In 1865 Theophilus Smith published a book of photographs entitled Sheffield and its Neighbourhood. One of the pictures shows a family in a wooded area with the title Ribbledene. Historic England seem to think that it is somewhere along the Rivelin Valley. Can anybody pin it down more accurately for me?

For those interested, you can see (and download) the pictures from the book at the Getty Museum website, at this link:

https://www.getty.edu/art/collection/object/104H8R

Could be - I'm guessing he named his house after the place so presumably he knew exactly where it was. Coincidentally I do actually have both of the books he published as well.

In the late 1830's painter John Birch and his friend Ebenezer Elliott, the poet, walked out to Rivelin.  On arriving at a very picturesque spot, Elliott suggested that the rocks and stream would make a good background for a portrait.  Whereupon Birch began drafting a portrait of Elliott.  While Birch was busy with his pencil Elliott wrote his poem "Ribbleden, or the Christening".  The first few lines run:

No name hast thou ! Lone streamlet,

That lovest Rivelin,

Then, if a bard may christen thee,

I'll call thee Ribbleden

and engraved on Elliotts statue is:

....And there he sits, as erst in summer noon,

He sat on mossy rock in Ribbledene,

Weaving a strain which will not perish soon,

Of that sweet dell, its banks wild-flower'd and green....

The brook referred to as Ribbledene is the Blackbrook, which crosses the A57 just before you reach the old post office.

I knew someone on here would know! Thank you very much.