Sir Paul McCartney Please Retire !

19 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I’ve never been a fan of events of  this size, but for those that are you should have got used to taking the rough with the smooth.

I think the problem is, when you get an enormous crowd like that at a festival, the adrenaline is so high, that they all sing along with the artist onstage, and don’t realise that the singer isn’t that good. 

5 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I think the problem is, when you get an enormous crowd like that at a festival, the adrenaline is so high, that they all sing along with the artist onstage, and don’t realise that the singer isn’t that good. 

Yes, I recall Joe Cocker performing at the Penny Farthing in front of circa 200 listening fans, he was far better than when he had thousands singing along with him, good call Pat. 👍

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Yes, I recall Joe Cocker performing at the Penny Farthing in front of circa 200 listening fans, he was far better than when he had thousands singing along with him, good call Pat. 👍

Absolutely agree with you. I’ve seen many older singers live at The City Hall and they have sounded as good as they did years ago. 

43 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Surely part of the point of attending a festival like Glastonbury is to become immersed in the group dynamics. It's a big part of the experience and provides individual memories; to say 'I was there'.

McCartney performed at the Cheese and Grain, a much smaller venue in Frome on Friday night and no doubt he sounded much better then.

If folks want perfection they listen to the original recording.

echo.

• Like 1

Is anybody on here any good now at doing the job they were doing 40 years ago or more?

Edited by Gormenghast

35 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

Is anybody on here any good now at doing the job they were doing 40 years ago or more?

I was a test pilot for mattresses, probably even better now.😉

What a miserable thread.

Having a pop at an 80 year old banging out some of the best tunes ever written from the last 6 decades, in what sounded much like the original key, while you sit there with your feet up contributing nothing. He played 3 hrs, could have done 10, and you'd still know just about every song.

If it sounded crap to your ears, perhaps you need someone to look at the sound settings on your telly. It was fine

Compare it to the lip-syncing vocalists of today, who seem to record repetitive formulaic bland songs with a gobstopper in their mouth, which then get auto-tuned to death.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

I am still good at my job,  I have never and still havn't had a complaint about putting the hole in Polo's unlike Santa who keeps getting the Sack. :hihi:

Opinions don't you just love them?

22 hours ago, echo beach said:

That's a bit harsh Pattricia. 'Walk to the nursing home!'

I can only hope  in a few years time when I become an octogenarian I have the energy and stamina to stand for nearly 3 hours, let alone entertain 200,000 people on stage.

Admittedly his voice has thinned and grown weaker , but that goes for lots of singers. Even Sinatra suffered.

Sound quality is also more difficult in outdoor situations like Glastonbury. Don't forget when he was in the Beatles he harmonized with both John and George to create a unique sound in the most influential band there's ever been.

Nobody has a more universally known and loved back catalogue than Macca and the Beatles.

Paul is a vintage musician playing his own songs so give him some credit.

You only had to look at the response of the multi-generational crowd last night to see that he is still appreciated by many.

I missed seeing the 'Fab 4' in live concert originally but managed to attend  McCartney's Sheffield date at the Arena in 2003. That night was more than just a concert; it was almost magical listening to someone who was part of creating the soundtrack of my youth and I think many of the people there felt the same.

He did play more Beatles songs then though and I agree he could have done so last night.

echo.

Fully agree with this, not seen his set yet as I was out Saturday but can't wait to watch it.

I'm gutted I missed that show at the Arena, can't believe I didn't go and when I look at the setlist from the night it makes me feel even sicker that I didn't see it.

I wonder if the 20 year old Paul McCartney ever went to a festival and saw an 80 year old singing songs he’d first recorded on wax cylinders in 1903.

The awkward thing for Paul McCartney in terms of his PR and legacy is that he has lived and grown old and been active throughout, which for many people has tainted him - "familiarity-breeds-contempt" and all that, whereas John Lennon and George Harrison, who had untimely deaths, have become deified due to  the fact they haven't been able to get on peoples nerves even if they were able to.

Edited by HumbleNarrator