Changing Mobile Phone Number

I have a cheap concessionary sim card with Talktalk broadband (Vodaphone network) and a second phone using PAYGo sim card with Tesco Mobile (O2 network). I would like to transfer the Tesco number over to Talktalk. Is this feasible, and where do I start?

Go on the Tesco mobile website and look for the text number to request the PAC code. You can phone them but they'll give you the blurb about staying.

Use the PAC code you'll get via text message on your Talktalk account, this will transfer the Tesco phone number to the Talktalk SIM. I think you have 30 days to use it. If you miss the 30 day limit, just repeat. Its not a 'once only' thing'.

Talktalk should message you with a day of the swap over. You'll be without a phone for a short time. I'm with O2 and it was about 30 minutes.

Use any credit on your Tesco SIM. If you don't, you'll just lose it.

Thanks. I'm having fibre upgrade installed with talktalk on Wednesday and there is an issue with logging into my account so I'll have to wait till that's sorted.  Meanwhile, I'll check out the Tesco website.

Following on from Zach's post, I gather the procedure for porting over your existing number is now easier than ever in that you no longer have to speak to your current provider with all the possibilities for begging you to stay that this involves. I got the info below from a Google search and I know it works as I have used it myself and the required code came back like lightning. Good luck.

Getting a PAC code from your network is easy. As of July 2019, all you have to do – no matter what network you're requesting the code from – is text 'PAC' to 65075, using the number that you want to keep.

Edited by silverglade5

19 hours ago, silverglade5 said:

Following on from Zach's post, I gather the procedure for porting over your existing number is now easier than ever in that you no longer have to speak to your current provider with all the possibilities for begging you to stay that this involves. I got the info below from a Google search and I know it works as I have used it myself and the required code came back like lightning. Good luck.

Getting a PAC code from your network is easy. As of July 2019, all you have to do – no matter what network you're requesting the code from – is text 'PAC' to 65075, using the number that you want to keep.

I will follow that, I'm just in a transition with my broadband/linked mobile with talktalk at the moment, I forgot to ask them whether the mobile concession rate applies after the fibre upgrade.

Text PAC to 85075 and they'll give you a code, which has to be used within 1 calendar month.

Thanks for the update, the temporary number could be very useful.

@carosio - ignore post #9 - it is a spammer.

Edited by RollingJ