She Who Can Not Be Named.

I'm talking about J.K. Rowling.

There is a PR attempt to separate J.K. Rowling from the Harry Potter franchise, even the actors have been instructed to not utter her name in interviews.  This is all because she has voiced her concerns about some aspects of trans activism and it's agenda. Sharon Davies, the former athlete is suffering in a similar way for the same reasons.

Isn't it sad that these two great women that have both excelled in their chosen fields and are an inspiration to  women and girls, have been decanted from public life because they have expressed an opinion?

https://www.google.com/search?q=jk+rowling&rlz=1C1CHZN_enGB989GB989&sxsrf=ALiCzsZpmJohsetHlT2ChC3OvYrJkJh7BQ:1656446359831&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6r_fG99D4AhWIXsAKHV3kDAcQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1366&bih=625&dpr=1

• Thanks 1

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

There is a PR attempt to separate J.K. Rowling from the Harry Potter franchise, even the actors have been instructed to not utter her name in interviews.  This is all because she has voiced her concerns about some aspects of trans activism and it's agenda. Sharon Davies, the former athlete is suffering in a similar way for the same reasons.

Isn't it sad that these two great women that have both excelled in their chosen fields and are an inspiration to  women and girls, have been decanted from public life because they have expressed an opinion?

It is incredibly sad.

I know that the issues are difficult, intractable almost, but the way that debate about trans people has been polarised is distinctly unhelpful.

Its an issue that is virtually impossible to debate in any kind of sensible manner. People on all sides of the debate shut each other down, hurl insults and refuse to engage.

Rowling is brave for speaking out so frequently. I’m not convinced that she is 100% correct, but it would be good if her views sparked constructive debate rather than hatred, threats and insults.

Edited by sibon

16 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jk+rowling&rlz=1C1CHZN_enGB989GB989&sxsrf=ALiCzsZpmJohsetHlT2ChC3OvYrJkJh7BQ:1656446359831&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6r_fG99D4AhWIXsAKHV3kDAcQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1366&bih=625&dpr=1

It's all very depressing and rather sinister in my view.

Perhaps they've been advised not to talk about J.  K.  Rowling's opinions in case they are targeted by extremists.

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

Perhaps they've been advised not to talk about J.  K.  Rowling's opinions in case they are targeted by extremists.

Even that is wrong . 

I have a feeling that quite a few of those who've been slapping down homophobic bigots on here for many a long year are aghast that a previously lauded apparent lefty liberal like JK Rowling has taken the position she has.  I know I was.  I was considerably less so by the time that extreme right winger Guardian journalist Hadley Freeman came out in support.

For those who are still shouting 'terf!' at JKR, have a think about why the most unexpected of people - largely women, in my experience -  have taken a position that's contrary to your expectations.

Read this, by Hadley Freeman: Why I stopped being a good girl.

ETA: I assumed that everyone had read JKR's essay about sex and gender issues from two years ago.  But if not, here it is.

Edited by Hecate
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hecate said:

I have a feeling that quite a few of those who've been slapping down homophobic bigots on here for many a long year are aghast that a previously lauded apparent lefty liberal like JK Rowling has taken the position she has.  I know I was.  I was considerably less so by the time that extreme right winger Guardian journalist Hadley Freeman came out in support.

For those who are still shouting 'terf!' at JKR, have a think about why the most unexpected of people - largely women, in my experience -  have taken a position that's contrary to your expectations.

Read this, by Hadley Freeman: Why I stopped being a good girl.

ETA: I assumed that everyone had read JKR's essay about sex and gender issues from two years ago.  But if not, here it is.

Terf  ? 

Guest makapaka
16 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

The absolute madness of the views of men pretending to be women -  being given priority over the views of women.

nuts

53 minutes ago, makapaka said:

The absolute madness of the views of men pretending to be women -  being given priority over the views of women.

nuts

Yes, some trans women still have those👍

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Terf  ? 

Trans exclusionary radical feminist, a term of abuse that people like the delightful Owen Jones disingenuously suggest should be used synonymously with 'transphobe' and now almost exclusively is. Most labelled as 'terfs' are as radical as a cup of coffee, but are critical or sceptical of gender identity ideology (essentially that being a woman or a man is a sense or feeling, thus excluding the material reality of sex), and who support sex-based rights.

16 hours ago, sibon said:

It is incredibly sad.

I know that the issues are difficult, intractable almost, but the way that debate about trans people has been polarised is distinctly unhelpful.

Its an issue that is virtually impossible to debate in any kind of sensible manner. People on all sides of the debate shut each other down, hurl insults and refuse to engage.

Rowling is brave for speaking out so frequently. I’m not convinced that she is 100% correct, but it would be good if her views sparked constructive debate rather than hatred, threats and insults.

The bigger point of course is the almost universal condemnation in today's society, of those who's views differe from the WOKE dogma.

I'm not familiar with the women mentioned above, but I would lay odds, they voiced their opinions, without "hatred, threats and insults".

Guest sibon
12 minutes ago, trastrick said:

The bigger point of course is the almost universal condemnation in today's society, of those who's views differe from the WOKE dogma.

I'm not familiar with the women mentioned above, but I would lay odds, they voiced their opinions, without "hatred, threats and insults".

Trouble is, people polarise the issue and use silly terms to categorise people.

If you see what I mean…