Sign in to follow this  

Tinsley Roundabout Lane Question.

Hi. Can somone please settle A very minor disagreement?

Tinsley roundabout . Which is the correct lane to be in if you are going to travel down Bawtry Road?

Thanks in advance 🙏

Which direction have you come from?

Assuming from Meadowhall past TGI Fridays it would be the middle lane of 3. Lane 1 peels off under the viaduct almost straight away, Lane 2 lets you access Sheffield Rd and then peels off onto Bawtry Rd. The layout changed a few years back.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Which direction have you come from?

Assuming from Meadowhall past TGI Fridays it would be the middle lane of 3. Lane 1 peels off under the viaduct almost straight away, Lane 2 lets you access Sheffield Rd and then peels off onto Bawtry Rd. The layout changed a few years back.

Sorry, should have said. Yeah it's past TGI Fridays and Meadowhall retail park. 

Thanks for the answer, I thought as much but when someone has a bee in their bonnet they can almost convince you of anything.

I was almost convinced it was the left hand lane I've had it hammered into my head so much.

Cheers matey 🙏

The satellite view on Google Maps clearly shows the two lanes peeling off as I described if you want some actual pictorial evidence.

I use the roundabout every day to enter Bawtry Road from the Tinsley M1 J34 S roundabout. I often cycle on the roundabout which slows traffic down and people like it as they have more time to understand the surrounding vehicles and react to those that have trouble knowing which lane to be in.

Since the roundabout has changed to tornado throw off lanes it has made knowing which lane to be in difficult as  there is often traffic parked over the signs painted on the road and the road signs show the junctions but not which lane to be in.

There is a kamakazee section under the viaduct with people in the left lane wanting to go straight on and people in the middle lane wanting to turn left from Meadowhall.

The correct lane to be in for Bawtry Road in the right hand lane on Shepcote Lane and the middle lane on Sheffield Road (from Meadowhall).

I wouldn't worry about being in the right or wrong lane as long as people have the courtesy to understand that drivers do get it wrong and allow them to manouvre without getting irrate.

I do however, absolutely hate those that go in the left lane and accelerate hard to go onto the roundabout when they should be exiting to save waiting a few cars back in the correct lane.

Please avoid Tinsley Roundabout in a vehicle for the next month as the road closure under the viaduct is causing the roundabout to become completely blocked.

People are stuck for an hour on Shepcote Lane.

Edited by Findlay

5 minutes ago, Findlay said:

Please avoid Tinsley Roundabout in a vehicle for the next month as the road closure under the viaduct is causing the roundabout to become completely blocked.

People are stuck for an hour on Shepcote Lane.

Apart from the 1st few days of the road words (utter carnage) I've had no problems.  Went Tinsley way on Monday and Wednesday and breezed straight through.

We were probably just lucky though so I'd still say allow extra journey time and keep an eye out for traffic updates.

Edited by The_DADDY

On 27/06/2022 at 20:00, The_DADDY said:

Hi. Can somone please settle A very minor disagreement?

Tinsley roundabout . Which is the correct lane to be in if you are going to travel down Bawtry Road?

Thanks in advance 🙏

It depends tbh. 

Do you have a taxi plate on the back of the car? 

If so just use any lane you want. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Resident said:

It depends tbh. 

Do you have a taxi plate on the back of the car? 

If so just use any lane you want. 

Haha. No I don't but I certainly know what you mean. 

If coming from A6178 Sheffield Road (Attercliffe/TGI) it would be the middle lane as marked A631.

Lane 1 (left) is for the A631 Tinsley Viaduct and A6178 Rotherham, Lane 2 is for the A631 Bawtry Road and M1 (S), Lane 3 is for M1 (S) and A631 Shepcote Lane.

Guest busdriver1
10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Apart from the 1st few days of the road words (utter carnage) I've had no problems.  Went Tinsley way on Monday and Wednesday and breezed straight through.

We were probably just lucky though so I'd still say allow extra journey time and keep an eye out for traffic updates.

Absolute mayhem Thursday night. Apparently traffic going to the football at Rotherham was advised to use junction 33 as there are roadworks at 32 🙂 

Does that mean there are non at 33 then?