree here. If I have rats on my garden then so does everyone else on my row of houses. I didn't put food out but they still came. Having a 24 hour McDonald's a few yards away just makes the problem worse. Or maybe it's McDonald's customers who indirectly caused the problem by eating their food at the end of my drive and discarding their leftovers in the gutter.

Either way, I had to fix the problem somehow and it isn't easy.

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

I agree here. If I have rats on my garden then so does everyone else on my row of houses. I didn't put food out but they still came. Having a 24 hour McDonald's a few yards away just makes the problem worse. Or maybe it's McDonald's customers who indirectly caused the problem by eating their food at the end of my drive and discarding their leftovers in the gutter.

Either way, I had to fix the problem somehow and it isn't easy.

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I’m not saying that they are easy to deal with,  just that I think that people are responsible for their own property. 

Living near takeaways can be a pain in many ways, noise,  litter and rats.  I think that the takeaways should have to help with those issues. Some do, some don’t.

The council do their bit too. I think it is about £100 to get them out to deal with rats. Rentokil are about double that.